Anti-Echo poll: What can be done to combat the constant snide approach the Echo takes towards EFC?

How does Everton deal with the (frankly disgraceful) coverage of the Liverpool Echo?

• Ignore the Echo, lar. It's solely for RS and other such beauts

Votes: 187 45.9%
  • Get some boss banners highlighting to the world how despised the rag is by the first club of Mersey

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Start a total boycott of it and encourage the club to do the same.

Votes: 108 26.5%
  • Demand an open fan forum with the Editor and journalists. What is their problem with Everton?

Votes: 48 11.8%
  • Peas or custard?

Votes: 42 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the force involved? I dont see it.

A simple poll of members to agree/disagree to boycott the Echo is not force or coercion. I believe it's called 'democracy'.

I am pointing out that a boycott is a personal choice. A ban on posting links is different to a boycott.

Where is the force involved? I dont see it.

A simple poll of members to agree/disagree to boycott the Echo is not force or coercion. I believe it's called 'democracy'.

The club should have kicked it to the kerb years ago. It’s the single biggest propaganda outfit pumping out negative news against us on a daily basis yet the club cosies up to it.

I am pointing out that a boycott is a personal choice. A ban on posting links is different to a boycott.
The origin of the word boycott came from the ostracisation of a landlord by a Land League. Taking a vote on here concerning banning links to the Echo - a poll organised through a forum committing GOT to a no platform policy on the Echo is entirely consistent with that.

The club should have kicked it to the kerb years ago. It’s the single biggest propaganda outfit pumping out negative news against us on a daily basis yet the club cosies up to it.
The Echo have been useful to the owners of the club ever since we went into decline - they've been hand in glove with the various owners to sit on discontent at a major football institution and neutralise it.

I'd say the reporting on both us and the sh!te is pretty much the same, no one club is given a more positive light than the other, with the echo siding with the board/club on numerous issues over the years that the fan base where obviously agaisnt (Kirkby being the main example)

Its hard to see theiugh blue tinted eyes sometimes but theres rrally not that much preferential treatment given either way, if it bothers people just stop reading it simple as, no need to let it affect your day haha

That just ain't so...

Leave them and SSN to it. Will enjoy the fume when we start kicking on this year and get the stadium kicked off.

Spend your energy on the blues

...something aided by a ban on links through the site to the Echo.

I think we'd benefit from something similar that allowed us to filter out noise of click bait nonsense. I liked this:

... But a version that allowed the forum to pull in Everton news from fan rated/ranked credible sources.

I think we'd benefit from something similar that allowed us to filter out noise of click bait nonsense. I liked this:

... But a version that allowed the forum to pull in Everton news from fan rated/ranked credible sources.

So any link to any newspaper on any Everton story gets rated from 'reliable' to 'unreliable'? The sort of system that cafes and restaurants are disciplined with over hygeine? People then make the choice to swerve/click?

So any link to any newspaper on any Everton story gets rated from 'reliable' to 'unreliable'? The sort of system that cafes and restaurants are disciplined with over hygeine? People then make the choice to swerve/click?

I think so.

Fan voted, top x make it as aggregated/approved sources. Bottom x in effect blacklisted.

GOT will no doubt be blacklisted first...

Regarding football, the echo seems to follow the same rough brief that other, larger beasts of the media also follow, incessantly, sickeningly, often irrationally, hyping up LFC, whilst simultaneously patronising Everton. Given this obvious bias I don't read or take seriously the echo myself, but I do worry about the effect that this bias has on other people that don't spot it and also how it impacts the perception of us in the wider footballing sphere of opinion.

Another thing that really grinds my gears about the echo is the coverage of the region in general. As a city I think it punches above its weight in terms of cultural significance (the Tate in the Albert Dock, three graces, museums etc), it has a great scene of restaurants and bars that cater to all kinds of different folk and subcultures; from the student lameo to your sarcy nan, and in general in my opinion it is an excellent city to work in / live in / visit / be around. Yet would you think this from looking at the echo?

No, you get stuff like this:

I accept that some people will want to read this type of thing, but I can't help but feel this type of reporting does no good for the image the city in the eyes of the national public - most of the south inexplicably and wrongly think Liverpool is a sh*thole. I think this ties in with the Everton bias: though the individual 'stories' and comments are small, when they are repeated and reinforced time and time again they can become ingrained in the wider public's perception.

With it's long standing history and national reputation, the echo has the perfect platform to demonstrate and support the positive side of both EFC and the city in general, and it simply doesn't do enough.

I guess the only way to fight this is to highlight these issues online as often as possible until it starts to affect the perception of the publication and they are forced to change.

I think so.

Fan voted, top x make it as aggregated/approved sources. Bottom x in effect blacklisted.

GOT will no doubt be blacklisted first...
Ha Ha.

Sounds more appropriate than what I was suggesting (a blanket ban). Already I could see a few objections to 'censorship'. What you've suggested gets round that.

How I search for Everton news on Google:

"Everton -echo"

Usually does the trick to ensure I don't get news stories from it.. obviously if we sign a player called echo I won't know about it .

I'm with a boycot and and blockers, though they thrive on clicks, and I'm sure their bed wetting masses in their ma's homes all over the world™ outnumbers us significantly.

Please close this thread.
With the greatest respect: May I ask why?

I feel it's an important issue that needs to be addressed.....

The Echo has frankly been taking the piss with EFC for decades.

Surely people feel strongly about that?

The only "local" newspaper clearly has an agenda with EFC in general....that's pretty disgusting when you see how the handle the RS with kid gloves and don't dare to upset them. They were up in arms over the Hicks/Gillette ownership saqa, and unquestionably backed the RS to the hilt.

Yet after suffering years of stagnation for EFC - not a peep....

Status
Not open for further replies.