2023/24 Amadou Onana

8th taker??? what on earth are you on about.

Onana was the 5th taker, so he was the last person to take a penalty out of the 5 penalties you get in a shootout.
Yes, sorry i got muddled. My point was that i dont think the takers choose the order. As Dyche said in the post match they just ask who doesnt want to take one and steve stone decides the order? There were some senior players that could have stepped up to take before Onana.

I haven't posted in years but I've decided to vent as last night was the angriest and most disgusted by far I've ever been with an Everton player over the decades of disappointment. I spent 10 mins shouting at the TV. It's been 28 years since a trophy and a golden opportunity to get to a cup semi, and lift the perma gloom of fighting relegation / administration, was unfortunately sized from us by a selfish arrogant idiot who's primary concern was to look good on Instagram. In effecting that style, to satisfy his own ego, he significantly reduced the probability of scoring. It reflects badly on the boss that he was even in the 5. He remains however a valuable asset for the club so his progress should not be impaired by this just don't ever let the moron take a peno again.

Even Jorginho has had an horrific time of it from the spot since the last Euros. He missed penalties that effectively cost the Italians a World Cup place - and it was Jordan Pickford who stopped him winning the Euro final with a magnificent stop. I'm beginning to think Pickford is cursed. He would be Sir Jordan Pickford now and in a League Cup semi-final had his team-mates capitalised on his shoot-out displays in 2021 and last night. He had us in the winning position last night and kept England afloat in 21...
It shows how good Pickford is at penalties.
With the current rules for keepers, we’re seeing more shoot-outs go beyond the first five and then it really does boil down to someone you know being likely to miss, which unfortunately was the case with Gueye.
Which makes it all the more crucial for your first five to not try anything stupid.

Also not sure what you mean by last taker? The order im sure is decided before the penalties are taken. He was the 8th taker with 2 other outfield players still to be going next - Branthwaite and Patterson if my memory serves me ok and of course i would have chosen pickford before Gana - he was nailed on to miss and that anoyed me more than Onana missing.
Anyway like you say, leave it there. We will never agree.
There is no comparison between the 8th taker and the 5th. The 5th is usually a very important kick - it's either to keep you in it, or to win it. In my opinion, you want your strongest taker there, and your second strongest going 1st.

Gana was 8th. Can't argue between that and 11th - penalties are usually long over by the 8th kick.

And no one cares about Gana's miss - he went up, took his shot, and missed. Totally fine with his effort.

Onana's effort, though, in the 5th spot, was just so bizarre on so many levels.

Hopefully he moves on from it quickly and learns something

Told me mate earlier that the keeper could have put his foot on it and just trapped it.
It was just so, so bad. I wonder if the pressure really did affect him to make such a poor effort - a mental effort if we're being honest. Pressure causes mental errors/bad choices more than physical ones in individual sports like tennis. If you think about it, that's really all a penalty is

It said everything that he wanted to take it so quickly. He was nervous and wanted to get it over with right away. Not sure he should have gone before Garner, but maybe he didn’t expect to take it.

It was a terrible conflict of a confident, talented young lad and someone who was absolutely bricking it. The amalgamation of those two things was terrible.

I said to my daughters when he was walking up to take it that he was going to miss,I said something like he is missing this watch him take a silly penalty for his insta reel and miss, he did and missed and made himself look a right idiot, he won’t be the first and won’t be the last just hope he realises this and plays out of his skin to make up for his error
Not sure if you and I are the same person...said the same to my daughter when Gana walked up for his.