2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hilarious, isn't it? "We can't afford to lose him". Ha ha. We can't afford to keep him! If there is a bid in excess of 40m - and if we can drive it closer to 50m - then it's a no-brainer to cash in and reinvest. We are, basically, wondering whether or not we should accept a fee in the same ballpark as was received for Richarlison for a player with a negligible end product. It's incredible that people think we have a choice here.

The club would be very brave to reject such business because if we continue our poor run of form and there are not some serious attacking incomings between now and the close of the window, the manager, director of football, and the board will all be in the crosshairs of an irate fanbase.

If Lampard wants to keep Gordon, that's his call. But he will be judged on that. If results continue to fall off a cliff, well, the Super Frank stuff won't be long for this world.
The question Thelwell and Lampard really need to be asking themselves is:

If you took our current attack, minus Gordon, and had 50m to improve it, would they improve it by spending all 50m on Anthony Gordon?

That's fine then, it would mean we are still in for help with P&L as it goes into the accounts this year and this year can count in the 3-year accounting period.

Basically, it'd be huge.

But we don't NEED to do it. It's not vital. However, if Chelsea did offer £50m then IMO that's much more than he's worth right now and ultimately I think is peak he'll ever be worth.

He's a talent, but I don't think he's going to be an £80m player.

Wed break even to my mind mate, but that not signing replacements that we now and would clearly need.

To have a player that holds no cost, is gold dust, players like Coleman, Davies and Gordon enable so much in terms of value at the club - its why Kenny was offered a new deal to.

I disagree to be honest mate, i think Anthony is only going to appreciate - i mean the interest in him in the market seems hot, teams want to invest in him on the basis that hes going to appreciate - we need to see what other clubs do and mind our asset.

It's hilarious, isn't it? "We can't afford to lose him". Ha ha. We can't afford to keep him! If there is a bid in excess of 40m - and if we can drive it closer to 50m - then it's a no-brainer to cash in and reinvest. We are, basically, wondering whether or not we should accept a fee in the same ballpark as was received for Richarlison for a player with a negligible end product. It's incredible that people think we have a choice here.

The club would be very brave to reject such business because if we continue our poor run of form and there are not some serious attacking incomings between now and the close of the window, the manager, director of football, and the board will all be in the crosshairs of an irate fanbase.

If Lampard wants to keep Gordon, that's his call. But he will be judged on that. If results continue to fall off a cliff, well, the Super Frank stuff won't be long for this world.
thing is I like Gordon and wouldn't blame the club for keeping him if Chelsea don't meet whatever they're valuation is...

But if they do, and that value is £50m, then yeah, I think we'd be mad to turn it down for the quality of player he is right now and, tbh, what I think he'll go on to be.

I don't doubt he'll go on to play for England and have a good career. I'm not convinced he'll ever be worth upwards of £50m though...

If we sell him, I think we have serious scope to go out and get real quality in because it means we don't have to only pay £5-10m in initial downpayments.

If we don't then sound too, but I know it means we'll have to carry on what we've been doing this window and trying to forge deals based on initial small payments, which has limited us so far.

Tricky one this. Gordon is our future. But our immediate future is staying in the PL. Selling Gordon to Chelsea and signing Broja and getting Gallagher in on loan with an option to buy could we’ll give us a better chance of staying up then keeping Gordon.

I dont think we are in danger of relegation this season regardless mate.

I just think selling Gordon and signing 3-4 good players gives us a sniff at a top half finish with room to progress.

Keeping 3 goals a season Gordon means likely midtable obscurity alongside your Southamptons of the world.

I honestly dont see how anyone can watch him play and not see the absolute quality and potential mate - i mean that in a very respectful way as we all have different opinions, i honestly cant get my head around it. I read some of the comments here and think im watching different football matches, i go back and look again to see if i have the wrong of it and i honestly cant see anything else but quality and massive potential. If we signed him we would be made up.

You know i see it in young Patterson to - though i know he has a way to go - you can see the quality that going to develop to make him a top top player.
To assume that just because both these players have a bit of skill about them that they will be a top player is a little bit short sighted. Around a decade ago or just under we had 3 of the top talents in Europe. Lukaku, barkley and deloufeu. All 3 of which were getting very good numbers, much better than Gordon did last season. But only 1 of these players actually developed and that is lukaku and he still failed at man utd and chelsea since. Deulofeu has been on a steady decline at clubs and last time I checked warms the bench at udinese and barkley has never got off the bench at Chelsea and has played a handful of games in the last season.

Now with Gordon he's scored about 3 or 4 goals in the prem and only 1 of which wasn't a deflection. He shows glimpses of good pace and dribbling skills but I would not say he looks as effectively explosive as deulofeu did. I would be interested to know what in your opinion makes you think Gordon will definitely be a top player. As I see it he has more of a chance of stagnating like most young talents do instead of progressing into a world beater.

Wed break even to my mind mate, but that not signing replacements that we now and would clearly need.

To have a player that holds no cost, is gold dust, players like Coleman, Davies and Gordon enable so much in terms of value at the club - its why Kenny was offered a new deal to.

I disagree to be honest mate, i think Anthony is only going to appreciate - i mean the interest in him in the market seems hot, teams want to invest in him on the basis that hes going to appreciate - we need to see what other clubs do and mind our asset.
But it doesn't really work like that mate. You can have £105m losses over 3 years. We've appeased the PL by getting our house in order and selling Richarlison. If we sold Gordon now, with the Kean money guaranteed too as it is, then we're honestly in a great position.

And I think Gordon right now is a lot easier to replace than Richarlison or Calvert-Lewin.

Status
Not open for further replies.