Confirmed Signing Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said he wanted 5 players and we got 4: Gbamin, Kean, Sidibe and Iwobi. Just CB. Only one we missed out.
I'm pretty sure that Iwobi hasn't been bought as a wide player I think he is likely to be that 'middle zone' player that Silva was weirdly chatting about the other day. Particularly as we apparently wanted Zaha and Iwobi, not either or. If that is the case then Silva didn't get a wide man or a centre half. The centre half is the bigger issue for sure, but Iwobi seems far more effective in a central position than out wide and is probably competition for Gylfi rather than Richarlison, Bernard or [shudder] Walcott. Yes, he can play there but if he does and doesn't perform he will feel the wrath of the boo boys, which is no good for anyone.

I seriously hope Iwobi never reads this forum, or Twitter, or any other social media outlet where Evertonians are writing him off. Completely writing him off. Unacceptable really. Can we PLEASE get behind this lad. Give him a chance? Otherwise, his confidence will be shot before he's even started.
I just think the fanbase are disappointed that we didn’t get zaha. He was the game changer in us breaking into the top 6 imo. Iwobi is bound to be a disappointment when comparing him to zaha, but the fans will get behind him, as they will all our players to try allow them to bed in.

Its been good of late, I started as a blue as a child in 94, but cast offs from team 'above' us is unacceptable now. Not interested in Iwobi.

To be fair, Iwobi was not for sale, if he was, he'd be going for a lot less than 40mil. He w classed as a prospect at Arsenal and rightly so, since he's still only 23. I wouldn't put him in the bracket of cast off.

He said he wanted 5 players and we got 4: Gbamin, Kean, Sidibe and Iwobi. Just CB. Only one we missed out.

Well the list included a left footed right winger. An extra Cm was always gonna be a bonus. Iwobi can play both wing and in the middle so he will hopefully be useful

Iwobi is NOT plan B to Zaha. Totally different players.

I think he’ll prove to be a good signing. 23, quick, tricky, holds & carries the ball really well.

Good signing
I said yesterday that I think he's seen as a future 8 in a 4-3-3 but he'll probably play off the left this season if we continue the 4-2-3-1.

Marco said he wanted an extra CM and CB so possibly two missing out. The extra CM is not essential but the CB is.
I don’t think we were really after another CM unless Schneiderlin was moved on.
The CB is an issue, but with Rojo, they were looking short term. It may in the end be a good thing to give yoof a chance. There seem to be no opportunities in this team anymore.

I'm pretty sure that Iwobi hasn't been bought as a wide player I think he is likely to be that 'middle zone' player that Silva was weirdly chatting about the other day. Particularly as we apparently wanted Zaha and Iwobi, not either or. If that is the case then Silva didn't get a wide man or a centre half. The centre half is the bigger issue for sure, but Iwobi seems far more effective in a central position than out wide and is probably competition for Gylfi rather than Richarlison, Bernard or [shudder] Walcott. Yes, he can play there but if he does and doesn't perform he will feel the wrath of the boo boys, which is no good for anyone.
I think the logic that we wanted both kind of went away when Joyce said our last bid for Zaha was July 28. Iwobi appears to have been who we moved on to and although I do think he could play centrally I think he is a wide player for this season. Maybe when we get another winger he can move inside.

Seriously, why the bed wetting? We had a brilliant window. Iwobi knows the league and will hit the ground running. He isn't Zaha, but Bernard and Richarlison are quality first choice. We didn't replace a loan CB in Zouma, but Mina and Keane were supposed to be first choice last season anyway. Holgate is and England U21 with good experience. Gbamin can fill in if necessary and we have Gibson. We'll be fine. We'll done Marcel. 'A' from me.

If any of us knew what Brands and Silva knew then we’d have their jobs.

As it stands, they have their jobs so I defer to their judgement. Welcome Alex.

I just think the fanbase are disappointed that we didn’t get zaha. He was the game changer in us breaking into the top 6 imo. Iwobi is bound to be a disappointment when comparing him to zaha, but the fans will get behind him, as they will all our players to try allow them to bed in.

Very true. I must admit I thought Zaha was nailed on and I’m still disappointed we haven’t managed to sign him. I’m happy with Iwobi but still feel a bit disappointed overall.

To be fair, Iwobi was not for sale, if he was, he'd be going for a lot less than 40mil. He w classed as a prospect at Arsenal and rightly so, since he's still only 23. I wouldn't put him in the bracket of cast off.
He was a lot less than 40 mill, 28 mill in fact

It's not just the fact we've signed Iwobi - as bad as I personally feel he is. It's that we failed on several targets and didn't get the numbers/positions the manager wanted.

Brands failed. There's no sugar coating it. Sure, it's not a disaster, and signings like Kean and Gomes are inspired for the cost and could be masterful transfers in the long run, but he failed overall. We missed an opportunity to have a serious go at qualifying for Europe.
He hasn’t failed, he’s done as well as could be expected given the restrictions he’s likely had to work to.

My guess is Moshiri gave him a budget to work with as well as a mandate to offload as many as he felt necessary and the simple fact of the matter is he’s brought four players in with a number going out but...

The expensive and costly mistakes are still here - Mirallas, Niasse, Ramirez, Schneiderlin and Bolasie - because quite frankly, nobody wants them... certainly not on the wages they want to maintain and probably not at any price in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.