Anyone else excited for the upcoming season?

Are you confident of a good season for 19/20?

• Yes

Votes: 154 62.3%
  • No

Votes: 58 23.5%
  • Fence flavoured cheese on toast.

Votes: 35 14.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion there’s been an undeserved air of negativity surrounding the good town of Everton over the last season and building into the upcoming campaign.

It may be an unpopular opinion but I believe that we could be on the cusp of a very exciting time this season and in the coming years. A few reasons for this below that are obviously purely subjective and open to the rigorous challenge of this community of scrutiny.

1. Silva: There’s some very positive underlying stats behind Silva’s play last season that didn’t necessarily correlate into the results and were not always picked up on. Not least in the defensive aspect where we rank 4th for clean sheets nestled in between Chelsea and Spurs. In open play goals conceded as well we are placed in the top 6 of the league. On goals conceded we were joint 5th best in the league, a tally not helped by the pummelling from Spurs in a single game, but probably better than spreading those 6 goals over numerous games. So for a team with a new manager, a team with half a new defence, a set of players getting used to a new way of playing, an obvious set piece issue that was somewhat solved in the second half of the season, and a group of players who didn’t get a preseason (Mina, Zouma) we managed to put out a team with a top 6 defence with arguably a large scope for improvement next season (settled players, full pre season, familiarity with set piece tactics etc.)

In the attacking sense the numbers are positive too. The stats show we’re solidly in the top 8 and that’s without a recognised striker, multiple rotations of the front line, and that period of form where we were frankly useless. The period pre and post both derbies would have us in the top 6 for attacking stats also (that’s not to ignore the poor form in the middle, just to show instead what the team is capable of over extended periods)

Silva has also shown he has the tactical nouse to play the top 6 home and away (apart from City no one played as well as us home and away against Liverpool)

He’s received a lot of criticism at times last season, but I think the turnaround job Silva has done from the depths of the 17/18 season has been nothing short of remarkable.

2. Recruitment: We are starting to recruit far better than before. There can be no denying that Digne Richarlison Bernard Gomes and Zouma are among our best players now. With Mina looking good in spells too we are looking at a 100% hit rate in that last window with poor performers such as Klaassen Bolasie Williams Mirallas Sandro all being moved out. If this pattern continues to occur we will be looking at the same sort of squad improvement seen at Spurs and Liverpool when good managers started to recruit well. Moshiri’s money behind a good recruitment team will have us in a far better situation in the near future.

3. Balance of power in the top 6: City and Liverpool are off in the stratosphere at the moment but the same cannot be said of the rest. Spurs are looking at the break up of their team, whether this window or next it looks like Pochettino Eriksen Alderweireld at a minimum will be off. Who is to say they wouldn’t revert to the Europa league level they historically were before Pochettino and Kane arrived. Chelsea could be looking at a disrupted off season needing a new manager and a transfer ban after losing Hazard and have season long injuries to Hudson Odoi and Loftus Cheek. Arsenal have a good manager in my opinion but need serious rebuilding in defence and have lost their best midfielder. United look a complete and utter shambles and Solskjaer could be out the door at any point in the season.

A few seasons ago with Guardiola Conte Mourinho Klopp Wenger and Pochettino in place the top 6 looked absolutely unbreakable, but there’s a few in flux at the moment and for once we have a stable manager coming into the season with a full preseason and arguably better working conditions than some of his counterparts at United Arsenal and Chelsea.

I know this will in all likelihood be responded to with TL DR, but for the first time since probably 2008/9 I am actually excited about the season ahead in terms of what the team could achieve. Of course this could all be spiked by a poor window or injury crisis, but this is the first time in a long time I believe we have a good manager with good players, making good transfer decisions, with financial backing behind him, and no major exits on the horizon and the top 6 potentially not as strong as they have been.

We’ve had false dawns before with Martinez and Koeman but both of them were tempered with the nagging feeling of it not being sustainable (Martinez’s style of play starting to regress even towards the end of the first season, Koeman having no determinable style apart from relying on Lukaku. Both with poor recruitment). Silva’s tenure has the feel that we’ve arguably underperformed and have huge scope for improvement, there’s no star player carrying us, there’s no new manager bounce on the back of an old managers work like Solskjaer or Martinez had. He’s turned around a horrendous situation from last season and arguably led us out of a bad dip mid season too.

I’m honestly confident a good season is ahead for all of us and with Moshiri Brands and Silva in place we’re far better placed for improvement than at any point in our premier league history.

