2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness, I'm pretty sure that "the job" the poster was referring to was as back up to Richarlison.

So in essence you're agreeing with him ;)

Personally I'd rather see either Gordon or Nkounkou be given a chance there because I've been very impressed with what both have shown this season. But I do think Carlo will go with experience.
The problem is, Iwobi doesn't play like he's experienced

Iwobi has flashes and I think he is a very physical player. Replacing Richarlison is not going to be easy, but I hope I see the version I saw a few games ago in the cup (sorry, what do you call the cup?).

I am hoping he will finally step up today and make a difference.

But not sure.. especially when he plays on the left. I hope he gets in the box and lends Dom a hand.

I expect Gordon at 50 minutes to replace him.

Personally I think Iwobi is more suited to playing as part of midfield 3. I think he'll do a job on the wing but he's being judged by a lot of people playing out of position. I think Ancelotti likes him on the wing because he is more physical than Bernard and Gordon and at the minute we also have plenty of cover in midfield.

Iwobi has flashes and I think he is a very physical player. Replacing Richarlison is not going to be easy, but I hope I see the version I saw a few games ago in the cup (sorry, what do you call the cup?).
The Carabao(that's who sponsors it) It is really just the League cup.

Thought he was so poor last season, people have every right to express frustration at how he performed. Was such a disappointment, the team went backwards last season and as the third highest signing in our history was contributing nothing, I don’t find it in the least surprising that folk were getting on his back in a fan forum. This “how long before the first lazy shout” is utterly bizarre.

All that said, it’s a new season, with a functioning midfield and suspect all our attacking players now have the opportunity to showcase their skills and what they’re actually about, Iwobi included. I think we’ll see a better season from him this year, fingers crossed it starts on Sunday

Agree with first part. He wasnt some cheap as chips signing that you hope may come good at a small price. He was so bad it hurt watching him.
If he starts today our chances of winning drop.
Would love nothing more than around 4pm today he rams those words down my throat. But i can already see him switching off and letting players run off him leading to goals. Thats where i think over 90 mins he will be a liability.

Agree with first part. He wasnt some cheap as chips signing that you hope may come good at a small price. He was so bad it hurt watching him.
If he starts today our chances of winning drop.
Would love nothing more than around 4pm today he rams those words down my throat. But i can already see him switching off and letting players run off him leading to goals. Thats where i think over 90 mins he will be a liability.
To be fair, our chances of winning drop because Richarlison is peerless, not because it’s Iwobi replacing him. Same would be true if Carlo picks Gordon or Bernard but think he’ll go with Iwobi.

He’s shown some promise this season so let’s see how he gets on today - the key thing is there’s a solid midfield there now and this formation will suit him better than a 442, he’s definitely not a left midfielder.

You’re right in that defensive awareness is a weak part of his game and players run off him - not ideal having James on the other side who is similar. It’s maybe not quite such a liability as when we were playing the 442. Saints have very attacking fullbacks so might be an area they’ll try to exploit. At least there’s a midfield three now who should give a bit more cover, going to be a busy day for them. On the flip side, high fullbacks should mean there’s space for Iwobi to run at and advance the ball, which is one of his big strengths so it’ll be interesting.

To be fair, our chances of winning drop because Richarlison is peerless, not because it’s Iwobi replacing him. Same would be true if Carlo picks Gordon or Bernard but think he’ll go with Iwobi.

He’s shown some promise this season so let’s see how he gets on today - the key thing is there’s a solid midfield there now and this formation will suit him better than a 442, he’s definitely not a left midfielder.

You’re right in that defensive awareness is a weak part of his game and players run off him - not ideal having James on the other side who is similar. It’s maybe not quite such a liability as when we were playing the 442. Saints have very attacking fullbacks so might be an area they’ll try to exploit. At least there’s a midfield three now who should give a bit more cover, going to be a busy day for them. On the flip side, high fullbacks should mean there’s space for Iwobi to run at and advance the ball, which is one of his big strengths so it’ll be interesting.
I think if iwobi pays we have to rely a little more on the fllbacks pushing on to make space for hames and doucoure will have to take a risk and make more forward runs depending on how the game is panning out

Think he will replace Richarlison today as thats the position he played most for Arsenal. Think with better players around him now he will be fine. Doesnt offer the physicality or goal threat that Richarlison does but is intelligent in his play

Status
Not open for further replies.