777 Partners - New Poll Added 18/10/23

New Poll... are you in favour of 777 Partners acquiring Everton FC

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is a possibility. Unlikely, but possible. Because if we were to get relegated and it saves them 10s of millions in the purchase price, they would miss out on the many 10s of millions prize money, and the many 10s of millions in sponsorship revenue and 10s of millions in matchday income and 10s of millions in marketing etc etc.

I really don't see it as a red flag, it is essentially the same as a player having a relegation release clause in his contract

The bit that is off to me is they are hoping to conclude the deal by the end of the year, they should still have over half a season and a transfer window on their watch to ensure we don't get relegated. By having a clause in the contract it's just giving them a bit of a win/win situation, that doesn't help the club or the fans! They should have the consequences all on them so they are motivated to do what it takes without any silver linings.

If the calculation for whatever you lose from not being in the premiership, minus the parachute payment, is less or around the same as the relegation discount they get from Moshiri then you can see how we have a conflict of interest. Bear in mind relegation could shed a load of season ticket holders that the club can sell those seats for the full price (doubling the money) and they may be thinking a reset could be partially beneficial. Of course they would have to back themselves to get us back up sharpish but they have history with that.

Tbh I think Moshiri is looking at it from a point of view that it is to rescue the club. By allowing 777 to pay for his shares at a later date means they can use their funds instead to pay off MSP and perhaps R&M and get the stadium over the line. All the immediate things that Moshiri cannot cover as it stands.

HOWEVER as you've pointed out as Moshiri is just focusing on getting over that hurdle he is totally ignoring the fact that when they are supposed to hand over an installment for his shares they could sell Pickford and that'll be say 80 million of the first 100 million owed and so on. Or can they at that stage go and borrow all that money, leveraged against the club thus getting around what the initial checks are designed to prevent but because how the deal has been structured they are able to pass the original test.
I would be surprised if the Prem doesn't raise that point, given the structure of the deal. Retiring the debt plus thirty-five percent equity is more or less the entire purchase price. If they're paying Moshiri in installments, they won't be over that cutline for a while, by any reasonable measure. They can put it on the club's balance sheet, but anyone with a brain would realize that's a loan to them by another name.

Arguably it's not in the other owners' interest to put a kibosh on the sale, but they also don't want clubs going into administration, because that's a reminder that there's risk to owning a Prem club, which is not what they're selling. They're selling the image of ever-increasing TV rights fueling ever-increasing club values that outpace growth in more conventional investment vehicles.

If it’s true that they are buying a PL football club but don’t actually have the money to do this then it’s obvious they intend to sweat the asset to pay the balance.

That being the case we need commentators and pundits with influence to start shouting this out.

It just isn’t ethical.
They'll be sweating an asset or assets. It isn't clear to me that it's us.

I can only come up with two rational explanations for buying us on leverage. One is that they intend to sweat their other assets to fund us, to the point of bankruptcy or administration in some cases. The reason they would do this is that a perennial Champions League club in the Prem with a modern stadium is worth a great deal more than what they paid. Several billion more, to be exact. Done right, they can get back what they put in with interest, even as other subsidiaries collapse. It doesn't work out real well for the rest of their portfolio or their bondholders, but they themselves get rich from next to nothing in the end.

The alternative is that they intend to sweat us to fund further acquisitions. That appears to have been their business model the whole time, so the only way I see that changing is if they calculate that Everton is their big opportunity for a killing. If the only way they can keep the circus going is by looting their businesses to buy more businesses, it won't be any different with us. They might have the opportunity for a killing, but not the finances to play their cards that way.

In general, the latter seems to be what happens in both these leveraged buyout situations and stadium builds. We all know which clubs, when, and how much. The only way out of the trap these days seems to be hitting the lottery, and getting an owner with deep enough pockets to play today's game. Those pockets have to be deep indeed, when competing with nation-states who can afford to self-finance by paying nonsense prices for media and naming rights.

The silence for 777 Group is deafening.

It's clear they are scrambling around for initial payment to see off MSP loan and Funds and Media too which is why Moshiri is happy to get his guaranteed £500m on drip.

I have huge concerns over the new Stadium:
Who will own it?
Will we have to pay rent on it?
Stadium Revenues be inputted into the team?

