AJ goal should have stood

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDevils2001

Player Valuation: £15m
Link : http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...nson-s-goal-should-have-stood-64375-20435292/

Mark Lawrenson: Andy Johnson’s goal should have stood
Feb 5 2008 by Richard Williamson, Liverpool Daily Post

WE COULD fill the paper with a discussion about the offside law.

But one thing is clear – Andrew Johnson scored a perfectly good goal against Blackburn.

At one point the Everton striker was offside, but he ran back to put himself onside again.

A new passage of play ensued, as James Vaughan chased down the ball with home keeper Brad Friedel and when the ball reached Johnson to score he was onside.

The officials got it wrong – on a number of occasions in this particular match.

David Dunn was guilty of a blatant hand ball – and under the rules of the game should have gone for a second bookable offence. Moments later he pops up on the line to clear the ball from a corner.

And Zurab Khizanishvili virtually cuts Johnson in half but the stonewall penalty is not awarded.

One of the frustrating aspects is that match officials do not come out and explain their decisions.

Supporters – not to mention players and managers – would have a lot more respect for them if they explained why they gave a particular decision.

If the officials talked through what they saw and it proved to be a honest mistake, it would be seen in a completely different light.

In this case Everton fans and officials do not know what kind of view Alan Wiley – and his linesman – had of the play.

To be fair, given the complications of the offside law today, running the line has become virtually an impossible job.

I don’t think it is scientifically possible to be watching where the ball is being kicked and tracking the movement of the players off the ball all at the same time.

But in the same way as the football authorities continue to prevaricate over goal-line technology to show whether the ball has crossed the line or not, I can’t see the offside law being changed unless there is a major decision that goes horribly wrong at a prestige event like Euro 2008.

If they get through that tournament unscathed, the rule makers will be tempted to let confusion continue to reign!

I am glad someone has come out and say it was a goal.

Was he held at gun point? lol i was surprised all those on MOTD agreed aswell about the decisions being crazy.

Thats upto you, When i come home from Goodison every week, if we've gained a point or three i will watch MOTD or Football First as half of the things i can't see in the Top Balcony and also i like to see a replay of the goals etc.

I have all the matches we play that are on Tv recorded and even sat through the semi-final the night after we lost and watched it again to just see the game again and what went wrong.

Thats upto you, When i come home from Goodison every week, if we've gained a point or three i will watch MOTD or Football First as half of the things i can't see in the Top Balcony and also i like to see a replay of the goals etc.

I have all the matches we play that are on Tv recorded and even sat through the semi-final the night after we lost and watched it again to just see the game again and what went wrong.

I used to do that but the form we showed in those days meant there were far too many defeats so I gave up;)

England is the only country in the world which could interperate this as offside. If the league followed teh official Fifa rules on offside there would be no confusion, and the goal would have stood. stupid poms trying to be diferent.

England is the only country in the world which could interperate this as offside. If the league followed teh official Fifa rules on offside there would be no confusion, and the goal would have stood. stupid poms trying to be diferent.

Correction, stupid pom refs trying to be different:D

You should get a job at the club... theres always jobs for ppl who like to go thruogh games analysing the play, be it their own team's or the opposition's

I heard there is an assistant managers job at goodison currently empty, get your name down quick. lol

No way would I sit there and watch a match we'd just lost again to see what went wrong...I'll just blame Moyes like the rest of that TW rabble. ;)

I couldn't watch it the monontonous chanting of "Chelsea....Chelsea....Chelsea" did my head in... How is our songs the worst when that is all they sang all the way through that game.

I watched in disbelief at our wonderful atmosphere and why i could hear chants i could even hear at the game from their poxy turnout.

Status
Not open for further replies.