Up the toffees. Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Great piece, I will not allow myself to get too excited, just yet, for the following reasons :-

1. Lets see what business we have done up to the start of the season. Whats clear is we need to ship a lot out and we need a bit of quality to come in, I think any new signings will need time to settle and adapt to the PL, it does seem like we are looking at the market abroad.

2. For Marco Silva this is a massive season, started well and ended very well but we could see him moved on if we keep having these alarming dips in form where we constantly lose games we should be winning at home and stats that follow him from club to club continue. Like you say some of the more positive stats do get over looked.

Given that, if recruitment is good and MS can lead the team as we were at the end of season then we can break the top 6 or even top 4 on merit and not by those teams already there under performing. Whats clear is the team need every man (and woman) behind them at Goodison not just when we are winning but drawing and losing as well, we have seen the benefits first hand this season.

What is clear is that it does appear we are going in the right direction, finally! Lets be POSITIVE......... #theblues

Sorry if I’ve misread this, but are you saying that next season in the premier league; Man U & Liverpool won’t have VAR available at their home games? That’s one of the dodgiest things I’ve ever heard if so.

Yes mate, they will. The only difference is they don’t have big screens to show the crowd.

I’m always excited for the upcoming season. One thing I don’t get though is obsession with the mythical “top 6”.
In reality, unless there is a major shock in both cups, 5th gets you the exact same reward as 7th. Top 4 I can understand as that gets champions league instead of Europa, but you could break into the top 6 and still miss out on European football, or finish 7th and get it

Depends on who and how many we sign, we need 3 players, Gomez a CB and a striker along with replacing any first team players we lose, if we go out again and sign 5-6 New players then we can expect another season of disruption while the team gels and develops chemistry, looking at the last month or so of last season it appears things have started to come together, we now need a summer of little disruption to kick on from the end of last season..

I’m always excited for the upcoming season. One thing I don’t get though is obsession with the mythical “top 6”.
In reality, unless there is a major shock in both cups, 5th gets you the exact same reward as 7th. Top 4 I can understand as that gets champions league instead of Europa, but you could break into the top 6 and still miss out on European football, or finish 7th and get it

I think its more to do with the fact that if we finish 6th or higher it means we’ve out performed a big team. Finishing 7th is probably par for the course for us as we are 7th in pretty much most of the metrics. So even though the outcome is the same I can see why one would be viewed as progress.

What annoyed me is that when we were finishing in the top 6 under Moyes and Martinez we were called best of the rest because it was about the top 4, yet as soon as a media approved top 6 started to get those positions we were again labelled best of the rest in 7th.

Yep, I'm optimistic for the first season in a while, though that's liable to change depending on our transfer window. We have some really good players and a few additions in some key areas could really push us on. I'm still very much on the fence about the manager, but he's earned some goodwill and, at the very least, looks to play very positive football that doesn't put me in a coma. The only thing I am down about is the prospect of watching Pickford in goals for another season. I don't think he's good enough

Quite optimistic yes, after the finish to our season last term. Expecting some shrewd business by Brands and Silva this summer. Could see us challenging the top 6. Well place 3-6 more specific, but as long as we finish a lot closer to them, I'll be satisfied with the progression.

I think its more to do with the fact that if we finish 6th or higher it means we’ve out performed a big team. Finishing 7th is probably par for the course for us as we are 7th in pretty much most of the metrics. So even though the outcome is the same I can see why one would be viewed as progress.

What annoyed me is that when we were finishing in the top 6 under Moyes and Martinez we were called best of the rest because it was about the top 4, yet as soon as a media approved top 6 started to get those positions we were again labelled best of the rest in 7th.

Agree, sick of the media luvvy bias.... and with the potential investment at Newcastle, a ‘big seven’ is on the horizon, so best of the rest will be us in 8th!!

Yep, I'm optimistic for the first season in a while, though that's liable to change depending on our transfer window. We have some really good players and a few additions in some key areas could really push us on. I'm still very much on the fence about the manager, but he's earned some goidwill and, at the very least, looks to play very positive football that doesn't put me in a coma. The only thing I am down about is the prospect of watching Pickford in goals for another season. I don't think he's good enough
Joint 3rd in the league for clean sheets last season, he's plenty good enough I'm confident in him with a settled defence in front..

Nice OP. However what happens off the pitch is much more important for this club than what is happening on it. Goodison is a relic and it becomes painfully obvious how we are falling behind with each season. We desperately need that new stadium built.

Yes, but I remember feeling the same way after Martinez and Koeman's first seasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.