2023/24 Andre Gomes

Lovely cameo. Puts him in the shop window. The footballing equivalent of the pop group that has a top 10 hit every five years and fails to chart with every other single before, during, and after.

Interesting stories about Dyche telling Gomes he wants him involved this season, Dyche does seem to like a coaching challenge, I do wonder if be thinks he can mentally condition him raise his performances to that sort of level on a consistent basis.
On his day Gomes is a very good player, unfortunately for us those days have been few and far between.

Interesting stories about Dyche telling Gomes he wants him involved this season, Dyche does seem to like a coaching challenge, I do wonder if be thinks he can mentally condition him raise his performances to that sort of level on a consistent basis.
On his day Gomes is a very good player, unfortunately for us those days have been few and far between.
He so reminded me yesterday of exactly as he played when he first came to us on loan.
It shows he's still capable of that form but it's marrying that to consistency which would be the key.
I like the fact Dyche doesn't give up easily on players, here's another example, time will tell if his time and patience is rewarded or not.

It would be lovely, but which do you think is more likely?

We've had five years to make up our minds about Gomes. That sample size dwarfs a single game at an obliging Spurs.

If I'm wrong, Sean Dyche is a genius.
He did play in a totally different position though, so there's that.

He did play in a totally different position though, so there's that.
If he had a hidden talent for playing a different position, I'm pretty sure it would have emerged over half a decade. It didn't, so I think it more likely there is no hidden talent. Gomes has talent, but he's not got what's needed between the ears. We know that after five years. Great he had a good game, hope he has more. We can't extend the contract of a player who has spectacularly failed for us, no more than we would Frank Lampard's.

Maybe Dyche proves me wrong. He'll deserve a lucrative contract extension on better terms if he does in this case, though.

If he had a hidden talent for playing a different position, I'm pretty sure it would have emerged over half a decade. It didn't, so I think it more likely there is no hidden talent. Gomes has talent, but he's not got what's needed between the ears. We know that after five years. Great he had a good game, hope he has more. We can't extend the contract of a player who has spectacularly failed for us, no more than we would Frank Lampard's.

Maybe Dyche proves me wrong. He'll deserve a lucrative contract extension on better terms if he does in this case, though.
There have been loads of examples of players who have thrived in some teams / systems and under certain managers and not others though. Look at Torres and Shevchenko bombing at Chelsea, Forlan at United, Beattie for us etc. We'll never know why certain managers failed to get a tune out of Gomes in previous years, but Dyche has already shown a knack for getting more consistently decent play out of players. Look at Mykolenko and Doucouré. Whether André can show the same is yet to be seen but you can't deny that was a strong performance especially from someone who has been out of action for so long.

Same here...but for the first time in many many years things are changing at the football club. Dyche and his team have been exceptional sorting out the mess left over by previous managers/dof. If the think new contract should be offered then so be it.

We have plenty of legs in the team, who work bloody hard, Harrison, McNeil, Garner, Gana, Doucoure and Onana, it's the work ethic Dyche demands.