Alex Young - Heart of Midlothian and Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening all,

First of all fingers crossed your season turns around, you without doubt deserve much better.

I’m a huge Hearts man and really interested in the great players of the past especially Alex Young who comes from the same village Loanhead as my grandad did. Alex is up there with Dave Mackay and Willie Bauld as one our best ever and I wondered where he would fit into a top 10 Everton players? After being at a wedding with a few Evertonians they left me in no doubt he was a top, top player.

Also did Everton fans have any expectations of Alex when he moved south? And how would he get on in todays game?

All the best

Ray
HHGH
1580995492027-png.78444

Good evening all,

First of all fingers crossed your season turns around, you without doubt deserve much better.

I’m a huge Hearts man and really interested in the great players of the past especially Alex Young who comes from the same village Loanhead as my grandad did. Alex is up there with Dave Mackay and Willie Bauld as one our best ever and I wondered where he would fit into a top 10 Everton players? After being at a wedding with a few Evertonians they left me in no doubt he was a top, top player.

Also did Everton fans have any expectations of Alex when he moved south? And how would he get on in todays game?

All the best

Ray
HHGH
He'd be playing for City or Arsenal and be killing it week in week out

Of the players I have watched at Goodison, Alex comes second only to Alan Ball, as my favourite all time Everton player. Alex was more breathtakingly skillful than Bally, but, in terms of the whole package, Bally was unbeatable, you just knew you'd get 90 minutes of sweat toil and, more often than not, brilliance from Bally, whilst Alex was more inclined to drift in and out of games.

….I was fortunate to see lots of Young. Remember, it was a very physical time to play football in the 60s & he wasn’t one to mix it so I actually think he’d be a global superstar today.

Talking about tough, i remember Dave McKay almost finishing Jimmy Husbands career with one ‘tackle’ at Goodison. He was a player, but he was a true hard man.
Yes I remember that tackle (assault) Jimmy came down like a rag doll.

I was in Edinburgh over the weekend. On Saturday, I took an afternoon walking tour led by a very well-informed, entertaining and refreshingly honest guide (his line “the rich didn’t like living with the poor and did everything they could to get away from them” is as good an explanation of the building of the “new “ town as you’ll ever need). He was also a Hearts fanatic.

At the end of the walk, as I was adjusting my knee caps and looking for one of those sedans he'd mentioned earlier, he asked those of us who weren’t going into the castle if we had any questions. No, I replied, but many thanks for Alex Young. Cue broad smile and the instant recognition that he had just shaken hands with a supporter of the only team in the UK worse than Aberdeen.

All the best for rest of the season, Jambo.

The most idolised EFC player ever, imo - My older brother waited in a club where the EFC players were dining an age just to shake the GV hand - what a skillful small a no 9 not a traditional no 9 but in his day a one off - he glided over the muddy pitches he could leap in the air & hang there an unbelievable skill, & scored for fun -
- I saw him in his twilight years with Bally in the same side he wore the no 7 shirt then - he was just class somewhat inconsistent though due to blistered feet , but on his day a joy to watch ....

Good evening all,

All the best

Ray
HHGH
Ive got an Alex Young story, nearly 20 years ago i was in hospital, some old fella who was visiting someone else seen i had an Everton towel, he came over and asked me if id heard of Alex Young....yeah of course my dad was always talking about him..... this fella was telling me he used to go to Goodison in the 60's too watch him, but he wasnt an Everton supporter, he just wanted to watch Young, he was telling me when he left Everton he never went back to Goodison again, he was only going to see Young, not the team.
One of them rare players like Best or Messi perhaps that people would pay to watch, the individual not the club was the draw

Ive got an Alex Young story, nearly 20 years ago i was in hospital, some old fella who was visiting someone else seen i had an Everton towel, he came over and asked me if id heard of Alex Young....yeah of course my dad was always talking about him..... this fella was telling me he used to go to Goodison in the 60's too watch him, but he wasnt an Everton supporter, he just wanted to watch Young, he was telling me when he left Everton he never went back to Goodison again, he was only going to see Young, not the team.
One of them rare players like Best or Messi perhaps that people would pay to watch, the individual not the club was the draw
On his day an unbelievable player - his striking Partner Roy Vernon was brilliant too - they just clicked - 1963 when we won the title boy they were red hot - one - twos around the box etc they scored for fun - both internationals for Scotland & Wales respectively - our club could not afford players of the ilk now ....a joy to watch - The GV got the adulation, but Roy Vernon was no mug either alongside him .....

On his day an unbelievable player - his striking Partner Roy Vernon was brilliant too - they just clicked - 1963 when we won the title boy they were red hot - one - twos around the box etc they scored for fun - both internationals for Scotland & Wales respectively - our club could not afford players of the ilk now ....a joy to watch - The GV got the adulation, but Roy Vernon was no mug either alongside him .....
Roy was probably the most clinical finisher I ever saw.

….I was fortunate to see lots of Young. Remember, it was a very physical time to play football in the 60s & he wasn’t one to mix it so I actually think he’d be a global superstar today.

Talking about tough, i remember Dave McKay almost finishing Jimmy Husbands career with one ‘tackle’ at Goodison. He was a player, but he was a true hard man.
My old man reckoned it was the worst he'd ever seen and he was also at the battle of Goodison game v Leeds too!!never quite the same player Jimmy after that.?

My old man reckoned it was the worst he'd ever seen and he was also at the battle of Goodison game v Leeds too!!never quite the same player Jimmy after that.?

….I remember Husband in a crumpled heap but can only accept the views of others like your Dad regarding how bad it was. McKay was a barrel of a man & they were particularly hard back then, so if his body hit you with menace he would seriously do harm.

Going back to that Young goal, Ray Wilson starts the move by stopping the ball, looking up, taking a few steps back & then hitting it. He always did that, it’s my abiding memory of Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.