Confirmed Signing Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gargantuan upgrade on Ademola Lookman if nothing else.

He's not a ready-made top 4 player like Zaha, so is underwhelming in that respect, but is only 23, with time to improve. He'll give everything and I'm sure he'll help with our pressing game if nothing else.

My opinion on his ability is I've never seen much reason to rate the lad, personally, but also can't claim to have watched a whole lot of him. Always gave me the impression that he had no more of a clue what he was going to do next with the ball than the defender he was taking on, in one-on-ones. Also never been sure on his productivity and decision-making, though apparently there are stats which suggest he's not too bad in this dept.

I have to say that the reaction to this has meant I've never wanted a new signing to do well as much as I do Iwobi.

Are you happy with your business? Overall I think you’ve had a good window, but can’t believe you’ve got luiz as a means of improving your defence.

Yeah I'm really happy we're starting to show ambition again. I wish we could have signed a decent CB right now though but cant complain with Luiz for the fee. He's better than what we have tbh. Need to see how Holding does when he comes back and if he can crack on from last seasons form.
Why would Emery let such a talent leave the club? Given his age and how he has already contributed in the first team. Surely the coaching staff can see his potential?

Also, what is his attitude like on and off the field?

We're not financially as well of as some of the other teams and I'd even say you have more money to readily spend than us. I am guessing Emery knows its now and never as do the likes of Raul and Edu. They've probably thought the money received could be better put to either balance the books or buy someone i.e. a CB who can help us immediately. I think we might try for someone in Jan. We're also pretty stacked up front and we're not gonna sell either of Lacazette or Auba so that only leaves one position and it makes sense Pepe will occupy that. Iwobi is too good to be used as a rotation player IMO especially after the improvement he's been making every year and he probably realises he needs playing time as a starter to realise his potential.

We're not the Arsenal of old and I dont think we have the luxury of time to wait for players to come good especially with all the money just being spent. We're basically going for broke. I guarantee we would not have sold him if we didnt need the money or we could have moved on Mustafi or Elneny or Ozil. Iwobi did more for us than Ozil and Mkhi imo.

He's very level headed and seemed like he'd be great in the dressing room. Always seemed a happy and positive guy. On the field he'll give it his all but you can see he gets frustrated at himself too easily if he makes a mistake which I honestly think is one of the reasons his decision making can be hit and miss as he's always overthinking what he does when he's at that point. He'll do everything right to get to that point though but you can see he puts the onus too much on himself to ply the perfect pass or score the perfect goal. Our fans did give him a rough time so it's understandable so be patient with him.

I can say though that our fans like to moan but I can easily say most fans will be gutted to lose him.

Really good looking forward line but if we are letting in goals for fun doesn't really matter does it.

How many times didn't a side that finished in the top 4 last season win 1-0 or 2-1; tight matches such as those, especially away from home needs a good defensive line too.
Maybe with such an attacking forward line, our defenders can actually concentrate on defending.

Watched some YouTube clips now. Doesn't really look like a natural winger the way he moves but I like how he controls and passes the ball.

In some sequences where he's in a more central position he almost reminds me of Ever Banega, dare I say it, although I'm sure Iwobi is nowhere near Banega's vision at this point.

Could be a semi-flop, but hopefully he comes good at Everton, maximizing his potential.
Semi flop eh :blush:

He'll be full on erect after a couple of sessions with Andre.

Gargantuan upgrade on Ademola Lookman if nothing else.

He's not a ready-made top 4 player like Zaha, so is underwhelming in that respect, but is only 23, with time to improve. He'll give everything and I'm sure he'll help with our pressing game if nothing else.

My opinion on his ability is I've never seen much reason to rate the lad, personally, but also can't claim to have watched a whole lot of him. Always gave me the impression that he had no more of a clue what he was going to do next with the ball than the defender he was taking on, in one-on-ones. Also never been sure on his productivity and decision-making, though apparently there are stats which suggest he's not too bad in this dept.

I have to say that the reaction to this has meant I've never wanted a new signing to do well as much as I do Iwobi.
How long ago did you watch him? That describes him about 2 or 3 years ago. He really kicked on last season and was incredibly important to us in attack last season. Would always put balls into dangerous positions for the likes of Auba and Laca to score.

Our problem was a lack of goals across the front 3.

Iwobi doesn't solve that.

Had we peddled Walcott and had him as a back up squad player I would actually be happy with that, but swapping Bernard for Iwobi in the starting 11 if thats the plan is IMO is a waste of money.

Very confused by our transfer dealings this window Kean and Delph aside - not evem Gbamin is a direct replacement for Gana in terms of style and may even have to cover at CB due to our negligence in not bringing in a CB.

I want to be positive about everything we do, and im happy with out window.

BUT....Arsenal are one of the clubs we want to finish above, and we have just paid the most they have ever receives for a player....for a player the fans are made up is leaving.

I hope silva knows something we, Emery, and the arsenal fans dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.