Status
Not open for further replies.
Pienaar's first spell at Everton:
28 games 2 goals
28 games 2 goals
30 games 4 goals
18 games 1 goal

Yeah but we now have Bernard and him.

I love Bernard but I was thinking we were going to add actual goals from out wide.

Ignore me the stat nerds say he’s good so that’s it.

The few times I have watched arsenal he was sub . But when he come on the team seemed to spark into life. I hope he will be a decent signing as he has obvious potential. If confidence is his issue then we need to ensure he Is given support.
This is very true. He often did well when we needed an injection of pace and some skilful dribbling in the attack, as we so often looked stale going forward last season. When he's on for he's great to watch.

....Silva says he was one of our ‘main targets’, he then goes on to say he’s a ‘direct & skilful winger who fits exactly the profile of player I want in my team model’.

This suggests to me the he and Brands agree the ‘type’ of player they want and Brands goes out, identifies and acquires them. So the key target was a ‘direct & skilful winger’, probably a ball carrier who helps us counter-attack, especially away from home.

So yes, he was a key target.
Fair enough @Eggs. He fits the mould of the player they were after, but I’ll reiterate my original point. Why leave it so late in the window? It’s not like arsenal signed any other players in his position in the last week and he sudddenly became available. Your right he meets the profile of what we need, let’s hope he develops here as he obviously has some talent.

....i’m not sure we targeted Neres and Lozano, that’s the most encouraging point for me. Neres and Lozano are lauded on here, and both are fine players but they were posters aspirational target’s. Players folk on here want to see.

Silva indicates he wanted a powerful and direct runner to fit his team model. Zaha and Iwobi are that type. I don’t believe Neres and Lozano are. As i’ve said throughout the window, it’s not about who we want, it’s about who Silva/Brands want to fit the way we play.

Strategy.

Eggs you get it. You know your footie. You also get realism.

Personally the wild fees out there for Zaha vs this one sit quite nice for me. The young man is a talent.

Not saying that but I am baffled as to why we signed someone who doesn’t score goals when neither does Bernard nor does that useless winger we got from Arsenal

I thought the manager likes wingers who scored goals though? If he did he wouldn't be signing the likes of Bernard and Iwobi would we?

Not saying that but I am baffled as to why we signed someone who doesn’t score goals when neither does Bernard nor does that useless winger we got from Arsenal

Yeah that's fair. Which is why I think we wanted Iwobi and Zaha. Iwobi could be a good signing but we still do look short of goals.

As an Arsenal fan, I've mixed feelings on this deal. Iwobi's been a much maligned player over the past couple of seasons and some of our fans have been rejoicing at this news, but they're generally the same ones who wanted Ramsey sold for years and generally have no patience when it comes to young talent.

I think we've done well to receive a good fee for him but I think it's good business from Everton's part as well. There are definitely flaws in Iwobi's game - his finishing is inconsistent, and when he's having a bad day it does seem like nothing comes off for him - but he's a very technically gifted talent with plenty of room to grow. His end product is lacking but his link up play is superb; he's a very intelligent footballer I think in the right system, with good players around him, he can flourish.

I always got the impression that he had something of an imposter syndrome with us, and whilst on his day he didn't look out of place alongside the likes of Lacazette and Aubameyang, he would suffer from dips in confidence that he seemed to find difficult to shake. He's not as flashy as Zaha but you've got yourself a great talent with lots of potential, and I think in a new environment he can really push on and become a great player for Everton. I'd like to see him do well, if only to shut some of our own fans up.
Nice to hear a level-headed opinion from someone who's watched him play. An Arsenal supporting mate of mine says similar to you, that perhaps a different environment is all he needs. He's still only young and will be given time... well, at least 10 mins ...at Everton to convince the doubters.
Will offer more than Lookman did, so an improvement for me straight away.
Thanks for posting

Nice to hear a level-headed opinion from someone who's watched him play. An Arsenal supporting mate of mine says similar to you, that perhaps a different environment is all he needs. He's still only young and will be given time... well, at least 10 mins ...at Everton to convince the doubters.
Will offer more than Lookman did, so an improvement for me straight away.
Thanks for posting
My pleasure. Spent years defending the boy from some of our fans who always need a scapegoat. It was Giroud, then Iwobi, and now it seems to be Maitland-Niles.

I hope Iwobi's appreciated here.

Status
Not open for further replies.