2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he goes to spurs, his mental nightmare at Barca should be a pleasant daydream if he ever steps on our turf ever again.

He's literally the only playmaker we've had since Arteta, so that statement is kind of true...
If he made any sort of plays I would agree with you. You can't label someone a playmaker if they don't make any significant plays.

Unlike Gomes, Arteta actually created chances all over the pitch AND actually picked off passes and made the occasional tackle even if he wasn't much faster than Gomes. Arteta was MILES better than Gomes in virtually every way.

And yes, STATS ARE BAD, yet magically Arteta's stats in those same areas I noted above were amazing.

Koff with the stats
I apologize when stats ruin people's narratives, but sometime AT LEAST it's worth wondering why the stats are what they are. That would also explain why all these clubs are either hiring data folks or spending a fortune on boutique analysis firms.

He's.Not.That.Good. We.Can.Do.Better.
Nowhere near the level Arteta was.
I unfortunately do not lie. Sorry. He's not that good. He simply doesn't create much with the ball and is a significant liability when the other team has it. Good in possession, decent passing range, great dribbler, but too slow and/or disciplined. Not.That.Good.

It's unreal, though, there are folks that thing he's the best playmaker we've had since Arteta and others that think it would be catastrophic if he signed elsewhere. It's just bizarre. Good. But NOT.THAT.GOOD.

When we look better going forward and create more chances with Gana and Morgan Schneiderlin - which is a more defensive setup, I think it's worth considering whether we need him at all.
LOL, You mean Morgan "never pass it forward" Schneiderlin and we create more chances under him? Rubbish.
Gomes gives the team no one else has in midfield c r e a t i v t y the man has it all in his locker,
He'd hugely improve this squad and give us something that we so desperately need. It's a no brainer signing and it won't be end of the world if we miss out on him but he fits quite well into this team.
Probably this Nymz. But based on his performances this season we really should be buying him.
Hes an elite footballer.

Im not saying hes wurld klass, but hes struggled with injury and still showed his class.

Once he adapts, he will show how good he is.
He's boss mate, and the thing is, to get better than him, we couldn't afford that player
He's an unbelievable footballer.

If you don't think he's 'that' good, and think we're better with Gueye and Schneiderlin, maybe find something else. Perhaps an optician.
It seems technical players are not appreciated anymore

It's all about those marathon runners
Utter tosh. He oozes class. He gets his foot on the ball and actually looks up and plays a forward pass. Comparing him with Schniderlin is an utter insult.
I don't get this constant criticism of Gomes from you, if you watch as much football as you say how can you not see how he controls the pace and direction of our game?
Did he knob your missus or something , is that the reason ?
Anything less than £30m and he's money in the bank.
Too slow, doesn’t create much and is poor defensively.....apart from that he’s a decent bloke? We can do better? Care to suggest who and for how much money?
At his best he controls a game, keeps possession, is the man who makes the assist to the assister. Shields the ball well, can make forward runs, brings our wingers into the game and takes us up field. I think he could be boss.
Please buy him Marcel. If he goes somewhere else for £25m, we’ll be fuming.
One thing Gomes has over Schneiderlin from the off is, he's not a bad coward like him, oh, and Schneiderlin isn't good enough to lace up Gomes' boots.
Personally think this will get done, he's had a good season with us after all his struggles and clearly likes it here. We'll outbid Spurs or anyone else who goes in for him, I'm absolutely sure of that. Zouma though I think is extremely unlikely, Chelsea would have to be absolutely daft to do business with any other PL club for him when he's their best centre-half.

The way some posters rave about him is like he's the second coming :)

I see that hes a solid passer, looks great technically and is fantastic at shielding the ball.

I also see that he cant tackle and gives away fouls in worrying areas, also hes slow and finally doesnt appear to influence the final third in terms of goals or assists.

I think hes an effective player for us in the sense that he doesnt lose the ball often and that helps us get up the pitch and keep ticking things over...if hes on his game, when hes not on form he looks a liability.

I agree with GOTs sentiment about "£30mil or less being money in the bank" but id lower that to under £25mil.

Look at Neves and Torreira, two very different players but far more effective.

With Sigurdsson + Gomes 2 of the midfield players are slow...just a recipe for disaster.

So we have opened talks so for me it’s only a matter of time till he signs that contract. He has come to a club where he has been appreciated by all concerned. He also seems to of took on board what Everton do in the community which is great to see.

Let’s hope talks with Chelsea over Zouma start as well.

I apologize when stats ruin people's narratives, but sometime AT LEAST it's worth wondering why the stats are what they are. That would also explain why all these clubs are either hiring data folks or spending a fortune on boutique analysis firms.

It’s not a narrative, it’s a fact. Football isn’t played with numbers in a database. And the majority of clubs have their own sports science departments.

But it’s ok, you’ve logged onto whoscored so that’s more important.

Like I said it’s a good job you weren’t around in the 80’s, you would have had Reid and Bracewell booted and told us that Sheedy didn’t dribble past enough people

The way some posters rave about him is like he's the second coming :)

I see that hes a solid passer, looks great technically and is fantastic at shielding the ball.

I also see that he cant tackle and gives away fouls in worrying areas, also hes slow and finally doesnt appear to influence the final third in terms of goals or assists.

I think hes an effective player for us in the sense that he doesnt lose the ball often and that helps us get up the pitch and keep ticking things over...if hes on his game, when hes not on form he looks a liability.

I agree with GOTs sentiment about "£30mil or less being money in the bank" but id lower that to under £25mil.

Look at Neves and Torreira, two very different players but far more effective.

With Sigurdsson + Gomes 2 of the midfield players are slow...just a recipe for disaster.

That midget at Arsenal is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.