Are we stronger now than when we finished the season?

IS THETEAM STRONGER?

• YES

Votes: 194 47.9%
  • NO

Votes: 69 17.0%
  • KINDA MAYBE POSSIBLY WHO REALLY KNOWS LAD

Votes: 142 35.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A little better off. 7th. 6th at a push. Just being realistic like. Decent window but all above us have strengthened on par.

Defence is considerably weaker
Midfield is hard to tell - will Delph and Gbamin work out to be better than having Gueye?
In wide areas we are weaker - last season we had 4 first team squad wingers. We now have 3
The only area we have demonstrably got stronger in is in attack

I think that claiming we are any "stronger" is really debatable in all honesty

How can people say better

We've lost Gana, Zouma and Jags

All our incomings our gambles who may or may not do well and an injury prone Delph.

No spinning this one and I think Silva will be very annoyed.

Very poor recruitment strategy placing all their eggs in one basket for Zouma. Cannot believe Brands would be so stupid not to have a backup plan. Same with Zaha. We’ve lost arguably our best defender from last season and our best midfielder. As it stands we’re going in to the season with Holgate and Gibson as our back up centre halves. That is unacceptable when they’ve had all summer to sort this.

As for our wingers, we’re left with Walcott, Bolasie and Mirallas as backup. Diabolical. This trio would struggle to get game time in the Championship.

I don’t doubt we’ve signed some extra quality (particularly Kean) but there’s too many big gaps in the squad.

Another season of scrapping for 7th beckons. Very disappointing after the early positive signs from this transfer window.

I actually like how our attack and midfield looks, minus a lack of depth on the wings. CB is a real concern though. Though I suppose Gbamin can cover there, so maybe it's not as dire as it seems.

Got a striker we were desperate for, however lost one of our best players and replaced with a very good player (but different) in Gueye and an untested CM.

Nobody cares about a backup keeper

A good player for RB cover, but its just that, cover.

Lost a quality CB, no replacement

Lost a winger with big potential, no replacement.

I would say yes, we are stronger.

Positions we were looking at:

RB - STRONGER. Most underrated signing IMO, we had a fair few games with Kenny stepping in last season and now have someone who looks like he'll fit the system really well.
CB- WEAKER. But only if Mina has injury problems otherwise this is a HOLD for me. Mina had a rough ride with injuries last year but is coming into this season having had a year to settle and he's fit. I don't think there is much in a Keane / Mina partnership vs a Keane / Zouma partnership personally when all fit, and we basically played a lot of last season with only two fit senior CBs due to injuries anyway. Rojo as a further back-up with Holgate and I don't think we are significantly weaker in this position than we were last year.
CM- STRONGER. Gomes permanently signed with a full pre-season gives us more than we had at the start of the season last year. Gbamin in to replace Gana seems to give us more versatility and options with our system. Delph adds experience and quality as well.
CF- STRONGER. Kean in to compete with DCL (who improved last year). Definitely stronger.
RW - HOLD. Lookman was never comfortable there anyway so I don't see it as a loss and some of Richarlisons best games were on the right when he replaced Walcott last year.

Got a striker we were desperate for, however lost one of our best players and replaced with a very good player (but different) in Gueye and an untested CM.

Nobody cares about a backup keeper

A good player for RB cover, but its just that, cover.

Lost a quality CB, no replacement

Lost a winger with big potential, no replacement.
he made no impact on the team at all last season although we still should have gotten a winger.

Yes as we have got rid of a lot of dross who didn't want to be here, more to go though and the sooner they are gone the better.

Not sure, time will tell I guess, let the narcissistic ones tear each other apart regardless , they fully deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.