2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don’t condone stamping, raking etc, however, I believe tackling - good, honest, skilful tackling is part of the game, and we’re the poorer in my belief for it’s loss. Tackling from behind should never have been removed, especially when the ball is won quite fairly by the defender. Going through somebody is a different kettle of fish.

For instance, it’s safe to say that once an attacker reaches the penalty area, it’s merely a case of one-on-one with the keeper - almost a penalty situation - as most attempts to challenge an attacker, these days, ends in a penalty decision as many trip to deceive - Salah?

Bringing back a balance of fair play would stop all this, especially as the technology exists to assist decision making. So, if a player is tackled in the penalty area, and the ball is won by the defender - and deemed to have done so fairly (s*d off with your deceitful melodramatics), then no penalty should be awarded.

That would even things up in my book.

Everton should use the ban as a means to raise questions about the process. We can't excuse Gomes's mischief because it was a clear stamp well after the ball had vacated the premises, and I think it would've been ludicrous for Everton to have appealed it. Better to see Everton make an official statement that Gomes's three-game ban is justified, while also calling for a systematic examination of how such punishments are distributed through the league based on photographic evidence at hand involving a variety of teams, some of whom seem to routinely escape notice.

Everton should use the ban as a means to raise questions about the process. We can't excuse Gomes's mischief because it was a clear stamp well after the ball had vacated the premises, and I think it would've been ludicrous for Everton to have appealed it. Better to see Everton make an official statement that Gomes's three-game ban is justified, while also calling for a systematic examination of how such punishments are distributed through the league based on photographic evidence at hand involving a variety of teams, some of whom seem to routinely escape notice.
The FA probably go for Everton more than most,as we probably dont like to answer back to them lol, so many more as we know should have been done for a lot of things that get away with it so easily for no other reasons other than what we think-top 6 team etc and so on.

The FA probably go for Everton more than most,as we probably dont like to answer back to them lol, so many more as we know should have been done for a lot of things that get away with it so easily for no other reasons other than what we think-top 6 team etc and so on.
Maybe so. And if the FA were looking for a fall guy, Everton would be a good choice so long as it could be counted upon to not kick up a fuss, since 1) it's not a top six team but 2) it's such a top-flight mainstay with such a long historical tradition that the FA can look like it means business by targeting Toffees.

Or maybe it's just my confirmation bias. I don't know.

I think the bans handed out to the likes of Cantona, Ferdinand, Bosnich, Toure, Suarez, Terry etc kind of disprove the bias theory though.

It was a poor challenge and I think it was a red card. Hopefully Gomes learns from it and it knocks a few quid of his price tag.

Hardly the same and Im pretty sure FA didn’t ban Cantona , Man U did it before the fa and then it was accepted. But Cantona kicked a fan in the face with his studs on Monday night football , bonsich was a cocaine addict pimping out Darren Anderson’s supermodel sister, Suarez was a racist cannibal , Ferdinand didn’t take a drugs test because he was “ moving house” , not sure what terry did as my memeory is pretty crap.

He will be gutted to have missed todays game.

Hopefully he comes back full throttle against Spurs and dominates the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.