Homepage Update: A problem like Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed up to GOT yesterday, so i'm only new! This is excellent! The community is very supportive of your writing as well. As i'm a journo, I am guttered that I have only just discovered G.O.T, and persisted with writing pieces on reddit for the last few years.

All of this is 10/10. 10 for your writing and insight, and 10 to the community for the feedback. ;)

Signed up to GOT yesterday, so i'm only new! This is excellent! The community is very supportive of your writing as well. As i'm a journo, I am guttered that I have only just discovered G.O.T, and persisted with writing pieces on reddit for the last few years.

All of this is 10/10. 10 for your writing and insight, and 10 to the community for the feedback. ;)

Thanks mate. It's a fantastic place to write and @GrandOldTeam is very positive and supportive of different writers (as well giving full editorial control). I would strongly urge you pop your articles our way as opposed to sites like reddit, and I am happy to PM you some information on this if you fancy it?

...gutted

Thanks for all the comments on this thread. I'm happy for it to be merged into the wider Barkley thread if the mods deem appropriate as much of the discussion seems to overlap, or keep it as a thread in it's own right.

On a couple of the points raised, I agree with @davek that Barkley is not between two stools but he is a creative midfielder. I suppose the difficulty is that he hasn't as yet done it consistently. He played Central midfield against Chelsea at home in a 3-0 defeat, away to Liverpool in a 3-1 defeat and on one or two other occasions. It's harsh to pin the blame centrally on him but it's not unfair to say that he hasn't excelled as he can in that position when given a chance. As a result Koeman has pushed him forward but he looks out of place in that role to me.

It's difficult and I know I am being unduly harsh on him when I say the above. However that is because he can be the best midfield player in the Premier League and that is the standard he needs to get to. At Arsenal at home he controlled the tempo of a game against a very strong (at at that time in form) Arsenal midfield in a manner few central midfielders can do. He did similar against Liverpool as a teenager, and against QPR a couple of seasons back. He has that "in his locker" (to borrow a cliche) but we don't see it often enough.As the article indicated eventually he will run out of time as potential and reality will not meet.

I hope Ross stays as he has the potential to be a world class player (at the level Lukaku is currently at) but it is put up or shut up time.

Thanks for all the comments on this thread. I'm happy for it to be merged into the wider Barkley thread if the mods deem appropriate as much of the discussion seems to overlap, or keep it as a thread in it's own right.

On a couple of the points raised, I agree with @davek that Barkley is not between two stools but he is a creative midfielder. I suppose the difficulty is that he hasn't as yet done it consistently. He played Central midfield against Chelsea at home in a 3-0 defeat, away to Liverpool in a 3-1 defeat and on one or two other occasions. It's harsh to pin the blame centrally on him but it's not unfair to say that he hasn't excelled as he can in that position when given a chance. As a result Koeman has pushed him forward but he looks out of place in that role to me.

It's difficult and I know I am being unduly harsh on him when I say the above. However that is because he can be the best midfield player in the Premier League and that is the standard he needs to get to. At Arsenal at home he controlled the tempo of a game against a very strong (at at that time in form) Arsenal midfield in a manner few central midfielders can do. He did similar against Liverpool as a teenager, and against QPR a couple of seasons back. He has that "in his locker" (to borrow a cliche) but we don't see it often enough.As the article indicated eventually he will run out of time as potential and reality will not meet.

I hope Ross stays as he has the potential to be a world class player (at the level Lukaku is currently at) but it is put up or shut up time.

The comments sync with the front page article (so comments on the article appear here, and comments in this thread beneath the article), and I think it's well worthy of it's own thread ;)

If he stays I don't see him being first choice next season under Koeman

If he leaves for a team above he's in the same boat but more money and CL football

I see him moving this summer then again in another 2 years after he's not lived up to his "potential"

great piece @catcherintherye

Not particularly disagreeing here Dave, but for me Barkley the midfielder has been found out in the past two seasons - not that I think this is particularly Barkley's 'fault' as such.

When he first burst onto the scene (after a few cameos under Moyes) in pre-season 2013 and then obviously the following season, he was a breath of fresh air. He ran from deep, produced magic moments and scared defences.

That injury at the beginning of 2014/15 seemed to knock both is confidence and I think his pace off the mark suffered slightly as well. When he came back it was into a side playing well below their capabilities and unfortunately sides figured out a way to play against our midfield - basically, double-up on Barkley and restrict the space. Yes, he could still engineer some room with a turn of pace or bit of skill, but because of Martinez's style, the passing options when he did so were usually lateral, so there would still be nowhere to go - which is why most of our joy that season came against sides we could counter.

Start of 2015/16, Barkley took a step up. He showed real signs of not just re-finding his form, but also improving as a player. The side were also playing well going forward, which obviously helped.

But then in Feb 2016, when in fairness the whole team dipped, Ross just looked devoid of confidence. Martinez's system - by the end - wasn't getting the best out of anyone, but in Ross's case I think he actually took a step back.

So, pre-season this year, he looked sharp. Same with Deulofeu.

But for whatever reason, neither clicked in the first half of the campaign, with Barkley failing to cement any authority on games when played in the middle.

Ross's first 'really good' game this season IMO was Arsenal at home. He played left central midfield in a 4-1-4-1, but when we were on the attack he almost played as an inside forward.

This is the point for me that Koeman realised that Barkley would be more effective in that role, rather than in central midfield.

When he plays centrally, if the movement ahead of him is poor (which let's face it, it often is - which is why losing Bolasie was such a shame as his movement is very good and his pace helps as well) he tends to dally in possession, and I don't think he possesses the tools that Koeman likes in a midfielder. Energy to get up and down, aggressive but smart in the tackle and in possession.

Ross is a risk taker, which is what makes him the player he is and could still become, but Koeman's system relies upon having those players operating in the final third.

For me, Ross has taken another step in the back half of the season because of that tactical switch. Maybe it was necessity, or maybe Koeman happened upon it, but either way it's improved him as a player - and Ross has obviously done well to adapt to it.

We are keen to keep Ross but, as Catcher said, he may not be the key player we all thought he was or would be. Looking at Koeman's S'ton side as an example, I can't think of one 'stand-out' player that they could not win a game without for example. Cogs in a wheel.
I dont agree about him finding a role under Koeman. He's the free floating player he's always been. And he's as inconsistent under Koeman as he was under Martinez - although the latter did get more goals than this out of him and had him playing away from home, especially, as part of an attacking unit.

He needs a fixed role further back in the middle of the park and a manager who believes in him.

How many more years does he need to make that "breakthrough"? Let's be real, he's an average player with sparks of more than average.

This Everton team is his ceiling. If we really go through with some higher-profile transfers, he'll be a bench player.

Sell and get Sigurdsson and Klaassen. Much better players.

Status
Not open for further replies.