2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked like Kante tweaked something vs Spurs so I can't see Gallagher joining.

Lampard used Emerson a lot as a left wing back over Alonso. He's far better than Mr Bean. Pulisic had his breakout season under Lampard. I could see Emerson joining as a perm and Pulisic on loan (game time in a world cup year under a manager he played his best football) plus say £45 million?

You think we stay up if AG was injured last season? Agree with you also with Pickford and Richarlison but it's the sum of the parts and some parts are more vital than others. AG was the Playrs Player of the Season. But he's rubbish!!!!!!!
I didn’t say he’s rubbish, keep your pampers dry.

I’m just saying his contribution wasn’t as great as earlier posted, where he was ordained as our saviour.

Isnt gordon meant to be in talks for a new contract now. Some of the stick this lad gets is unreal. You would think every top team in every top league has a 20 year old dictating and winning games on their own. He is very young and needs time and patience good coaching and support from the fanbase. Its not gordons fault the manager has stuck him up top and expected him to play like a 6ft2 centre forward. His game isnt playing with his back to goal and flicking on aimless goalkicks. He was still our most dangerous attacker at villa whether you like it or not. Keep and invest in more young players for me anyway.
What is his game and what does he actually create/add to our attacking play though? We need players right now that can score goals and/or assist more than 4/3 respectively in two years of football. Gordon was never expected to dictate games, just actually contribute in an actual attacking sense. Showing a bit of end product a little bit more often, besides just running would be enough for everyone to stay on his side.

Last edited:
It would be nice to get big money for him, however who in their right mind would trust the self appraising Everton board to use the money competently and improve the squad. They would bring in a couple of rejects and then blame Frank when it inevitably doesn't work.

I feel like we should look at it two ways. Firstly, if he wasn’t an academy lad would you be bothered? Secondly if we were after a play like him that had 4 goals and 3 assists last season for £50m how would you feel?

These are the telling signs to me and quite frankly I don’t think there’s a single person that can honestly say anything other than let him go for any justifiable reason.

Leicester have been consistently better than us for about 5 years, Brighton are currently much better than us too. Both clubs philosophies basically depend on selling their best players and young talents for big money and reinvesting, Brighton have made £85m+ this summer doing it, Leicester will probably get nearly £200m by the end of the summer with it. This is how you run a successful club. Even if we weren’t in loads of money trouble it’d be insane to look at a deal like this and say it’s better off to keep him.

I just really don’t understand what anyone sees in him to warrant rejecting the deal.
1000% all true, but it's trumped by "local lad works hard". ?

I would say it does yes. We barely stayed up last year and look likely to see a marginal improvement at best unless there are significant incomings. We can’t afford to turn down £40m+ for a player who then doesn’t produce the goods, it could literally be the difference between staying up and going down.

Gordon is good. I like him, he has potential. The idea we’ve ‘thrown him in at the deep end’ is utterly bonkers. He had 2 seasons on the fringes and a loan before becoming a proper regular at 21. If anything he was a late bloomer. Then people talk about it like we threw a 16 year old kid in and said right we’re pinning everything on you now. It’s just a bizarre misrepresentation of what’s actually happened.
If they come back in with a new bid I would expect Everton seriously do consider it.

If you look at his loan, it wasn't great at all. Some of that is on him, some on the club in question and Everton picking the wrong club too, but it wasn't all on him and it didn't develop him in any way.

We relied on him far too much last season given his current quality. Just like we now rely on Iwobi to do everything in our midfield. I applaud Iwobi's form over the last 6 months but he's still Iwobi, he still hits passes straight at opposition players like he's trying to make them invisible.

All I'm saying is if the club decide to turn down another bid - I don't think they will if it hits the £50m valuation btw - then it won't change my opinion on Gordon. I already think he needs to deliver more, but I think the real issue is that the club are so reliant on a 21-year-old to be the main creator in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.