2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate I'm 6 pints deep and have no voice from shouting at Andre Mariner for 90 minutes.

I have neither the will nor the means to name you them chances.

Just got to trust the stats, they ain't gonna be biased... unlike Mariner...
I've named two to him.

They weren't dazzling runs or amazing crosses, but they count, and if those shots go in - which they easily could have, Davies' especially - they'd count as assists.

Got nothing to do with flash score, like.

I know one, rightly or wrongly, will count as the pass he played to Iwobi for the shot late on. It'll count as a 'key pass' because it led to a shot, but you know, it'd be an assist if that shot goes in.

Another is the one that he played to Davies when Davies hit it wide early on, from like 20 yards out or whatever.

I can't recall the other one off the top of my head.

Yeah they are just not chances.

He needs to do more than create Bernard chances
Of course he does.

But what amazing chances did Iwobi create? He tops it with four. What ones did Gray create, other than the one put in for Rondon - which Rondon should have got like, it was a great run and cross.

But those six shots (game high), five on target (game high) and three key passes are not 'nothing happened'.

It is nothing. One of the “shots on target” was an absolute sitter with the keeper in no man’s land and the rest of them were comfortably gathered without barely a fuss.

Name me the 3 chances he created.
Yeah this is the problem. Shots and chances are good, but when they're all long range and low percentage with the exception of a horrendous defensive error that you haven't actually done anything with it isn't good.

Yeah they are just not chances.
Key passes, then, but they'd both have counted as assists.

The best chances, as in for quality of delievery, IMO, all game were the crosses Gray put in for Rondon in the 2nd half and the one from the FK (which Gordon won, ironically) for Davies early on.

Of course he does.

But what amazing chances did Iwobi create? He tops it with four. What ones did Gray create, other than the one put in for Rondon - which Rondon should have got like, it was a great run and cross.

But those six shots (game high), five on target (game high) and three key passes are not 'nothing happened'.

Stats are crap, stop looking at them.

Of course he does.

We didn't create any good chances I'm not sure I said we did?

It is very easy to cut inside, lay it off and have that guy shoot. That is quite literally how Bernard led us in chances created. And that was what Gordon did today.

Shooting from distance all the time is evidence your attack isn't good enough imo.

Yes he did have some bad spells in the game, particularly 2nd half of first half but he was also really good for spells!
It's currently how he is.

Once again, he is young.
Consistency come's with time.

He's a very dangerous young attacking player, and he's ours.

I'm not sure that he's going to improve. He's 21 and has most likely been playing football at an advanced level since he was 10 (youth team, under 18, reserves, etc). If he hasn't learnt how to take a free kick, cross a ball, shoot or score in the last 11 odd years then he's unlikely to improve significantly in the next 2-3. How many players that are average-good at 21 become good - great by 24/25? It's a myth, it doesn't happen. We should cash in while we can (as we should have done with DCL).

He needs to calm down. He’s trying to do it all. He’s our best player in transition right now.

I’d take $45M for him if I knew we’d spend it well, but “Everton”

Yeah this is the problem. Shots and chances are good, but when they're all long range and low percentage with the exception of a horrendous defensive error that you haven't actually done anything with it isn't good.
Two of them drew good saves out of Henderson.

A poorer goalkeeper doesn't save that second one late on when it was going to the bottom corner or, does what Pickford does and spills it.

I don't even think Gordon played great, I just don't know what standard you're all suddenly deciding to set. Things happened, objectively. Not enough things, and they weren't finished off. That's Everton's problem, and it's not just down to Gordon.

Mate if you want to sit there with your tinfoil hat on thinking stuff like xG is a conspiracy be my guest.

But stats are objective facts.

They aren't opinions but they are used to support them.

Watching the game is tinfoil hat behaviour?

Tell me a chance he created if it’s pure objective facts that he created 3. I’m not asking for all 3, just 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.