2020/21 Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way we use Doucoure is really weird, He's pretty much covering so James can have a free role which is fair enough, surely you could have bought a more suited player for it? Doucoure does a bit of both he likes to try and break up play and get forward right next to the striker but we don't let him do that, Maybe JPG is more suited to it.

Some absolute bobbins talked in here, very similar to the Allan thread - I don't get it. I can understand frustration, but jeez, some writing the guy off already?!? Bloody hell, perspective please.

He's played less than 10 games for us, on occasions in a patched up side, and has nowhere near been our worst player - he deserves much better from us as a fanbase, as does Allan.

Yes, he could and should have scored a couple yesterday, but at least he's gotten into those positions, is trying to affect play in attack and tackle and win the ball back in defence/transition, whilst carrying the invisible shithouse alongside him through games.

Let's get behind him and the team for god's sake.

Stumbled upon an interesting article about AD. It has some interesting points (Even though it's a couple of years old - which really makes it even more interesting)

"There’s enough evidence to suggest that Doucoure is more or less an average PL player that has an inflated reputation that can be attributed to his goal scoring. While his positioning can be erratic, he does make nice runs forward which can help an attack. In addition to that, his work defensively in terms of pressure on-ball is legit. On the other hand, his play during possession is uninspiring, and his shooting in the grand scheme of things can be chalked up to variance more than something that’s sustainable moving forward. Combine that with the fact he doesn’t provide nearly enough equity in terms of driving play from deeper areas of the pitch (Tanguy Ndombele from Lyon is someone who does provide that dimension) to compensate for other possible deficiencies in his game, and it’s hard to come up with an argument other than Doucoure is a player who at around the level of where his talents suggest he should be. There’s nothing wrong with being an average player, but if we’re talking about the best of the best, Doucoure falls short of that standard."

:oops:

"There’s enough evidence to suggest that Doucoure is more or less an average PL player that has an inflated reputation that can be attributed to his goal scoring. While his positioning can be erratic, he does make nice runs forward which can help an attack. In addition to that, his work defensively in terms of pressure on-ball is legit. On the other hand, his play during possession is uninspiring, and his shooting in the grand scheme of things can be chalked up to variance more than something that’s sustainable moving forward. Combine that with the fact he doesn’t provide nearly enough equity in terms of driving play from deeper areas of the pitch (Tanguy Ndombele from Lyon is someone who does provide that dimension) to compensate for other possible deficiencies in his game, and it’s hard to come up with an argument other than Doucoure is a player who at around the level of where his talents suggest he should be. There’s nothing wrong with being an average player, but if we’re talking about the best of the best, Doucoure falls short of that standard."

:oops:
I mean I thought we all knew that and didn’t have a great deal of expectation on him anyway didn’t we?

I mean I thought we all knew that and didn’t have a great deal of expectation on him anyway didn’t we?
I think a lot of people have been suggesting that he's underperformed, and that there's more to come. This sort of backs up the idea that that isn't really the case, and what we've seen so far is exactly what we'll continue to see for the most part.

I think a lot of people have been suggesting that he's underperformed, and that there's more to come. This sort of backs up the idea that that isn't really the case, and what we've seen so far is exactly what we'll continue to see for the most part.
Personally, I expected the 1 in 10 player Watford fans promised to be more of a 1 in 5 player for us who would add to the midfield unit as a bit of a ball carrier and physical presence. I never bought into the goal scoring stuff as I swear that was all based on a single good goal he scored. A PL level player who had a purple patch a few years ago and can contribute to Everton a bit would be my (worthless) assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.