2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been good but not as good as everyone's making out

We're an excitable bunch! The fact that he hasn't played much footy at all over the last year means he should get better. To be where he is already after 2 games, makes it possible that we have a great player on our hands. Shame he'll be difficult to sign at the end of the season. Hope we try and get something done earlier if he continues to progress.

He's been good but not as good as everyone's making out

Yeah, he´s done well considering it´s his first two games. Hopefully there is more to come.

Technically he has to be brilliant because his physical attributes aren´t going to help him much.

He looks very strong to me, excellent upper body strength and decent in the air. He's not quick but I've seen a lot slower.

We will have to wait and see but I´d be interested to see how he copes when he´s really pressed on the ball. Hopefully he has the class to deal with it but I do have a fear he might struggle.

Don’t think he’s as slow as some are making out. He’s big, strong and has good ball control anyway so it doesn’t particularly matter.
Yeah, the guy is 6’2” and can keep it while he’s moving forward. He’s not super fast, but if no one is getting it from him and he can pass, who cares. And he’s not like Gareth Barry slow or some complete liability out there on defense. I’m sure we’d all love to have a Doucoure type that can run like the wind in the middle of the pitch, but Gomes is still a massive upgrade over what we currently have.

We will have to wait and see but I´d be interested to see how he copes when he´s really pressed on the ball. Hopefully he has the class to deal with it but I do have a fear he might struggle.
Pogba tried his best to start a 1v1 with him yesterday. Think Gomes caught him with a sly one which upset yellow head. After that, he seemed to hunt down Gomes every time he got the ball. Lukaku went after him a few times too.
What was great to see by return was Gomes absolutely mug the pair of them off time and time again, especially Pogba. Used his body well, he's got great feet and he just manipulated the ball until he got free.
I actually think he needed to be more progressive yesterday but i'm absolutely positive that will come with more time with his new team-mates.
And has anyone mentioned, the man is absolutely stunning.

Pogba tried his best to start a 1v1 with him yesterday. Think Gomes caught him with a sly one which upset yellow head. After that, he seemed to hunt down Gomes every time he got the ball. Lukaku went after him a few times too.
What was great to see by return was Gomes absolutely mug the pair of them off time and time again, especially Pogba. Used his body well, he's got great feet and he just manipulated the ball until he got free.
I actually think he needed to be more progressive yesterday but i'm absolutely positive that will come with more time with his new team-mates.
And has anyone mentioned, the man is absolutely stunning.
Couldn't have describe it better. Matic too tried to get at him and was made to look bang average. An ability to work the ball out from really tight spaces. a nice little bit of mongrel about him too the way he dumped Pogba on the ground in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.