Alex Young - Heart of Midlothian and Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambo Ray

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
Good evening all,

First of all fingers crossed your season turns around, you without doubt deserve much better.

I’m a huge Hearts man and really interested in the great players of the past especially Alex Young who comes from the same village Loanhead as my grandad did. Alex is up there with Dave Mackay and Willie Bauld as one our best ever and I wondered where he would fit into a top 10 Everton players? After being at a wedding with a few Evertonians they left me in no doubt he was a top, top player.

Also did Everton fans have any expectations of Alex when he moved south? And how would he get on in todays game?

All the best

Ray
HHGH

My old man use to eulogise about 'The Golden Vision', still wildly recognised as one of our greatest ever.

However, to keep in with current Everton...

giphy.gif

….I was fortunate to see lots of Young. Remember, it was a very physical time to play football in the 60s & he wasn’t one to mix it so I actually think he’d be a global superstar today.

Talking about tough, i remember Dave McKay almost finishing Jimmy Husbands career with one ‘tackle’ at Goodison. He was a player, but he was a true hard man.

As kids growing up in the early 60's (& the older generations) Alex was idolised by everybody. He scored some sublime goals and was so cultured with ball control and ability. In partnership with him Roy Vernon was special as well. For a short period 66/68 we had Alex and Alan Ball who took over the mantle. Bally was an absolute dream, a player with an allround game, a winner! Both would be in my nucleus of an Everton squad, perhaps Bally would be on the team sheet first though out of every player I've seen in the Royal Blue.

When Alex passed away I intended to travel up to Edinburgh for the funeral but circumstances prevented my attendance.

Good evening all,

First of all fingers crossed your season turns around, you without doubt deserve much better.

I’m a huge Hearts man and really interested in the great players of the past especially Alex Young who comes from the same village Loanhead as my grandad did. Alex is up there with Dave Mackay and Willie Bauld as one our best ever and I wondered where he would fit into a top 10 Everton players? After being at a wedding with a few Evertonians they left me in no doubt he was a top, top player.

Also did Everton fans have any expectations of Alex when he moved south? And how would he get on in todays game?

All the best

Ray
HHGH
??

Status
Not open for further replies.