Alex Young - Heart of Midlothian and Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old man reckoned it was the worst he'd ever seen and he was also at the battle of Goodison game v Leeds too!!never quite the same player Jimmy after that.?
That tackle I was there that night, it was disgusting Waist high as he broke clear on goal not even a yellow card - should have been sent off Dave McKay just got a talking too - as you never the same player after that ..... we got beat in the replay 1-0 too after that 0-0 draw - dirty Leeds hey Cloughie ......

….I remember Husband in a crumpled heap but can only accept the views of others like your Dad regarding how bad it was. McKay was a barrel of a man & they were particularly hard back then, so if his body hit you with menace he would seriously do harm.

Going back to that Young goal, Ray Wilson starts the move by stopping the ball, looking up, taking a few steps back & then hitting it. He always did that, it’s my abiding memory of Wilson.
I have read that Panathinaikos (my first game!!)also targeted Jimmy at Goodison!!

I have read that Panathinaikos (my first game!!)also targeted Jimmy at Goodison!!

….he was very underrated, terrific feet (“skippy”). I vividly remember him wearing no10 in that 1965 FA Youth Cup team. He scored a goal many say is one of the greatest ever at Goodison, (somebody will know the game) love to see if that was captured on camera.

Panathinaikos was such a disappointment, we were better than them but they got the final that season. I think the reds beat us soon after in the FA Cup semi final and it was never the same for that great side.

@Jambo Ray

When you've got a spare hour or so.

I just watched the start of it again, with the opening clip of Alex's little daughter and I realised my eyes were watering. I've still got a copy on an old video tape!

In fact, when I first posted in this thread I forgot it was only 10 days ago that I commented about Alex on a different thread on this site, as follows ...

" I still have a copy of the Golden Vision's book 'Goals at Goodison', the front cover shows Alex playing at Craven Cottage, the colour of his shirt is maroon at best (I'd hate to say red!). I've never seen an explanation for it, I just accepted it was some sort of link to his Hearts days, but there's always been lingering doubt of some s***house kopite printers involvement. Who chose that photo we may never know, but the obvious choice should have been his soaring header against Spurs at the Street End".

I got Alex's signature in the book twice, Alan Ball, Tommy Wright, Gordon West and Colin Harvey who were all at the book's launch in Liverpool.

He will never be forgotten by us arl fellas.

Good evening all,

First of all fingers crossed your season turns around, you without doubt deserve much better.

I’m a huge Hearts man and really interested in the great players of the past especially Alex Young who comes from the same village Loanhead as my grandad did. Alex is up there with Dave Mackay and Willie Bauld as one our best ever and I wondered where he would fit into a top 10 Everton players? After being at a wedding with a few Evertonians they left me in no doubt he was a top, top player.

Also did Everton fans have any expectations of Alex when he moved south? And how would he get on in todays game?

All the best

Ray
HHGH
Cant compare todays so called game and not quite old enough to remember him properly. But in Everton history I think it would go.
Ball
Dean
Young

I had the absolute honour to meet Alex at his book signing in 2006 (I think) in Liverpool. I queued up for over an hour and he apologised to me for keeping me waiting! What a fantastic guy he was, modest, unassuming and generous with his time. He mentioned that goal against Manchester United, and said that he thought he "could play a bit." (an understatement of course). He was a brilliant player and a brilliant person as well. In many ways, I am glad he, Bally and many others are not around to see what has become of us.

I was at a Hearts supporters do quite a number of years ago in the Alex Young suite.
Alex was guest of honour. My old man who was from Edinburgh was a life long Hearts fan so it was great for him to meet Alex and have a good chat.
Fortunately for my dad he witnessed the great Hearts side of the 50’s & early 60’s which included Alex.
I’m actually very envious.

I remember meeting a couple of Everton supporters from Merseyside about 20 years ago that would go now and again to Tynecastle in Edinburgh to support Hearts. Hearts became their Scottish team because of Alex Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.