2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put in a couple of absolute peaches today. Sure the last 2 crosses were bloody awful right at the time when we needed him to stick it on someone's head. But on another day we should be talking about a couple of assists.

Hit and miss for sure, looked abysmal defensively but at least he's looked dangerous at the other end.
This is exactly right. Dom hit the keeper and Richarlison watched one roll through the area. No player is creating 8 big chances a game. He's done good today.

I wouldn't mind playing him as a RW with James central and Richarlison left once Coleman is back. Or as the third player in midfield with Allan and Doucoure. I think he's in our best team though in some way.

Would have a load of assists but we keep spunking gilt edged chances as per.

Will be a different ball game at RB against Chelsea though. Hope Coleman is back.

This is exactly right. Dom hit the keeper and Richarlison watched one roll through the area. No player is creating 8 big chances a game. He's done good today.

I wouldn't mind playing him as a RW with James central and Richarlison left once Coleman is back. Or as the third player in midfield with Allan and Doucoure. I think he's in our best team though in some way.

Problem we have for whatever reason, as soon as we give him the RW spot he crawls back into his shell and looks absolutely crap again. Usually gets dragged off at half time.

Problem we have for whatever reason, as soon as we give him the RW spot he crawls back into his shell and looks absolutely crap again. Usually gets dragged off at half time.
I think it has to do with who is behind him. Coleman doesn't play balls inside so the only way he can get it is by having it down the line and then he gets pinned in by the fullback. Coleman isn't great at supporting wingers with forward passing.

I think it has to do with who is behind him. Coleman doesn't play balls inside so the only way he can get it is by having it down the line and then he gets pinned in by the fullback. Coleman isn't great at supporting wingers with forward passing.

But Coleman is naturally the best right back we have and I don't think Iwobi is good enough to dictate who we should be selecting behind him.

I don't think it matters who we play next week anyway, we'll get a good tonking against Chelsea imo. Once again we see an Everton side just simply not good enough for whatever reason.

I have resigned myself to an eternity of watching utter crap with my crumb of comfort being once in a while a quality player like Rodriguez will come along and showcase a bit of quality.

But Coleman is naturally the best right back we have and I don't think Iwobi is good enough to dictate who we should be selecting behind him.

I don't think it matters who we play next week, we'll get a good tonkijg against Chelsea
No doubt Coleman is the best but that's one of the reasons it is time to work on a replacement.

Personally his reasonable ability to defend at RWB makes me want to see him at the spot Gomes plays because I think he's at worst the same level of a player without the ball but I think his peak with the ball can be higher. He might not play the same long balls as Andre but his carrying and forward passing into James/Richarlison will more than make up for it.

No doubt Coleman is the best but that's one of the reasons it is time to work on a replacement.

Personally his reasonable ability to defend at RWB makes me want to see him at the spot Gomes plays because I think he's at worst the same level of a player without the ball but I think his peak with the ball can be higher. He might not play the same long balls as Andre but his carrying and forward passing into James/Richarlison will more than make up for it.

Totally agree I'd prefer to see him centrally mate, he can travel with the ball, has a through ball in him and has a shot on him.

Gomes done well today though imo, certainly a lot better than he has in a long time

He played well today Iwobi. Seems mjuch happier on the right. He will be a bit disappointed with the last couple of crosses, but he's been a really good outlet for us down the right.

I wonder if we give him a try one further forward, with maybe Holgate behidn him, and James getting a move inside.

He played well today Iwobi. Seems mjuch happier on the right. He will be a bit disappointed with the last couple of crosses, but he's been a really good outlet for us down the right.

I wonder if we give him a try one further forward, with maybe Holgate behidn him, and James getting a move inside.
We could try and get creative with it no doubt. I just don't want to see us play 3 at the back anymore. We don't understand how to position when set up that way. And Holgate for me isn't a true RB so that is problematic too. Hopefully Carlo can find the answers as he hasn't lately.

We could try and get creative with it no doubt. I just don't want to see us play 3 at the back anymore. We don't understand how to position when set up that way. And Holgate for me isn't a true RB so that is problematic too. Hopefully Carlo can find the answers as he hasn't lately.

We are going to be looking at a compromise whatever happens. When your first choice 4 fulbcks are injured you will always be in that position. We were more solid defensively today, it's a small improvement from a low bar but we will take what we can get currently. Of the last performances it was probably the best, and maybe the best performance post Liverpool.

Iwobi looks happier to me down the right. I'd keep him that side. The question will be, against better teams do we want him at full back or in a wide midfield position.

We are going to be looking at a compromise whatever happens. When your first choice 4 fulbcks are injured you will always be in that position. We were more solid defensively today, it's a small improvement from a low bar but we will take what we can get currently. Of the last performances it was probably the best, and maybe the best performance post Liverpool.

Iwobi looks happier to me down the right. I'd keep him that side. The question will be, against better teams do we want him at full back or in a wide midfield position.
I actually think Iwobi could be fine as a fullback if we had a true defensive midfielder. But as Allan has a tendency to rush out of position we can't really afford to have a shaky defender out there. Sort of how the RS do with Alexander-Arnold, who really doesn't defend, but have plenty of cover coming from the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.