Confirmed Signing Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gap is huge mate.

Who was the last player that came from France and hit the ground running?

It's a genuine question by the way, cos I can't think of any.

Mharez, Kante, gana, didn’t ndidi come from the French league too ? It can be hit and miss but buying “ proven” prem players cost a shed load . Look at Dennis etc.. and he’s not even that good. I will admit tho , I would rather buy players for under 10m and try to develop them. I have never even heard of this kid and hope he does well, but the deal seems very very expensive and has a potential to be a huge disaster if he gets injured, fails to settle or turns out to be crap

Mharez, Kante, gana, didn’t ndidi come from the French league too ? It can be hit and miss but buying “ proven” prem players cost a shed load . Look at Dennis etc.. and he’s not even that good. I will admit tho , I would rather buy players for under 10m and try to develop them. I have never even heard of this kid and hope he does well, but the deal seems very very expensive and has a potential to be a huge disaster if he gets injured, fails to settle or turns out to be crap

you know - I was going to say Mahrez but he joined Leicester when they were in the championship and TBH I don't think he ripped the PL apart when they almost got relegated.

There are enough examples of immediate successes though (also enough examples of those that took time and those that failed... but thats the nature of all transfers though)

Well he sorted the deal to sell Richarlison so I'd imagine he'd be sorting the deal to buy onana.

If Richarlison was £50m for a prover PL player that get double digits in goals every season and onana is £30m with a 20% profit of all future fee being completely unproven in the PL and only 11 league starts last season. Then we either let Richarlison go cheap or we are over paying for onana.

I'm sorry to be negative but I think this is a poor deal I'm made up we got a player in where we need one and he looks a talent but we will need to sell him for £37m to get any profit back on this kid and it looks like we have also gave him some fairly hefty wages as well.

I just think making a kid whos never played in the PL before our 3rd most expensive signing is a risk. Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing and he smashes it.

I hope you’re wrong too, but I share your concerns

11 starts... hmmm

Remember Matheus Nunes at Sporting last summer and a lot of posters wanted him?

I said he needs another season in Portugal really for his development.

Then of course now everyone knows him...same as Diaz who got his move. We couldnt afford him now.

Clearly with Onana they must feel hes going to soon be in the very top bracket of players and made sure we got him at all costs.

The profile of this lad is exactly what we need. Young, high ceiling, athletic, powerful, sell on value and dynamic.

Yet here I am reading some posters casting doubt and essentially moaning about it. Would you rather we bought a "proven" central midfielder, who is 28, who has one good season then we're stuck with for 5 years in big wages??

We will have to be patient but it sounds like they've done their homework on him and this signifies a change in recruitment strategy, it seems. Moyes liking a player so much is a good sign as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.