Almost got em -players that were linked with Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Archie Gemmill from Preston - we'd agreed the deal with Preston and the player but waited to complete the deal. Brian Clough heard about this so drove up to Gemmill's home in Preston and wouldn't leave until he agreed to sign for Derby. He was a persuasive man was Mr Clough!
We made up for it by signing Scott later.

Ha, yeah my memory is weird, I remember minute details of things years ago but cant remember what I had for tea tonight...

Feyenoord it was, Ronald Koeman getting Craig Short sent off for nothing. We struggled at the start of that year, barely got past KR Reykjavik, Amokachi almost doing himself in afater a nasty fall in the home leg.

I always found it odd that he praised Limpar after the Kanchelskis derby and then never (or barely) played him again until binning him off to Birmingham for buttons at the end of the season. Love to know what happened there.

Brilliant stuff mate, I’m remembering it all when you say it, wonderful memory, you make the pub quiz team.

Limpar was really talented but always boom and bust, I think Walker signed him and he wasn’t great in 94, remember deliberately handling the ball in the Wimbledon game to stay up. his best was in the run in 95 especially the Spurs Semi, signing Andrei really threw him off and I don’t think Joe liked playing them both together and often didn’t. Joe I think lost faith with him after the Port Vale game in the Cup, he was on the black list then but came in for another cup embarrassment vs York, dont think he played again, even before that game I think he knew he was a goner.

He always looked liked he was no stranger to a fish supper either! lol

It was strange when Limpar was sold.

But the weirdest thing about it was the fee...only £125k.

Made no sense at all.

Luis Diaz deal almost done but James Rodriguez couldn't agree wages for going the other way

I think this was if we had a big sale as theres no way we had the ability to pay the fee.

Jason Koumas, Lee trundle, David nugent link probably covered the every transfer window for 15 years.
Special mentions for joey Barton and Calum McManaman.
Basically the equivalent of “should play the youngers “ shout - fairytale hopefulness of boyhood blues doing well - umtil turning on them cos they are not Rooney standard.

History has it that Johnson refused to sanction the signing of Norwegian defender Claus Eftevaag — ostensibly a makeweight in a larger deal to acquire his striking compatriot Tore Andre Flo — after Flo himself turned down the move at the last minute. His ultimatum to Royle had the obvious consequence of the manager's resignation.

Peter Johnson's view of this crucial episode was that, as the season continued, it was clear that Joe was getting panicky. While Joe had managed the club, Johnson had never questioned any of his signings but, just before the March 1997 transfer deadline, Joe informed Johnson that he wanted to sign Tore Andre Flo. In order to do so, he had to sign Claus Eftevaag who was somewhat older and would cost £2M. Crucially, this all involved the Norwegian Agent that led to George Graham's demise at Arsenal...

Flo was playing for Norway at the Confederation Cup in Dubai and there would have been a real rush to get him signed before the deadline (for £4M). Eftevaag failed a medical, but Joe still wanted to sign him as he really wanted Flo. So, faced with the guaranteed signing of a potentially unfit player and the non-guarantee of signing Flo, Johnson refused Joe for the first time.

Royle was shocked, walked out and came back 30 minutes later to resign. Johnson didn't want him to resign but admitted that if he had persuaded him to stay, the club would have been relegated..

I think Royal was also trying to resign Barry Horne which didnt sit well with Johnson either

I remember us being linked with Martin Dahlin during the 94 World Cup. Trevor Francis (Sheffield Wednesday boss at the time) was on co-coms for a Sweden match and he said his Wednesday player Roland Nilsson had told him it was a done deal. Don't know why it fell through as he stayed at Gladbach. We got Amo instead. Wonder which flash in the pan we'll go for after this World Cup?

The sad thing is for as crap as we were in the 90s we were still linked to a load of greats and we weren't laughed out of the room. We may have been beaten to the signing by teams that were performing ahead of us at the time but it wasn't like Watford going in for them or like us trying to buy Messi mid 2010's.

At one point or another between 92 and 96 we were in for:

Dahlin
Brolin
Shearer
Bergkamp
Collymoore

Nice one Kenwright for keeping our standing in the game.

I remember in the Autumn of 1991 us being strongly linked with Romanian great Gheorghe Hagi. I almost creamed myself at the prospect of him coming here.

In his autobiography Howard Kendall told the story of due to his contacts in Spain he was alerted to his availability and wanted to sign him, but we couldn't afford his wages and Hagi wasn't too keen on playing in England. But what an acquisition he would've been!

A few weeks later HK signed Mo Johnston...enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.