2023/24 Andre Gomes

Trouble is, with the financial ‘rules’ being what they are, the club might see it as being a safer bet to keep him on with a lower wage than see him go for nothing and have to pay for a replacement.

I say ‘the club’ but that makes us sound like there’s someone actually in charge. It’ll be Dyche and Kev deciding it over a post-match Stella and a scotch egg.

His fitness issues alone mean he shouldn't be an option. He'll still be looking for a payday of 50+k a week I reckon and we need to get away as quickly as possible of having players use this club as a retirement home and a nice little earner with minimum input

Trouble is, with the financial ‘rules’ being what they are, the club might see it as being a safer bet to keep him on with a lower wage than see him go for nothing and have to pay for a replacement.

I say ‘the club’ but that makes us sound like there’s someone actually in charge. It’ll be Dyche and Kev deciding it over a post-match Stella and a scotch egg.

….if he stays he’s in the driving seat in negotiations. He can leave on a lucrative Bosman in a matter of weeks, so his demands on staying will likely include a 6 figure signing fee and at least 2 years on his current salary.

He has to be moved on but we have to acquire footballers who can control a football, are comfortable in possession, can pass to teammates and have a bit of pace, strength and mobility.

….if he stays he’s in the driving seat in negotiations. He can leave on a lucrative Bosman in a matter of weeks, so his demands on staying will likely include a 6 figure signing fee and at least 2 years on his current salary.

He has to be moved on but we have to acquire footballers who can control a football, are comfortable in possession, can pass to teammates and have a bit of pace, strength and mobility.
Are we sure all Bosmans are lucrative? If it's possible to get a non-lucrative Bosman, I would think Andre is just the man to do it.

Despite him having the turning circle of a large cruise ship, he was the only one who looked remotely comfortable on the ball in the middle of the park. Doesn't help we collectively have no idea how to pass and move so nobody ever gives options.

His first 25 mins yesterday mind were among the worst I can remember. Embarrassing set pieces.

Id be happy with letting him go and bring in Barkley on a free in his place, on lower wages

That's the type of deal we'll need to be doing, wheeling and dealing. At this moment in time would Barkley offer more than Gomes? 100% he does and would instantly be our best ball carrying midfielder.

He's kept his fitness up, can't be on a massive wage at Luton so should be on the kind of ballpark figure we can manage.

That's the type of deal we'll need to be doing, wheeling and dealing. At this moment in time would Barkley offer more than Gomes? 100% he does and would instantly be our best ball carrying midfielder.

He's kept his fitness up, can't be on a massive wage at Luton so should be on the kind of ballpark figure we can manage.
Definitely

Despite him having the turning circle of a large cruise ship, he was the only one who looked remotely comfortable on the ball in the middle of the park. Doesn't help we collectively have no idea how to pass and move so nobody ever gives options.

His first 25 mins yesterday mind were among the worst I can remember. Embarrassing set pieces.
This.

100% we need to vary the threat, we are far to telegraphed, we need a playmaker - even if someone like Barkley.

As for Gomes we simply cant afford him he costs us about 11 mill a year.

His set pieces were dreadful, but I don’t see how his performance isn’t being recognised as one of the better ones yesterday. Not everything has to be a super ball to start an attack, honestly we just someone who can pass at all. Our midfield desperately lacks composure and he is the only one that seems comfortable receiving the ball whilst being pressed and finding a pass out of it.

He has to play with Gueye, but neither can play with doucoure in a 3 as the loose touches and wayward passes invite way too much pressure to recover from. I’d suspect we’d go back to our turgid best if Gomes was dropped.

Ironically Barkley is just the sort of player, style wise, we need. I.e. can actually control a football, pass it, and run with it competently. I know, unrealistic expectations and all that.