2023/24 Amadou Onana

How is any of that the same thing?

We didn't play well and find the winning goal, but put ourselves in a position to go to our first semi final in what 10 years? But onanas ego stopped that.

People have a right to feel angry and confused about that penalty, ultimately we'll forget it and move on but let's not put yhe blame on others when if he just took a normal penalty we'd be sitting here celebrating now.
Whats a normal penalty buddy and is one of these normal penalties gaurenteed to go in? Im sure hes practiced this technique, just didnt work out for the lad on this occasion. Not sure what its got to do with ego. More like its a technique you dont like, you would rather see everyone smash it as hard as they can and the ones that goes out over the stadium thats OK cos there was no ego required to smash it hard down! But all the players that do little skips and different techniques, when they miss its ego?
But yes people can feel angry, but best to go deal with the anger with a good anger management councillor and leave the lad alone.

It's not the fact he missed the penalty, like you say, it happens all the time..

It's the way he took the penalty, No care in the world. Like he would at the end of a training session, as he strolls of laughing with pickford.
Well im sure he did have a care. Im sure he practiced this and it came off in training OK.

might as well just leave it there pal, because that's exactly what that pen and being the last taker was all about.

Also, not a propa fan if you wasn't angry/frustrated coming out of that ground yesterday, some people like everton more than others, it's ok.
Frustrated at the game as a whole, yes. But im old enough to know if you leave it to penalties they are a lottery. Noone wants to miss one, we had 90 mins to win the game. Once penners start i dont feel obliged to feel angry with someone missing. Much better players than Onana have missed them over the years.
When it went to penalties i already had consoled myself about the inevitability of how it was going to end. Im also not so sure the level of anger / frustration you feel is an indication of how much of a fan you are. We all want Everton to do well, but its a game and someone always loses cup games.

and being the last taker was all about.

What happened there then? Is there something I'm missing? (genuine question.)

Did he say he only wanted to take the last penalty?

He certainly wouldn't have been my choice to take a pen before that one. Everybody knows that your best penalty taker takes the first one, and you carry on in that fashion. No point sticking your best penalty taker on the 5th pen if you miss the first three. Christiano Ronaldo waited til last once for Portugal, didn't he, and never even got to take it.

Last edited:
Frustrated at the game as a whole, yes. But im old enough to know if you leave it to penalties they are a lottery. Noone wants to miss one, we had 90 mins to win the game. Once penners start i dont feel obliged to feel angry with someone missing. Much better players than Onana have missed them over the years.
When it went to penalties i already had consoled myself about the inevitability of how it was going to end. Im also not so sure the level of anger / frustration you feel is an indication of how much of a fan you are. We all want Everton to do well, but its a game and someone always loses cup games.

mate no one is arsed that people miss pens, Gana has got absolutely no stick whatsoever, because he didn't arse around tryna be a cocky arrogant blurt in a cup quarter final to win us the tie.

I'm over it now, and hope he just goes back to putting in good performances in like he has done most of the season, but acting all high and mighty because people were rightly frustrated last night after the game, telling them to take anger management is just outright bizarre.

What happened there then? Is there something I'm missing? (genuine question.)

Did he say he only wanted to take the last penalty?

He certainly wouldn't have been my choice to take a pen before that one. Everybody knows that your best penalty taker takes the first one, and you carry in that fashion. No point sticking your best penalty taker on the 5th pen if you miss the first three. Christiano Ronaldo waited til last once for Portugal, didn't he, and never even got to take it.

I think your very naive John from bootle.

Might be a positive in the long term. Hopefully with Dyches guidance, he’ll realise he’s not the bees knees and knuckles down to being a man and pro footballer rather than a prancing show off

might as well just leave it there pal, because that's exactly what that pen and being the last taker was all about.

Also, not a propa fan if you wasn't angry/frustrated coming out of that ground yesterday, some people like everton more than others, it's ok.
Also not sure what you mean by last taker? The order im sure is decided before the penalties are taken. He was the 8th taker with 2 other outfield players still to be going next - Branthwaite and Patterson if my memory serves me ok and of course i would have chosen pickford before Gana - he was nailed on to miss and that anoyed me more than Onana missing.
Anyway like you say, leave it there. We will never agree.

Also not sure what you mean by last taker? The order im sure is decided before the penalties are taken. He was the 8th taker with 2 other outfield players still to be going next - Branthwaite and Patterson if my memory serves me ok and of course i would have chosen pickford before Gana - he was nailed on to miss and that anoyed me more than Onana missing.
Anyway like you say, leave it there. We will never agree.
8th taker??? what on earth are you on about.

Onana was the 5th taker, so he was the last person to take a penalty out of the 5 penalties you get in a shootout.

mate no one is arsed that people miss pens, Gana has got absolutely no stick whatsoever, because he didn't arse around tryna be a cocky arrogant blurt in a cup quarter final to win us the tie.

I'm over it now, and hope he just goes back to putting in good performances in like he has done most of the season, but acting all high and mighty because people were rightly frustrated last night after the game, telling them to take anger management is just outright bizarre.
I didnt intend to sound high and mighty, ive just read some of the abuse the lad is getting and its out of order. I just dont take like the anger being taken out on the player that makes a mistake. I mean i think he actually assist the equaliser for Beto and that seems to get forgotten?
Anyway, i apologies if i sound high and mighty. That is not in anybway my intention, im not saying people cant feel angry or frustrated but i just dont like it being aimed at a player that has been doing a good job and working hard recently.

I said to my daughters when he was walking up to take it that he was going to miss,I said something like he is missing this watch him take a silly penalty for his insta reel and miss, he did and missed and made himself look a right idiot, he won’t be the first and won’t be the last just hope he realises this and plays out of his skin to make up for his error