Anichebe's Interview on the OS After the win today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hearing "his age" for four years now at least. He will be twenty four years old this month. 24! Young-ish sure but he's been around quite some time. 101 appearances for Everton and 11 for Nigeria. Injuries? Sure I'll grant you that but that works both ways (being too prone to injuries to rely on). The celebration was disturbing. I wasn't so much offended by it as just sad that he either doesn't enjoy football or doesn't enjoy Everton. He's still on 1 goal every 9.1 games but he's offended because he's not starting over the guy with a career rate of 1 goal in every 1.9 games?

Cheer up Vic -- it's still pretty good to be a super-sub in the Premier League making piles of cash. Reminds me of an old Norm MacDonald joke from his sitcom where he played a retired hockey player who was "the worst player in the league" and he remarked, "that still makes me an amazing hockey player. I'm better than 99.99% of people in the world at hockey -- I'm only "bad" when compared with other professional hockey players."

Worse things in the world than being a super-sub. (Frankly there are a lot of people in the world, of which I am one, who don't even rate him that highly as a sub despite banging in a couple of goals lately.)

Fair enough, where you top of the world at 24? Content with everything? And you really should know better than saying money should be making him happy.

Maybe he just wants to start games? He CAN score, he has proved it. I'm
Not saying I want him upfront every week, but to suggest sitting on the bench making "piles of cash" is a motivator.. Is a backward logic.

Maybe he just wants to start games? He CAN score, he has proved it. I'm
Not saying I want him upfront every week, but to suggest sitting on the bench making "piles of cash" is a motivator.. Is a backward logic.

Moyes has played him a hell of a lot more than his performances deserve, lets be fair. Before this season he'd scored 7 league goals in over 90 games. He's done a lot better this season, fair enough and good on the lad but it's not like he hasn't been given lots and lots of chances.

Fair enough, where you top of the world at 24? Content with everything? And you really should know better than saying money should be making him happy.
I certainly got a lot less excuses made for my behaviour at 24 than I did at 16 or even 20. Regardless, sure I wasn't content with everything at 24 -- I'm not content with everything now. But there is a middle ground between achieving full peaceful enlightenment and not being a raging d-bag. I do not believe he is ever going to be what he thinks he should be. Certainly not at Everton. He is making a choice to be unhappy and his attitude with Moyes at the helm is only likely to reduce his playing time. It makes fans dislike him (which in turn might get him some stick which in turn makes him more unhappy ... there's a great downward spiral for you), it clearly bothered his team-mates to an extent (again, hard to see many positives), and it probably didn't endear him to the manager who has had far more patience with him than a lot of other managers might have under the same circumstances. There are lots of "young" football players who don't get to start a lot -- his is not a particularly special situation. The majority of them (a lot younger than him) seem to deal with it better (at least publicly).

A football player who is on the edge talent-wise can only succeed with a positive attitude. Balotelli can get away with a lot because of his fantastic ability; if (for example) an Osman had behaved like that while younger he would have been shipped out and potentially burned out of football entirely. He kept his head down, worked away and now gets regular starts.
I'm Not saying I want him upfront every week, but to suggest sitting on the bench making "piles of cash" is a motivator.. Is a backward logic.
I don't believe I suggested it was motivational (although there are lots of people who have gained motivation from being overlooked) I merely said there are worse positions to be in. It's possible (not saying it's a guarantee) he's playing in the lower leagues in a few years and looking back on his days as a Prem bench warmer very fondly. He might be better than the one goal every ten games record he had at the start of this season but I doubt he's that much better -- super-sub might be the peak of his ability. Being unhappy with that position is far more likely to lose him that position than gain him a step up the ladder. ... but I may be wrong ... he should prove us wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.