Also what will happen to Goodison now, given that it was to be a community hub, I think that will be sold for a potentially additional profit.
Hopefully the Goodison legacy to the community was part of the overall planning application for BMD which would mean it can't really be reneged on

Can the financial experts correct/clarify this:

- The module of this 777 partners/investors is each "investment" has different "investors", i can become one of their "partners" and invest money with them in one or more of their "investments" but not in all of them.

What's the pont though? Surely an investment firm would want the to at least challenge, so they have a chance of profit, layer down the line.

I wouldn't be suprised if we see a RB situation with them going forward, where we have feeder club system.

Why would anyone buy a [Poor language removed] show like Everton and then leave it to rot? We don't make any profit for them to cream off. We don't have any assets for them to strip we've got a massive load of liabilities on and off the field that can only work financially at all if we are in the Prem. Letting us rot and be relegated is financial suicide unless Moshiri is paying them to take the club.

Think we should retain an open mind at this stage.

Judge them on their actions, rather than all the noise.

Theres two ways we can look at this:

A: A footballing group situation where Everton is at the top of the pyramid. This would provide us with scouting networks across the globe, feeder clubs to develop top talent and also ways around FFP.

B: Looking at the current setup there arent any actual business deals done between the clubs in their portfolio. They all appear to be run as independent entities which have been purchased at good value as long term assets to hold until offers come in at a premium from another investor.

So far, things look like going down the route of B -- just because of what we can see at the other clubs.

The highest profit for the group would be to furn things into A but weve yet to see evidence of foundations for this.

Basically, on current evidence:
spidey.jpg

Can the financial experts correct/clarify this:

- The module of this 777 partners/investors is each "investment" has different "investors", i can become one of their "partners" and invest money with them in one or more of their "investments" but not in all of them.
The point of the whole thing is lack of transparency. There are valid reasons to do that. Financial reporting requirements mean hiring experts, and they don't work cheap. There are also less valid reasons to do that, such as money laundering, Ponzi schemes and accounting fraud.

They claim they don't sell equity stakes by choice, though of course that's hard to prove. If you work for one of the businesses, you can have an equity stake in it without being considered a third-party investor under US law. Get enough of those and you have to start filing reports with the SEC, which they very much do not want to do, because then they're dealing with auditors who would object to the actions leading to the all the complaints against their businesses.

The one founder, Steven Pasko, is obviously a junk bond guy given his resume. He's probably the one finding investors to buy the unregistered high-yield bonds I infer they issue in private sales to raise capital, again to avoid reporting requirements. The details in a couple of lawsuits made by former employees of Flair Airlines allege that they loaded that subsidiary up with even more expensive debt when bailing them out and marked up aircraft purchases by 25%, presumably to generate funds to make their own bond payments. On the face of it, those actions would seem to violate the fiduciary responsibilities to the company US courts hold directors of companies have. (Pasko and Wander were on the board until at least 2022, when Canadian regulators took exception to there being more foreigners on the board than allowed by law. They also had a guaranteed veto until Canadian regulators said they couldn't have that, either.)

777 has a habit of being late on payments, up to and including four aircraft repossessions in March, which is not something that happens every day. You always lose on a repo, and you lose real big when you repo three shiny new 737 MAX 8s, so a lender or lessor has to be pretty fed up. That created a million dollar problem for 777 in terms of guaranteed payments under Canadian law to the people whose flights were cancelled on short notice because they didn't have the planes, and a fifty million dollar lawsuit filed by the airline, who is trying to stop the lessor from reselling the planes.

As I've said before, my read on these guys is 'shady' rather than 'dirty', but we probably won't get an answer until/unless the whole thing blows up and we find out just how hard they were leveraged, how ridiculous the interest rates were and whether they were misrepresenting their financial condition in those sales.

When will we know, really? After the ink is dry as per the 777's statement. We need them to come out and let us know if our interests are aligned and if they have a plan to do it. Even if financial details cannot be disclosed, we at least need to know if our sporting side and their financial side don't have a conflict of interest.
We wouldn't be so tensed if these had a positive media profile and had a proper track record we could refer to. Assume they bought 'liege' on a similar deal to the one touted here, would that explain their sudden dip in on-field performance, or consider if every effort was made to ensure 'Genoa' stayed a Serie A side when they took over?
They are important issues that require further scrutiny, particularly for a large public-facing institution like EFC.