Confirmed Signing Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to Palace tomorrow and intend to cheer on the lads we play (which likely will not include many new lads in the starting XI) rather than moaning about the ones we don’t. I apologise in advance to anyone sitting near me who may take offence at such a ridiculously happy-clappy apologist approach. I maybe getting this fan stuff wrong but there you go, we can’t all be perfect.

As an Arsenal fan, I've mixed feelings on this deal. Iwobi's been a much maligned player over the past couple of seasons and some of our fans have been rejoicing at this news, but they're generally the same ones who wanted Ramsey sold for years and generally have no patience when it comes to young talent.

I think we've done well to receive a good fee for him but I think it's good business from Everton's part as well. There are definitely flaws in Iwobi's game - his finishing is inconsistent, and when he's having a bad day it does seem like nothing comes off for him - but he's a very technically gifted talent with plenty of room to grow. His end product is lacking but his link up play is superb; he's a very intelligent footballer I think in the right system, with good players around him, he can flourish.

I always got the impression that he had something of an imposter syndrome with us, and whilst on his day he didn't look out of place alongside the likes of Lacazette and Aubameyang, he would suffer from dips in confidence that he seemed to find difficult to shake. He's not as flashy as Zaha but you've got yourself a great talent with lots of potential, and I think in a new environment he can really push on and become a great player for Everton. I'd like to see him do well, if only to shut some of our own fans up.
Cheers mate.

I've found myself saying a few times over the last 24 hours that Arsenal fans are very similar to our own. We have a lot of fans who are exactly the same with our home grown talent. They want immediate results and have little or no patience to see them develop.

Alex, in fairness, looks a level above our own guys, and if you look on it as a straight swap in the squad for Ademola Lookman, which effectively it is, I'm confident that it will prove to be an excellent bit of business.

Headless chicken is exactly how I described him when the news first broke when we thought it was just to hurry along Zaha negotiations.

Whenever I've seen him I've always thought the ball looked like a hot potato whenever he had it.

Still, age on his side, I'm sure a more merciful Goodison will bring out the lads composure.......

My biggest concern, which Silva has already mentioned, is our need for players in that position to contribute more goals. We've went and brought someone in who just won't do that, IMO.

Someone made a comparison between Iwobi and Sterling on here. Sterling is one year older than Iwobi.

The question for you guys is can your manager/coaching staff do the same for Iwobi and bring a bit of composure to his game in front of goal.

With regards to the Arsenal fans especially at home, when a youngster breaks into the first team we desperately want him to succeed, and they get a lot more rope than some of the overseas players. We have Joe Willock, Reiss Nelson and Smith Rowe on the fringes of the first team, they get a great reception whenever they are involved. In the case of Reiss Nelson, I have seen enough potential to know if he carries on like this he will be in contention for an England call up within the next few years. A lot of that is dependant on getting a good run in the first team, but he is that good.

Iwobi was caught partying on the eve of an FA Cup 3rd round game with Nottingham Forest. The performance was one of the worst I have seen from an Arsenal side in the last 40 years of following them, Iwobi was awful. Players use up their goodwill in these situations when they have no respect for the club badge.

Feel a bit bad for the lad now.

He's constantly going to be measured against "what Zaha could/would have done" despite being a tidy player in his own right.

I like this signing and we've got a lot more than half the talent of Zaha for less than half the price.
Personally I'm the opposite, if he just came from Arsenal with nothing around him, I would of expected great things. Now having heard everyone moaning about signing him, I am fully braced to see a poor version of Bolasie.

Cheers mate.

I've found myself saying a few times over the last 24 hours that Arsenal fans are very similar to our own. We have a lot of fans who are exactly the same with our home grown talent. They want immediate results and have little or no patience to see them develop.

Alex, in fairness, looks a level above our own guys, and if you look on it as a straight swap in the squad for Ademola Lookman, which effectively it is, I'm confident that it will prove to be an excellent bit of business.

Have never agreed when people say this. Homegrown players get much more time and patience with fans, there is always a goodwill toward them.
People were exasperated with Sandro very quickly, and yet DCL (counting him as homegrown) was the next Harry Kane, despite being equally as poor.

....i’m not sure we targeted Neres and Lozano, that’s the most encouraging point for me. Neres and Lozano are lauded on here, and both are fine players but they were posters aspirational target’s. Players folk on here want to see.

Silva indicates he wanted a powerful and direct runner to fit his team model. Zaha and Iwobi are that type. I don’t believe Neres and Lozano are. As i’ve said throughout the window, it’s not about who we want, it’s about who Silva/Brands want to fit the way we play.

Strategy.
Nobody knows Lozano better than Brands, and he has consistently said that he either wasn't ready for the premier or that he is not good value for money.

I'm one of the ones who has been demanding we sign him, but you have to accept Brands decision on this. Arsenal have brought in Pepe and Watford Sarr. We need to see how long they take to adapt to the league before making judgment. At least we know Iwobi can do it in the Premier.

I’m actually genuinely surprised we didn’t go for Lorente (the spurs forward) - he was out of contract and gives that different option...

Tosun and niasse out & Llorente In would have been a perfect window IMO, discounting the CB situation.
Think he is finished if no-one has signed him up. Same as the likes of carroll, only newcastle really wanted him because his legs have gone already. However a years contract if we ship out niasse overseas won't be a terrible thing, not as a 20 goal a season striker but as a target man for our fast wingers to play off in the final minutes of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.