Andy Gray: Martinez Not Helping Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a large and telling contribution towards us winning the title after a 15 year gap which makes him a 'great' even if he has behaved tittishly since then.
He's about as much of an Everton great as Wayne Clarke.

Stop talking rubbish on stuff you know nothing about, he didn't use Everton to get a better deal at all, it was Peter Johnson who went talking the media, Andy Gray was never even offered the job. The only people who don't seem to know about this are those who only know of Gray as a Sky pundit and not as a player.

Johnson spoke to him and let it be known he had spoke to him, Gray didn't do anything apart form keep his mouth shut. Johnson was as bent as they come and had his own agendas trying to move people around to suit himself and to be honest i don't think Gray would of made a good manager at that point anyway

As for the crap you wrote about "one season" i'm guessing your not old enough to of seen it going by how easily you have dismissed his contribution.
That's utterly wrong. Johnson was a lamb to the slaughter in the football world, a total novice well out of his depth. He interviewed all kinds of people for that job that summer: Van Hanagem amongst them. He didn't have a clue. Andy Gray ran rings around him, saw how desperate we were entering the preseason without a boss and his talks with Johnson were designed to place pressure on SKY where he was renegotiating a contract. He plays about with the story that he wasn't 'formally' offered the job...as if the board met him for three hours for nothing like.

A wrong un who has zero credibility commenting on the manager of a club he wouldn't take the reins of.

the thing with lukaku that is massively fustrating is that when he gets in front of goal or gets that brilliant chance then he always seems to score it. Like the goal vs wolfburg, many times naismith had chances this season like it and just ran into trouble, but luakaku gets it and despite not being usain bolt, still goes on and scores.

So why dont we create for him?! Howard gets more passes than he does

That's utterly wrong. Johnson was a lamb to the slaughter in the football world, a total novice well out of his depth. He interviewed all kinds of people for that job that summer: Van Hanagem amongst them. He didn't have a clue. Andy Gray ran rings around him, saw how desperate we were entering the preseason without a boss and his talks with Johnson were designed to place pressure on SKY where he was renegotiating a contract. He plays about with the story that he wasn't 'formally' offered the job...as if the board met him for three hours for nothing like.

A wrong un who has zero credibility commenting on the manager of a club he wouldn't take the reins of.
Now defending Martinez I can just about understand, but defending Johnson is, and I hate to use this with the leading light in RS exposers, Kopite esque rewriting of history

Come on dave you can't mean that.
Why cant I?

Played roughly the same amount of games as Gray, scored more goals than him and picked up a title winner's medal.

Gray was part of a team that got the ball rolling...part of it. Is John Bailey an Everton legend? If he is then I suppose Gray is and by extension so is Clarke and any other contributor to the glory period of the 80s.

Now defending Martinez I can just about understand, but defending Johnson is, and I hate to use this with the leading light in RS exposers, Kopite esque rewriting of history
How am I defending Johnson precisely?

"lamb to the slaughter"??

Johnson was one of the most cynical individuals going.
A divvy in football industry terms. He was a weak man who relied on the likes of Clifford Finch to do all his dirty work for him. The feller was incapable of confrontation.

A divvy in football industry terms. He was a weak man who relied on the likes of Clifford Finch to do all his dirty work for him. The feller was incapable of confrontation.

Right, we fundamentally disagree on this one. Will leave it there.

Why cant I?

Played roughly the same amount of games as Gray, scored more goals than him and picked up a title winner's medal.

Gray was part of a team that got the ball rolling...part of it. Is John Bailey an Everton legend? If he is then I suppose Gray is and by extension so is Clarke and any other contributor to the glory period of the 80s.
Gray was a fantastic signing and part of the double winning team and superb in the dressing room.
He was also a great mentor to sharpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.