Academy Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just English players through the academy.

Would be interesting to benchmark last 5 years vs rest of the league.

Today's opposition have been through loads of managers but look at the youngsters they have...

Would any of those youngsters be getting in that Chelsea side if they didn't have a transfer ban? Without a transfer ban I doubt very much they'd have their current manager let alone any of those youngsters playing.

Perhaps the most telling statistic is that in his 18 months tenure Silva didn’t promote one single U23s player to make his first start in the PL for us. Which ever way you look at it , Silva’s fault or we have a crap Academy , it’s probably the most barren spell in our recent history. It’s something Brands should be addressing if he really believes our Academy is failing.

Do any British clubs bring through top quality in any number?

An ex pro told me real footy skill is learned on the streets hence the influx of players from poor countries (Africa, South America etc) where such games still occur. His point of an ever shrinking talent pot in the UK is as relevant today as it was 25 yrs ago when he said it.

Just heard this on BT Sport from Jake Humphrey and Joe Cole;

"2 players in 5 years from the academy have got in this team. That's dreadful from a club in this city. It stinks of short term planning"

Two things then, is this correct?

And given the success of the academy in winning their leagues etc, what's going wrong?

You say that’s dreadful for a team in this City. Maybe the level of talent in the city has dipped a bit. Not like Liverpool have a squad full of academy talent.

Do any British clubs bring through top quality in any number?

An ex pro told me real footy skill is learned on the streets hence the influx of players from poor countries (Africa, South America etc) where such games still occur. His point of an ever shrinking talent pot in the UK is as relevant today as it was 25 yrs ago when he said it.
It took a while for British academies to make the transition from targeting early developers - lads that are bigger, faster and stronger than than their peers as kids/teens, but struggle without those advantages as adults - to nurturing players who can look after the ball, but I think we're more or less there now. You see it with the current England team, which has many more technically gifted players than is typically produced in a single generation.

Unfortunately, Everton seem to have a lot catching up to do in this regard, but then why change the habit of three decades?

Contrary to what Allardyce says, he knows he was always interim with Silva coming in.

So your view is the academy players are good enough, but managers won't risk them?

As simple as that?

2 players in 5 years?

You have to look at the whole situation - it's not "We don't have an environment where it's okay to take risks in playing youngsters"

There's nothing unique about Everton over the last 5 years vs most clubs - in fact, I'd argue we've had more opportunity than most to 'risk' youngsters.

I am inclined to disagree massively on your final point.

Manager turnover, rising expectations, boardroom changes and expectations - I dont believe we have ever had an opportunity where we could comfortably risk youngsters in the last five years. To me, this isnt one game. Its a period of months where individual players can come in and earn the chance to take the jersey off the senior counterpart.

Tosun/Walcott/Niasse - purchases in a winter window. Do we really not have anything in the academy who can get the chance they got?

How is it we are relying on Siggy and Schneiderlin to be our two centre mid's at the moment. Siggy - dreadfully off form, slow and beginning to show his defencies. Schneiderlin - despite an immense display on Sat, he was literally being touted all over Europe in the summer.

Do we really not have someone in the youth/reserves who can have an opportunity that they have got right now?

Course we have; but we really havent ever been in a position where we can comfortably blood one or two and let them sink or swim.

The pathway from academy under 12's to the first team has never been so wide/diluted at the club.

It took a while for British academies to make the transition from targeting early developers - lads that are bigger, faster and stronger than than their peers as kids/teens, but struggle without those advantages as adults - to nurturing players who can look after the ball, but I think we're more or less there now. You see it with the current England team, which has many more technically gifted players than is typically produced in a single generation.

Unfortunately, Everton seem to have a lot catching up to do in this regard, but then why change the habit of three decades?
Don't know how old you are, mate, but the standard of English footballer has been in decline since the 70s and this present bunch are as bad as anything I've seen.The illusion England are better largely comes from a decent showing in the world club amidst some of the worst international teams I've ever seen. Raheem Sterling one of our top performers barely has control of the ball when he runs with it

Under Allardyce, an Silva last season - the run in represented plenty of opportunity.

We had a number of 'dead rubber' games.

There's also the bench - give lads a chance in odd games when winning etc.

Dead rubber games.

Your Silva/Allardyce - you seriously think those games are dead rubber when you see how quick a fanbase like ours reacts?

Are other academy's rubbish?
How many world class English players are there?
I know this is a day+ later, but look at Chelsea. Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham, Hudson-Odoi, Tomori. Maybe they didn't come through the academy per se but they were bought young and they are reaping the rewards now.

Our U23 set up does nothing but "win" medals and our youngsters are completely unprepared for the Premier League.

What do you mean failure?
We must produce ond player in 50 years like Wayne Rooney or one player in 10 years like Ross Barkley?
Or you count on how many players who can have a career as professional footballer no matter league they are playing?
You can not coach them to be great :hayee:

YTS system was better than the Academies. Now it’s just a load of pampered, spoiled brats. There are, of course, exceptions, but that seems to be the general rule.

Not just English players through the academy.

Would be interesting to benchmark last 5 years vs rest of the league.

Today's opposition have been through loads of managers but look at the youngsters they have...
I agree with most of what you are saying, but before the transfer ban, they were all loaned out, it’ll be interesting to see what happens with them next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.