2022/23 Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's always been really active on social media.. until recently, I've noticed (and that's even when he's not been playing). Think he knows his days as a starter are now numbered.

Imagine going from being considered our stand out midfielder in Jan 2022 to being, what... 5th or 6th choice?

must be tough on the lad. Needs to step up of move on.

Playing for his last professional contract. I would imagine he'll elevate enough to get some minutes.

We're in a vastly superior bargaining position than we were a few months ago. If Lampard/Thelwell choose to extend or pick up the option, we'll know they rate him. If not, then they see his roster spot as a potential upgrade.

Not one of our major worries right now (forward, permanent CB and permanent reserve LB and RB would seem higher priorities), so it wouldn't shock me to see us pick up the option, then run it out. It's a sign of progress that a long-time Prem starter has been pushed to our bench when everyone is healthy. It means we won't be asking, "Who would the manager put on from this bench?" when the time for substitutions rolls around.

Teams can use 16 players now in any game.

I think the introduction of the 5 sub rule means that squads may need to increase further in size.

Doucoure may no longer be a player that will expect to start every game, but he will start a number of them and is certainly more than a useful member of the squad.

Players will be rotated , I think some are fixated on our first 11 as if we were still in the 70's.

@Neiler : Yep. As it stands, Doucoure's contract ends in Summer 2023... In financial terms we risk losing him for nothing if we don't activate the option soon.

If we extend him by a year we can look to get a modest fee for him in the summer. It's a means of bringing in a few million towards his replacement.

As an option from the bench he is fine at the moment . We have gone from gomes , siggy and davies as our cm to having douc as our option from the bench, that’s a massive improvement

….there’s little doubt he’s dropping down the pecking order but I actually get the impression Lampard likes his energy and running power. He has powers of recovery and has always been more about what he does without the ball than with it.

We’ll know more about his ranking in the pecking order when we see more of Garner.

I just see him as a saleable asset whose loss doesn't impact the starting 11, whose going down the pecking order and isn't a younger player whose gonna push on, and who in terms of squad depth his value to sell outweighs the need to keep

Status
Not open for further replies.