2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're a good egg, Bobster.

Hard to know what to hope for in the player plus cash stakes. Gallagher is obvious but his value would surely eat into the majority of the fee and not leave much to replace Gordon - or Richarlison, for that matter - with. Broja might be a decent striker, might also be poo. Big risk.

In the wider positions, Ziyech likely has his sights set higher, Kenedy is plop and CHO is apparently on a monstrous wedge.

Maybe worth sniffing around some versatile, young reinforcements? Chalobah? Ampadu? Gilmour if the value is sufficiently low as to leave us with a good wedge of walkin' around money?
Pulisic

I don't see much logic in making Chelsea 'sweat' IF we've decided the deal is going to happen. Might as well get it done asap so we can get the money in and get on with moving for our primary targets right away before for the window closes and before we lose even more games playing silly beggars.
And Chelsea have come in very late in the window with exactly the same thought you have. Stuff them, we've no need to panic. I'd be happy to keep Gorden and see if we can recall Simms mate.

Just hypothetically what if the first offer was 75m?

I value Gordon at 20m to 25m. We're getting offered 42m. I personally don't need to negotiate on that. It isn't capitulation it's being sensible. Someone wants to overpay for a replaceable piece. Take the money, buy the replacement, use the leftovers to get even better. Negotiating is risking an obvious win for very little tangible benefit.
Everybody knocks back the first offer. Knocking back an offer and adding 10% more is good business.

I'd honestly rather we didn't. I'd much prefer we were a team who set a reasonable price and sold players at that price.

Maybe one day we'll have a talented enough squad to compete for trophies and then we can take harder stances.

I would doubt other clubs accept our opening offers when we bid for players, so I wouldn't want us to do it.

His value to us in mid August, with next to no other quality in the front areas, is pretty huge. If Chelsea want him then pay up.

We should only sell if we get an offer we cannot turn down. £40m is not that sort of an offer in 2022.

Thanks Dave, but I can speculate in exactly the same way you can. Establishing actual detail was my intention.

£30m + Gilmour would be a no from me. £30 + Broja or Gallagher and we might go for it (I'm not sure I'd take that though).
It wasn't speculation it was deduction.

If Everton are offered £42M and wont accept that, but may be open to cash + a player, then that player in question cant be either Gallagher or Broja...who would both fetch a very hefty fee for Chelsea. Ergo: it has to be lower cash offer + Gilmour.

How can you even begin to believe it'd be cash plus Gallagher/Broja????!!!!

That's just 'kin daft.

Wouldn't say it's unusual for footballers to be having days out in London - business class train, quite a pleasant experience. If he's back in the station at 2PM though that suggests it was indeed for business...

I would doubt other clubs accept our opening offers when we bid for players, so I wouldn't want us to do it.

His value to us in mid August, with next to no other quality in the front areas, is pretty huge. If Chelsea want him then pay up.

We should only sell if we get an offer we cannot turn down. £40m is not that sort of an offer in 2022.
40m is pretty huge for a player who you're buying almost entirely on potential.

The current version of Gordon is a relegation standard player.

Status
Not open for further replies.