Match Thread AFC Bournemouth v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? So if we continue to be knocked out of cup competitions in early rounds by the likes of Millwall we should politely clap the team off the pitch cheerfully chanting “hard luck, chaps”?

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. You can be fortunate in that you don’t have to prepare hard if you have a run of easy opponents but you don’t win even cup competitions by doing nothing but carry 4 leaf clovers in your socks and hanging a horse shoe over your dressing room.

Allow me to explain.

Our last 3 semi-final/final opponents - Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea

Liverpools last few cup final opponents - Spurs, West Ham, Cardiff, AC Milan (corrupt), Birmingham, Alaves

Examples of the 'luck' I mentioned - Sterling carrying the ball almost out of the stadium when we were 3-1 up on aggregate, goal stands. 75 ricochets off shins in to Martial's path after 93 mins, goal. Jags, Arteta and Yakubu all out for cup final, our 3 best players at the time. The luck we get is horrendous.

Allow me to explain.

Our last 3 semi-final/final opponents - Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea

Liverpools last few cup final opponents - Spurs, West Ham, Cardiff, AC Milan (corrupt), Birmingham, Alaves

Examples of the 'luck' I mentioned - Sterling carrying the ball almost out of the stadium when we were 3-1 up on aggregate, goal stands. 75 ricochets off shins in to Martial's path after 93 mins, goal. Jags, Arteta and Yakubu all out for cup final, our 3 best players at the time. The luck we get is horrendous.

Hmm. Not sure I want to excuse the club's lack of success over the years by insisting we’ve just been unlucky. We’ve been poor for most of those years. We bottled the big games.

But we seem to have started to get our act together now. Hopefully that key winning ingredient - a strong mentality - will seep into the side because we actually look at the mentality of players we recruit. Hopefully we won’t freeze with fear because we have a United or City opponent in a cup round because the players believe they can actually beat these teams and the result isn’t pre-ordained by “luck”. Hopefully we won’t bow our heads because key players are missing a match because the players are instilled with a mentality that the system works no matter who steps in.

I think bring all those factors into the equation and suddenly we’re not so perennially “unlucky anymore.

No such thing as 'Champions of Europe'. You cant be champions of a cup competition.

Wigan won the FA Cup, Liverpool won the Champions League. Anyone can win a cup competition with a bit of luck.
I thought I was bitter!!
Let's acknowledge that the current Liverpool team is excellent and the management is highly effective. Thank God city are around because I don't see anyone else topping them in the pl.
To win the cl they had to get through a group first and then best a series of top teams. It's not quite like winning the fa cup. I just hope they lose their best players and recruit badly. Soon.

Good that this is Sunday as Richarlison and Mina will both be getting back extremely late from their friendlies tonight.

Richarlison is already looking tired, but have we got enough in the squad to rest him on Sunday? we cant rest Mina though.

Bournemouth also have Jefferson Lerma playing for Colombia, and playing tonight in Europe they have Mark Travers, Gavin Kilkenny, Callum Wilson and Aaron Ramsdale.

While tonight we have Alex Iwobi for Nigera in the Ukraine, also playing around Europe later is Tosun, Sigurdsson, Pickford, Keane, Lucas, Coleman, Moise Kean and Davies

Richarlison is already looking tired, but have we got enough in the squad to rest him on Sunday? we cant rest Mina though.

Bournemouth also have Jefferson Lerma playing for Colombia, and playing tonight in Europe they have Mark Travers, Gavin Kilkenny, Callum Wilson and Aaron Ramsdale.

While tonight we have Alex Iwobi for Nigera in the Ukraine, also playing around Europe later is Tosun, Sigurdsson, Pickford, Keane, Lucas, Coleman, Moise Kean and Davies
I highlighted Richarlison and Mina specifically because they are playing in the US at 2 and 4 UK time. But yes there are others in action who won't be well rested.

I thought I was bitter!!
Let's acknowledge that the current Liverpool team is excellent and the management is highly effective. Thank God city are around because I don't see anyone else topping them in the pl.
To win the cl they had to get through a group first and then best a series of top teams. It's not quite like winning the fa cup. I just hope they lose their best players and recruit badly. Soon.

Yes, very bitter.

An injury to a key player would be nice too, cant remember the last time that happened. Horrible gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.