An invaluable guide for a visit to the Palace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Whittle

Player Valuation: £60m
For those Blues making the trip to Fortress Selhurst on Saturday I offer the following in the spirit of football fellowship.

Who are deese again?

Crystal Palace FC. Not to be confused with Buckingham Palace or Caesar's Palace. An original club were formed some time in the 1860's from workers at the site of the original Crystal Palace, the wonder of the modern age at the 1851 Great Exhibition in Hyde Park. They were moderately successful and reached an FA Cup semi final in 1872. They fell out with the FA over the use of their ground for FA Cup finals and eventually folded, to be reformed by the current club in 1905.

Oh! dat lot that plays in Red and Blue.

That's it. Red and Blue. Formerly Claret and Sky Blue, and before that Black and White mainly, for a bit, but before that Claret and Sky Blue.

The Eagles though yeah?

Oh yes. The Eagles......and before that The Glaziers.

At Selhurst Park still?

Yes, still here. Likely to stay that way as well to the relief of the majority of Palace fans. Away fans are housed in the Arthur Waite Stand, names after the former Chairman who oversaw the rise from the old Division 4 in 1961to the old Division1 in 1969. An Evertonian I met once nicknamed it the Terry Waite Stand as he found conditions similar to those experienced as a captive of Palestinian terrorists held in an underground concrete bunker without human comforts. To be fair it's had a lick of paint since then. Formerly housed in the section adjacent to the more boisterous Palace fans you will now find yourselves adjacent to the family stand so please mind your language in front of young Tarquin and Jocasta.

Miles from anywhere though ain't it?

A survey carried out in 2012 found that the three most popular conspiracy theories in the world concerned the moon landings, Kennedy's assassination and the proximity of Selhurst Park in relation to public transport. There are three British Rail stations within a short walk of the ground. Between them and the ground are a number of watering holes which will welcome away fans;

..at bloody last lid, something useful

Wetherspoons opposite Thornton Heath station, Wetherspoons in South Norwood High Street and The Victory Club (£1 guest membership) just up from Norwood Junction station on the way to the ground.
Aside from the White Horse in Selhurst Road and The Clifton in Holmesdale Road, if you're not wearing colours and shouting like Bobby Grant straightening out their Damon then you'll be welcome almost anywhere.

You sure about the trains like?
According to network rail there are maintenance works between London Bridge and Norwood Junction so it's worth checking to see if it's a bus transfer or if it is ok from Victoria.

I hope the above is of some use. Everton, I'm pleased to say, are held in pretty high esteem as a football club of great tradition and decent fans. You will, of course, here the "Sign on Sign on" song at least once but take comfort that it will have been started by a spotty 14 year old who knows no better and thinks he's being originally hilarious.
For myself, I hate these games. I will sit next to my Evertonian son as I have done every time we have met since about 1994. Even in the unlikely event of a win (or even a corner!) my pleasure will be diluted by the agonies that my lad will go through, and of course vice versa. I cannot get used to having two fixtures a year where I do not want the Blue boys to come out on top.
To those of you coming, have a great trip and a good day out. For the ninety minutes of football.....well......give us a break eh?

Cheers Alan. Miles better than owt our previewer writes. Could do with a few pics though lad :)
I have a restricted view which gives me a warm glow inside because it means Selhurst Park is clearly a proper ground.

Cheers for the read there mate, brought back a few memories from previous trips! Been to Selhurst a few times but only once against Palace the other couple against that other lot that buggered off to Milton Keynes. Can't make this one though unfortunately but I'll be watching with nostalgic eyes.

For those Blues making the trip to Fortress Selhurst on Saturday I offer the following in the spirit of football fellowship.

Who are deese again?

Crystal Palace FC. Not to be confused with Buckingham Palace or Caesar's Palace. An original club were formed some time in the 1860's from workers at the site of the original Crystal Palace, the wonder of the modern age at the 1851 Great Exhibition in Hyde Park. They were moderately successful and reached an FA Cup semi final in 1872. They fell out with the FA over the use of their ground for FA Cup finals and eventually folded, to be reformed by the current club in 1905.

Oh! dat lot that plays in Red and Blue.

That's it. Red and Blue. Formerly Claret and Sky Blue, and before that Black and White mainly, for a bit, but before that Claret and Sky Blue.

The Eagles though yeah?

Oh yes. The Eagles......and before that The Glaziers.

At Selhurst Park still?

