2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was sat with the Arsenal fans for the game and all the comments regarding Iwobi were positive. The fans were all aware that I was a blue and all seemed in agreement that Iwobi would come good for us, a few guys mentioned they would rather had sold Ozil and a few others before Iwobi.

When he was subbed he got a huge standing ovation.

He does worry me when I see him play, but these guys have watched him for years and all seem to think he will in time become a good player. Will it be with us or another club i don't know. But, at the moment I can see why Everton fans are a little worried with the signing.

See, I get the complete opposite from Arsenal fans - mockery over fee etc. But then that is social media for you...

They were likely just being polite to you mate given you was sat with them for the game. I remember telling a Sunderland fan James McFadden could do a job for them lol

See, I get the complete opposite from Arsenal fans - mockery over fee etc. But then that is social media for you...

They were likely just being polite to you mate given you was sat with them for the game. I remember telling a Sunderland fan James McFadden could do a job for them lol

hahaha the Mcfadden comment made me laugh. Well two of the guys I know really well and they have no reason to be polite if anything they are bloody brutal.

iwobi was bought to play in a middle three with Gomes and Gbamin. His ball retention stats at Arsenal were very strong and he was clearly seen as the player who could move the ball forward positively from the middle. The problem is we never got to see that midfield together and now we don't play 4.3.3 so I'm not sure where he fits in long-term.

I was sat with the Arsenal fans for the game and all the comments regarding Iwobi were positive. The fans were all aware that I was a blue and all seemed in agreement that Iwobi would come good for us, a few guys mentioned they would rather had sold Ozil and a few others before Iwobi.

When he was subbed he got a huge standing ovation.

He does worry me when I see him play, but these guys have watched him for years and all seem to think he will in time become a good player. Will it be with us or another club i don't know. But, at the moment I can see why Everton fans are a little worried with the signing.

They're only saying it because some have a soft spot for him as 'one of their own'
None of them would take a refund on him in reality.

They're only saying it because some have a soft spot for him as 'one of their own'
None of them would take a refund on him in reality.
Exactly, it was applause out of pity for the shocking player he is. He wouldn't have wanted to leave Arsenal, but they will have told him in no uncertain terms, once our offer came in, that he's going. They must have thought we had our decimal point in the wrong place, because he's never a 30m player. Horrible signing.

Not sure if its just me but I sometimes notice him half hearted chasing back.
Almost like he's trying to show he's chasing back but with no real intent of getting back on the right side of their players who are running forward, chasing shadows almost. Its like he's hiding almost.
He's the kind that would frustrate the hard working players, he definitely doesn't leave it all on the pitch.
If only Iwobi was the only one at that, we’ve loads that do it, Morgan, Walcott, Davies these players constantly pull that crap. Third goal yesterday was an example of that type of mentality, loads back but no one actually truly involved. I’ve always thought don’t even run back unless you intend to actually pitch in, you’re just in the way otherwise

Exactly, it was applause out of pity for the shocking player he is. He wouldn't have wanted to leave Arsenal, but they will have told him in no uncertain terms, once our offer came in, that he's going. They must have thought we had our decimal point in the wrong place, because he's never a 30m player. Horrible signing.
The reports at the time were he chose to leave once the Pepe thing happened.

iwobi was bought to play in a middle three with Gomes and Gbamin. His ball retention stats at Arsenal were very strong and he was clearly seen as the player who could move the ball forward positively from the middle. The problem is we never got to see that midfield together and now we don't play 4.3.3 so I'm not sure where he fits in long-term.
Not sure that's true. The comments from both Brands and Silva when he signed suggested that they saw him predominantly as a wide player who could also play as a 10.

Couldn’t agree more. Carlo favours a 4-4-2 and I don’t see where Iwobi fits in. Likewise the same could be said for Siguardsson, he is a number 10 nothing more nothing less.

He’s really not very good and certainly not worth anything like what we paid. You won’t find a single gunner who would take him back and refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.