2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm assuming we have the budget for another CM/DM and that Morgan / McCarthy / Besic are all gone, so I'm fine with it. It's a good price for a player with obvious talent. I very much appreciate and watch the defensive side of the game, but I cannot deny that Gomes is LOVELY to watch. He represents the shirt well.

I just take umbrage with these ridiculous ideas that he's our best playmaker since Arteta and have concerns how he fits with Gana and Siggy, who let's face it, aren't going anywhere. It's just absurd. I think the defensive concerns are real and want to see him improve. Our CM was a HUGE problem last year. Andre Gomes does not fix it.

I thought Gana looked a completely different player when alongside Gomes, suddenly found the kind of form I didn't think possible. Same with Gylfi tbf, one of his best seasons.

All about opinions though mate, I think he's quality (that's not to say I don't want more from him and expect him to step up even more) but I've got a real good feeling we are going to get the very best from him, he's a proper Everton player him and they don't come around very often ;)

I don't give a hooters about his stats, I've watched him with my own eyes this guy is a baller and is currently what this team needs to push us forward
creative
can pass long or short
can score
calm on the ball which is huge
90% of the fanbase is gay for him
Everton have been starved of these players for absolute years, Arteta and Gomes are the truly creative players we need and have sought after

I don't give a hooters about his stats, I've watched him with my own eyes this guy is a baller and is currently what this team needs to push us forward
creative
can pass long or short
can score
calm on the ball which is huge
90% of the fanbase is gay for him
Everton have been starved of these players for absolute years, Arteta and Gomes are the truly creative players we need and have sought after
Creative? Yeah?

I thought that our good performances (start and end of last season) with gomes in midfield were amongst the best I've seen from Everton (moyes onwards for my lifetime). A lack of quality and inability to dominate a midfield has been an issue for a decade or more. While he may not stack up perfectly statistically, to beat the top teams you need players who can create time for themselves.

I would caveat this with the fact that when he's having an off day he is absolutely dreadful, some of the mid-season showings had me wondering if I was watching the same player.

Anyway for £20-25m he's great value. Also while he doesn't tackle well / frequently his ability to break through other players tackles (he's a good size) does add some much needed strength to our midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.