2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mina's game, when he's playing well is very well suited to more difficult opposition. He can hold players off, go past them, as well as switch the play. The modern game has become about top teams trying to win the ball high up the pitch, and he's a player who with those 3 traits can break the press and leave you quite vulnerable.

The issue is, it's quite a high risk game. If you lose the ball you're in big trouble, but if you don't attempt to do it you eventually get worn down and lose.

So I make you right, he will be a key man for both City and Liverpool.

Around the time of the 1st derby this year, he looked done to me. He looked like he'd lost that yard of pace to get away and the strenth that came with it. He was a plodder, who people could take the ball off. Ancelotti deserves a lot of credit, as he's shifted his mindset, and a lot of it is mindset. When you experience such a horrendous injury holding a player off and going past them, your desire to do it goes a bit. He finally looks like he believes he can do it now. So I'm not sure it was the body recovering, but more the mind recovering.

For me, I ws quietly impressed at Burnley away. At least he was starting to play as the Andre we had known, holding players off and trying to carry the ball. He was a bit up and down after that but gradually getting better. The cameo at Wolves, aside from the goal was good as well. There was a moment where he went passed 2 Wolves players (one may have been Neves) like they weren't there, was fouled (which ridiculously didn't blow for) and you could begin to see the old Gomes returning.

I remember watching the game, and thinking at his best, even good players like Neves can't handle Gomes, but it is now a case of consistency for him. A bit like Paul Pogba, it becomes how consistent can you be?

You look at particularly Liverpool's current midfield, and you think, in honesty the likes of Thiago won't make a mark on Gomes if he's at his best. I hope he is!
Take it you meant Gomes ;)

Yeah. That basically sums up what I meant when I said he'd be important to us. The Pickford Anfield derby (apart from missing a goal line sitter obviously) epitomised what he is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.