Alan Ball as a manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Staff member
Was thinking before, as the only holy trinity member not to manage Everton, how do you think he’d have done bearing in mind he was a PL manager for a time?

Was thinking before, as the only holy trinity member not to manage Everton, how do you think he’d have done bearing in mind he was a PL manager for a time?

Memory is hazy, but like tons of terrific players, he didnt really do much as a Manager iirc. Not sure if he was ours it would be any different.

....I remember him saying he was giving team talks and he could see the modern players didn’t have the desire he had. He couldn’t understand that. I have no idea how he would’ve fared at Everton, but I think he’d have loved the passion and professionalism of the ‘85 team.

He talked about getting the sack and said he saw the replacement manager at the training ground before he was given the news. He wasn’t annoyed about getting the sack but he couldn’t understand the values of the man who replaced him.

Great player and a fine man.

In his book he seemed to be amazed with the demands and needs of the modern player, and that was back in his Southampton, Portsmouth days, the 90.

I don't think he'd be able to tolerate the current bunch.

Like all truly great players, he couldn't understand why the players he was managing couldn't do what he asked them to do.
It came naturally to him, yes he worked hard at his game, but, he had a level of ability that could not be coached into average players.

Nobody could argue the merits of Bally as a footballer, as a manager he earned plenty but achieved very little, apart from one promotion at Portsmouth. At Stoke he spent plenty but was sacked before they were relegated at the end of that season.He struggled with Exeter in the third division. He did a little better at Southampton, mainly saving them from relegation before being tempted to Man. City by his friend Francis Lee where he promptly got them relegated and resigned three games into the next season. He finished his managerial career back at Portsmouth but lasted less than two seasons there.

Status
Not open for further replies.