Yes, still here. Likely to stay that way as well to the relief of the majority of Palace fans. Away fans are housed in the Arthur Waite Stand, names after the former Chairman who oversaw the rise from the old Division 4 in 1961to the old Division1 in 1969. An Evertonian I met once nicknamed it the Terry Waite Stand as he found conditions similar to those experienced as a captive of Palestinian terrorists held in an underground concrete bunker without human comforts. To be fair it's had a lick of paint since then. Formerly housed in the section adjacent to the more boisterous Palace fans you will now find yourselves adjacent to the family stand so please mind your language in front of young Tarquin and Jocasta.

Miles from anywhere though ain't it?

A survey carried out in 2012 found that the three most popular conspiracy theories in the world concerned the moon landings, Kennedy's assassination and the proximity of Selhurst Park in relation to public transport. There are three British Rail stations within a short walk of the ground. Between them and the ground are a number of watering holes which will welcome away fans;

..at bloody last lid, something useful

Wetherspoons opposite Thornton Heath station, Wetherspoons in South Norwood High Street and The Victory Club (£1 guest membership) just up from Norwood Junction station on the way to the ground.
Aside from the White Horse in Selhurst Road and The Clifton in Holmesdale Road, if you're not wearing colours and shouting like Bobby Grant straightening out their Damon then you'll be welcome almost anywhere.

You sure about the trains like?
According to network rail there are maintenance works between London Bridge and Norwood Junction so it's worth checking to see if it's a bus transfer or if it is ok from Victoria.

I hope the above is of some use. Everton, I'm pleased to say, are held in pretty high esteem as a football club of great tradition and decent fans. You will, of course, here the "Sign on Sign on" song at least once but take comfort that it will have been started by a spotty 14 year old who knows no better and thinks he's being originally hilarious.
For myself, I hate these games. I will sit next to my Evertonian son as I have done every time we have met since about 1994. Even in the unlikely event of a win (or even a corner!) my pleasure will be diluted by the agonies that my lad will go through, and of course vice versa. I cannot get used to having two fixtures a year where I do not want the Blue boys to come out on top.
To those of you coming, have a great trip and a good day out. For the ninety minutes of football.....well......give us a break eh?

Superb Al.

For myself, I hate these games. I will sit next to my Evertonian son as I have done every time we have met since about 1994. Even in the unlikely event of a win (or even a corner!) my pleasure will be diluted by the agonies that my lad will go through, and of course vice versa

Stuff like this is what makes having other sides fans well worth having on here.

Mr the esk's favourite ground in London, he took me there on a date to watch Wimbledon v Everton many years ago...

He's back from China tomorrow in time for the game, only this time I'm not going with him xx

My last trip there, the catering for the away fans was a hotdog stand on wheels. So eat pleanty before you get to the ground, you have been warned. LOL

Went there once to watch Ipswich....totally random.....toilets overflowed....juicy.

Wore an Everton Shirt and the Ipswich fans chanted Scouser at me.....I felt loved.

I went to Selhurst Park a few times - all in the 1970/71 season, and with mixed feelings.

The 1st one was CP v Spurs - forget the result - and the 2nd was CP v Man Utd. One the best games I've ever seen and one
in which I saw the sheer brilliance of George Best. It finished 3-5. What a match!

The others were Palace v Everton, the last league match of a horrible season and we lost 2-0.

I'm a glutton for punishment, though, and travelled down from Stafford to see us play Stoke in the play off for 3rd in the FA
Cup. Why did they ever do that? And we got beat 3-2.

I expect better this Saturday.

....I remember going to Selhurst Park in the early 60s because I had family that lived in a house overlooking Thornton Heath station. They were lower league in those days and I'm sure their knickname was the Glaziers. I also think at one stage they had a goalie called Peter Glazer which was a bit odd. More recently I stayed in Croydon for work and the train went through Thornton Heath and shortly after the ground is visible on the left hand side. Happy memories.

....I remember going to Selhurst Park in the early 60s because I had family that lived in a house overlooking Thornton Heath station. They were lower league in those days and I'm sure their knickname was the Glaziers. I also think at one stage they had a goalie called Peter Glazer which was a bit odd. More recently I stayed in Croydon for work and the train went through Thornton Heath and shortly after the ground is visible on the left hand side. Happy memories.

Bill Glazier who was sold to Coventry in 1964 for £35000 which was a lot for a lower league keeper in those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.