2021/22 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iwobi is one of those, you just want to do well, not just because the club have obviously paid a big fee for him, but because he has all the tools to do so.

Hes 6 ft, powerfully built, quick, strong but also have vision and an eye for a pass. The ingredients are there but he has shown precious little. That's a question for him really. I know you use the "playing the game like it matters" test and also the "fancy facing him off the bus test" and for too long hes been dismally short on those questions.

I played fullback for a time, and my approach was always to hit the winger hard in the 1st 5 minutes, and youd see the ones who really fancied it after that. About 50% wouldn't. They just wouldn't want the ball. Which for me was great, it was an easy afternoon. It sounds awful, but at that time I was quite clinical in my thoughts, it will leave me having an easy da half the time, so do it. I always got the sense Iwobi would fall into that category.

Today he looked a bit different to me though. There were a couple of moments when he went by Leeds players and just looked too big for them. The move to put DCL in was pure quality and we are all right to ask, where has that player, with that ability been hiding for all this time?

The last 2 games have probably been his best back to back games for the club. It's a low bar, but also a small crumb of comfort. I think he will be one who will benefit from structure but also an approach which is more focusses on getting the ball forward. Hes a player who probably needs to be challenged, and have the easy option of playing sideways removed.

Lets hope other clubs have only seen the last 2 games and put in a bid.

Lad gets a flogging no matter what it feels sometimes. Was doing some good stuff, yet our fans were still losing their minds.

Felt he was a constant threat and whilst two games certainly don’t make a season, hes showing enough that maybe Benitez system may actually suit him and I really really hope he succeeds to be perfectly honest, as I never want a player to fail.

Ive been impressed.
Constant threat is a bit of an exaggeration.

He had an average game at best

I would also like him to succeed, but has been no where near good enough, regardless of any system we play.

He's was decent for 75 minutes. So that makes 95 minutes of decent this season.

Decent is a far cry from what he's served up prior.

It kind of a big deal that he's been decent that long. Hope he can improve on decent. That would be a major coup.

Solid game from him. People still picking faults despite his influence in the last two games is exactly the reason why we don’t deserve nice things.
The problem is that for most of his time here he has really under performed. it will take more than two decent games to expunge the previous performances.
I hope he can prove his doubters wrong, but he has a long way to go.

The problem is that for most of his time here he has really under performed. it will take more than two decent games to expunge the previous performances.
I hope he can prove his doubters wrong, but he has a long way to go.
Yeah might be right but even yesterday when he was playing well some clowns were trying to say he wasn't, likewise last week when he was excellent some were in denial.
Iwobi is important for us, I can still seeing him seeing plenty of bench this season but there is a reason why players get a clean slate under a new manager , there is a player in Iwobi.

Yeah might be right but even yesterday when he was playing well some clowns were trying to say he wasn't, likewise last week when he was excellent some were in denial.
Iwobi is important for us, I can still seeing him seeing plenty of bench this season but there is a reason why players get a clean slate under a new manager , there is a player in Iwobi.
The Ancelotti style of play didn’t suit quite a lot of our squad.

It may be that this new style suits him better.

Thought he was fairly anonymous first half but did have a big role in second goal and should have had an assist there for DCL. Needs to work harder off the ball but is making things happen when he has it.
I’m with you , wasn’t really impressed first half but improved second .

Status
Not open for further replies.