2021/22 Andros Townsend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the record I have already acknowledged I got it wrong. This is a post from after the Burnley game. I know I've also done similar posts in the Gray thread. One thing about me is I'm not afraid to admit when I get it wrong.

I'd also add a proviso that we're only 2 months into a very long season. Both Gray and Townsend have been very good so far and long may it continue. But it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that either or both of these players' fortunes may turn, and many posters currently praising them to the hilt could be the same people baying for their blood by the end of the season. You just need to look at the likes of Gomes, Iwobi, Bernard and, dare I say James, if you want evidence of how quickly fortunes can change.
To be fair I can't see either of that pair being as much of a spare part as say Bernard was.
However to be fair to Bernard he never got the chance to shine under Rafael, instead he was playing in a midfield with a choice from Siggurdsen,Gomes,Davies,Iwobi (of old). All backward passing sloths with a manager who'd given up on us and was bereft of ideas.

This new bite your ankles/in your face set up with pace to burn may have suited him although I doubt it. The whole concept of how we play has changed 100% in 6 months and wasters won't be involved, unless injuries bring us to our knees which is very close to where we are now.

Done more this season than iwobi's done all career. Shows what happens when hes allowed to attack. Used too defensively at palace

To be fair I can't see either of that pair being as much of a spare part as say Bernard was.
However to be fair to Bernard he never got the chance to shine under Rafael, instead he was playing in a midfield with a choice from Siggurdsen,Gomes,Davies,Iwobi (of old). All backward passing sloths with a manager who'd given up on us and was bereft of ideas.

This new bite your ankles/in your face set up with pace to burn may have suited him although I doubt it. The whole concept of how we play has changed 100% in 6 months and wasters won't be involved, unless injuries bring us to our knees which is very close to where we are now.
I'm not sure you grasped my post. I'm not comparing them as players. It was more about our fans and how we put new players on pedestals when they start off well, and then turn on them as soon as they go through poor spells. Which all players will have unless your name is Lionel Messi.

Loved the celebration!

Great professional and contributing a lot early this season.
Screenshot_2021-10-02-17-44-37-05_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

I thought Townsend was a decent signing as a squad filler, but, I was worried that he had been signed as a starter. Well it seems he was signed as a starter and I shouldn’t have worried about it, he is playing out of his skin.

Demarai Grey is a different matter, I was quite pleased when we signed him, I remembered him in his early days at Leicester and it always looked like there was a player in there. He has that rare gift of being a flyer, who can run nearly as fast with the ball as he can without it.

Looks like he enjoys being a footballer and playing football.

Been a brilliant signing so far and even if/when his form drops a little we'll know he wont stop trying

Him, Gray, Doucs and even Allan are putting in at least 7 out of 10 shifts every game. Amazing what that does for the team. If we can get DCL and Richarlison doing the same we can dare to dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.