Aston Villa 1-3 Everton. 25th August @ 15.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And lets do the same for United hey, may as well innit :

Howard £3m v De Gea 19m
Neville £3.5m v Valencia 16m
Jagielka £4.5m v Vidic 7m
Distin £5.5m v Carrick 18m
Baines £6.6m v Evra 5.5m
Gibson £0.5m v Scholes Free
Osman Free v Cleverley Free
Naismith Free v Kagawa 12m
Pienaar £4.5m v Nani 13m
Fellaini £15m v Rooney 27m
Jelavic £5m v Welbeck Free

£48.1m v £117.50

They made subs worth £58m in total

I like this game!

And United should be beating us. They'll probably argue that they were forced to play two midfielders in defence and it will be a different story at Old Trafford.

We know that there's a chasm in spending between us and the CL league sides. However there will be many who argue that Fulham can spend £10m on Ruiz and Sunderland can fork out £12m for Fletcher and so they should be ahead of us. The fact of the matter is that our money is already on the pitch and that they wouldn't be able to spend what it would take to get a side as valuable as ours.

They've both spent more than us in both gross and net over the last ten years. We've just done it better.

The presumption is that because we haven't had money to spend that we have a team assembled from the bargain bin. Whereas in reality the average cost per position is £5.3m. We've just done it over a number of years. Other teams have a much higher turn over of players and, even though they have spent large sums, they've recouped much of it back and gone for cheaper alternatives instead.

Sunderland spent a lot of Bent, Jones, Gyan, Chopra and Gordon, but have moved them all on as well as Henderson.

Villa paid far too much for Petrov (£8.8m), Knight (£4.1m), Harewood (£4.8m), Reo-Coker (£11m), Cuellar (£8.8m), Davies (£8.8m) and Collins (£5m). They will have made big losses in each case and replaced them with reserve team players.

The presumption is that because we haven't had money to spend that we have a team assembled from the bargain bin. Whereas in reality the average cost per position is £5.3m. We've just done it over a number of years. Other teams have a much higher turn over of players and, even though they have spent large sums, they've recouped much of it back and gone for cheaper alternatives instead.

Well no because they've spent more in net. That's what net means.

They've spent both more actual money and more money not funded by outgoings than us and we have a better more expensive team. That's good management, end of story.

He's brilliant at the financial side of the game, I've never argued otherwise. Put him as director of football and get someone else to pick the team and I'd be ecstatic.

I'd be careful what you wish for, Neville and Stubbs are being primed as we speak.

Well no because they've spent more in net. That's what net means.

They've spent both more actual money and more money not funded by outgoings than us and we have a better more expensive team. That's good management, end of story.

Ok, they've recouped some of it back. Forgetting how we each got to that point, if you compare the team we have available to that of our rivals ours is more expensive and better, so we should expect to beat them. And they're unlikely to have the money available going forward to match our value per position.

Ok, they've recouped some of it back. Forgetting how we each got to that point, if you compare the team we have available to that of our rivals ours is more expensive and better, so we should expect to beat them. And they're unlikely to have the money available going forward to match our value per position.

But the orginial argument was that Moyes has done nothing special to finish above those teams as he's had more money to spend and so it's the just natural order of things. But he hasn't had mroe money to spend, he's spent less in both gross and net.

Why should we forget how both teams got to that point when we got to that point because Moyes is good at building a squad and they got to that point because they're managers aren't. I don't see how you can argue that it's not Moyes thats made the difference.

But the orginial argument was that Moyes has done nothing special to finish above those teams as he's had more money to spend and so it's the just natural order of things. But he hasn't had mroe money to spend, he's spent less in both gross and net.

Why should we forget how both teams got to that point when we got to that point because Moyes is good at building a squad and they got to that point because they're managers aren't. I don't see how you can argue that it's not Moyes thats made the difference.

I think we're arguing slightly different points. I think the outsiders' view of Everton is that we've had to put a side together cheaply and that team spirit and Moyes' eye for a bargain are what set us apart. But we don't have the sort of team that you'd expect for a club who went about five windows without buying anyone and who have sold Lescott, Arteta, Cahill and Rodwell in recent years. We don't have a lot of bosmans, journeymen and players plucked from obscurity. We have mostly internationals and players who would command healthy transfer fees.

I agree that Moyes has done well. I'm not differing with you on that point. I also accept that other teams have spent more. What I'm saying is that when you compare our playing personnel to Stoke, Fulham, Sunderland or Villa we are easily superior and should expect to get results. That is down to us trading better than other sides. But expectations shouldn't be so low about not having money to spend because our team is much more valuable and more complete than most of our rivals.

Maybe I'm not explaining it very well or it's not something that is easy to express this way. My basic point is that when you line our side up against most of the other sides chasing Europa League football even our fullbacks (Neville and Baines) cost over £5m on average compared to bosmans at a lot of clubs, so we should expect our players to be better than there's.

Since there isn't a Pienaar thread I'll post his performance here.

[video=youtube;nLqvuNzlk4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLqvuNzlk4I&feature=plcp[/video]​

Status
Not open for further replies.