Are we in worse shape than 1994/5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we underestimated how long it would take for the team to come together with so many changes in personnel. Add in the fact that we had a diabolical (random lol) fixture list and we are just now starting to have some understanding among players

It's easy to say that now.But we were in dire straights that time.We could barely win a match for love nor money, after Koeman spending 140 million on rubbish, and an out of his depth Unsy, manning the forth for an entire month.Big Sam has turned it around big time.But we were a basket case a few weeks ago.The concern was justified.

It's easy to say that now.But we were in dire straights that time.We could barely win a match for love nor money, after Koeman spending 140 million on rubbish, and an out of his depth Unsy, manning the forth for an entire month.Big Sam has turned it around big time.But we were a basket case a few weeks ago.The concern was justified.

The thing is everyone was saying 'yes, because at least in 94-95 we had some fight' but they were thinking about the 94-95 team under Joe Royle.

The 94-95 team under mike walker had no fight at all. The fight was put into them by a manager who could get them fighting. As it was this time.

The thing is everyone was saying 'yes, because at least in 94-95 we had some fight' but they were thinking about the 94-95 team under Joe Royle.

The 94-95 team under mike walker had no fight at all. The fight was put into them by a manager who could get them fighting. As it was this time.

Exactly.

I said that earlier in the thread.

It was that same team whose spineless performances not only at the beginning of the '94/95 but for most of the previous one had left us sitting plum bottom of the table a mere six months after escaping relegation by the skin of its teeth.

All it took was a change of manager.

Joe didn't fetch in the Dogs of War himself....they were already in our kennel when he arrived.

He just fed them a bit of raw meat then starved them for a few days before unleashing them against the RS :dance:

..usually there’s one team who look to have gotten out of the relegation scrap but get sucked back in. 20 points at Christmas keeps your head above water, 25 or more is fine.

we are in better shape than last season...

Not to be pedantic, but we're actually one point short of where we were this time last season :p

After the Arsenal game on 13th December 2016, we had 23 points. Having scored 21 and conceded 20.

We're on 22 points as of the same date, despite our abysmal start. We've scored 22, but have conceded 29.

Obviously, we have the added disappointment of the Europa Lg this term, but league wise we're in the same position, minus a point and some gash defending.

However, last year we did have the Lukaku factor. He was on 9 goals at this stage last season, but went on to more than double that tally by the end of February.

Whether Rooney can do that this time around remains to be seen.

Disagree. As I said at the time, we were in a poor run of form which was always likely to turn around, especially since we had a very favourable run of fixtures coming up. I agree that Unsworth was out of his depth but let's not forget he got 7 points out of his 5 league games in charge. Allardyce has come in and got us a bit more organised which is great. We've had a bit of luck with deflections, soft pens and the woodwork saving us which wasn't necessarily happening for us earlier in the season and suddenly we look a lot healthier. In my opinion all the talk of us being in crisis and relegation certainties was absolute nonsense - not because we were good but because most of this league is absolutely awful.

Disagree. As I said at the time, we were in a poor run of form which was always likely to turn around, especially since we had a very favourable run of fixtures coming up. I agree that Unsworth was out of his depth but let's not forget he got 7 points out of his 5 league games in charge. Allardyce has come in and got us a bit more organised which is great. We've had a bit of luck with deflections, soft pens and the woodwork saving us which wasn't necessarily happening for us earlier in the season and suddenly we look a lot healthier. In my opinion all the talk of us being in crisis and relegation certainties was absolute nonsense - not because we were good but because most of this league is absolutely awful.

My worry was how many goals we were leaking mate. That stopping - as you say, part down to luck, part down to organisation - is what has seen us move up the table.

The performances still aren't great but we're working our way up slowly and surely. That gap we've put between ourselves and the bottom half of the table is great and was desperately needed.

Game by game though. Need to do Swansea now.

Status
Not open for further replies.