Are we in worse shape than 1994/5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It goes without saying that we had a better keeper in 94. Jackson Watson Ablett and Hinchcliffe were also miles better than the current back 4 in my opinion. Up front we had Cottee and Rideout.today we have Niasse and DCL.
The midfielders from both eras are poor but again I'd say the 94 vintage was better with Limpar and Stuart miles better than anything we currently have.
So yeah unless something changes quickly this team could be in big trouble

I didn't see any grafters in 94/95 either. The crowd won us that Wimbledon game.

That side was soft as s#*"#

Yeah some of the players of the past get the benefit of revisionism. Some of those teams that flirted with relegation were absolutely awful and had terrible attitudes. Just turned up when they had to and would dine off a decent win for weeks on end.

Yeah some of the players of the past get the benefit of revisionism. Some of those teams that flirted with relegation were absolutely awful and had terrible attitudes. Just turned up when they had to and would dine off a decent win for weeks on end.

I see parallels with now. This team needs organisation that a good coach would bring. Royle did that in 94.

I’m a bit too young to remember it, but it appears to just be incompetencies if Mike Walker which appeared to make the team lazy as. Maybe there’s more to it.

But this team, it’s got some rottten mystery innit, which we can’t shake.

Martinez, Koeman and now Unsworth. Something is going on behind the scenes which makes me believe there’s some players who are choosing to not follow orders.

So the similarities are there in the sense that, if you aren’t playing well, you aren’t going to stay up.

I’m a bit too young to remember it, but it appears to just be incompetencies if Mike Walker which appeared to make the team lazy as. Maybe there’s more to it.

But this team, it’s got some rottten mystery innit, which we can’t shake.

Martinez, Koeman and now Unsworth. Something is going on behind the scenes which makes me believe there’s some players who are choosing to not follow orders.

So the similarities are there in the sense that, if you aren’t playing well, you aren’t going to stay up.

We're in that 'sweet' spot of paying big wages and winning nothing. They don't care same as every player when things aren't going for them. We need a permanent manager to get them worried they need to hire removals/learn a new language/take their kids out of school.

The whole club is like a comfy old boys facility from boardroom to FF.

Some very interesting comments in this thread but what strikes me is that so many think that the current squad is up there indeed some suggest that the squad are ,despite the clear evidence, a top 6 or 7 squad.

Goal keeper aside none of the defence show anything other than that of a group of poorly coached either passed it or overarated defenders who dont function as a unit.
The midfield is made up of players who cost a fortune and played well in poor teams elsewhere or have been imported from other countries and either are struggling to adjust or possibly aren’t up to it
Up front , well the forwards may well score the odd goal but none are fit to lace RL boots and bringing back Rooney seems to be a reckless and expensive folly
To a degree the younger players have done ok but if the pressure continues to build it would be madness to expect too much from them
The current squad is lacking in quality despite the cost, it’s lacking in crucial areas lacking in balance lacking in motivation lacking in direction the only thing it doesn’t lack is the misguided belief of some that the squad is better than it is

Some very interesting comments in this thread but what strikes me is that so many think that the current squad is up there indeed some suggest that the squad are ,despite the clear evidence, a top 6 or 7 squad.

Goal keeper aside none of the defence show anything other than that of a group of poorly coached either passed it or overarated defenders who dont function as a unit.
The midfield is made up of players who cost a fortune and played well in poor teams elsewhere or have been imported from other countries and either are struggling to adjust or possibly aren’t up to it
Up front , well the forwards may well score the odd goal but none are fit to lace RL boots and bringing back Rooney seems to be a reckless and expensive follow
To a degree the younger players have done ok but if the pressure continues to build it would be madness to expect too much from them
The current squad is lacking in quality despite the cost, it’s lacking in crucial areas lacking in balance lacking in motivation lacking in direction the only thing it doesn’t lack is the misguided belief of some that the squad is better than it is

I mean it's mostly the same team who finished 7th last year.

I think we are in trouble.This club is a rudderless and leaderless shambles.We sacked Koeman with no replacement lined up.The team has just been rubbish.Performances and results have been totally unacceptable.Our european campaign has been a farce and an embarrassment.Unsy is doing his best, but he is way out of his depth.There's just so many things wrong with Everton, i don't know where to start.Hopefully things will pick up and results will improve.But i just feel very low about Everton at the current moment in time.It's like were just watching this club die a slow and horrible death, right in front of our very eyes.

We need a new manager, new defence, new midfield, new attack, new board, new stadium and possibly new fans as if this situation carries on we're just going to stay in the Ale House and World Football.

It's getting old Everton ffs.

We're in pretty awful shape tbh.

It might just need a certain missing ingredient to improve things drastically but I've no idea what it is and get the distinct impression that nobody does.

We're in the hands of the gods. I hope they're in a charitable mood.

In 2017 we arguably have better quality individual players in certain areas of the pitch, but a bloated squad in some areas (namely midfield), and severely undermanned in others. Mentally the current squad is weak as piss.

1995 we at least had fighters, and stronger leaders, on and off the pitch.

In short, we're in slightly worse shape today, which is really saying something.

We're probably better at football than we were in 94-95 and in 97-00, but the rest of the league is much better than it was back then. The standard was much lower on the whole. We'd batter old Everton, but get battered by modern day Swansea, that's the problem. We're going down unless we make the right signings.

I think worse off,the league is a lot stronger now and teams can at the bottom can spend their way out of trouble with how rich the PL is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.