Anti-Echo poll: What can be done to combat the constant snide approach the Echo takes towards EFC?

How does Everton deal with the (frankly disgraceful) coverage of the Liverpool Echo?

• Ignore the Echo, lar. It's solely for RS and other such beauts

Votes: 187 45.9%
  • Get some boss banners highlighting to the world how despised the rag is by the first club of Mersey

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Start a total boycott of it and encourage the club to do the same.

Votes: 108 26.5%
  • Demand an open fan forum with the Editor and journalists. What is their problem with Everton?

Votes: 48 11.8%
  • Peas or custard?

Votes: 42 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't just about us as a club, they rig perceptions of the city and the people to fit specific narratives.
It's a rag on par with the s*n but it plays into the hands of those who buy into that narrative.
Haven't read/bought it for years because it's offensive.

Regarding football, the echo seems to follow the same rough brief that other, larger beasts of the media also follow, incessantly, sickeningly, often irrationally, hyping up LFC, whilst simultaneously patronising Everton. Given this obvious bias I don't read or take seriously the echo myself, but I do worry about the effect that this bias has on other people that don't spot it and also how it impacts the perception of us in the wider footballing sphere of opinion.

Another thing that really grinds my gears about the echo is the coverage of the region in general. As a city I think it punches above its weight in terms of cultural significance (the Tate in the Albert Dock, three graces, museums etc), it has a great scene of restaurants and bars that cater to all kinds of different folk and subcultures; from the student lameo to your sarcy nan, and in general in my opinion it is an excellent city to work in / live in / visit / be around. Yet would you think this from looking at the echo?

No, you get stuff like this:

View attachment 64696View attachment 64698

I accept that some people will want to read this type of thing, but I can't help but feel this type of reporting does no good for the image the city in the eyes of the national public - most of the south inexplicably and wrongly think Liverpool is a sh*thole. I think this ties in with the Everton bias: though the individual 'stories' and comments are small, when they are repeated and reinforced time and time again they can become ingrained in the wider public's perception.

With it's long standing history and national reputation, the echo has the perfect platform to demonstrate and support the positive side of both EFC and the city in general, and it simply doesn't do enough.

I guess the only way to fight this is to highlight these issues online as often as possible until it starts to affect the perception of the publication and they are forced to change.

Never understood this. I'm from North Wales and I'd say Liverpool, Newcastle and Glasgow are my favourite cities in the UK. All perceived as dumps by southerners, but I think they're all class.

Start by Unfollowing it on your Bakebook. This will cut down on the click bait you produce for them.

They met with fans a few years ago to discuss this very issue and then totally edited the audio before it was released. Utter cop out.

They're very nearly dead anyway, all the main journos are going elsewhere for other gigs and no one physically buys it anymore, can't remember the last time I saw a copy of it in someone's house or in a workplace.

They met with fans a few years ago to discuss this very issue and then totally edited the audio before it was released. Utter cop out.

They're very nearly dead anyway, all the main journos are going elsewhere for other gigs and no one physically buys it anymore, can't remember the last time I saw a copy of it in someone's house or in a workplace.
I think their football journalists all went to the Telegraph. The Telegraph Sport is like a Liverpool FC advertising brochure.

Status
Not open for further replies.