6 + 2 Point Deductions

To be fair to Villa fans, I've personally noticed that a lot of them seemed to sympathise with our plight when the points deduction was handed out. I don't mind them as much as some other clubs in the division.
Yeah I noticed that on twitter the villa fans was sympathetic with our situation and stuck up for us,I think the majority of fans feel uncomfortable about points deductions it’s not right

Please explain for someone soft:

If Villa have breached why weren't they charged along with us and Forest? Or is it just that their numbers look bad for the future.

Exactly. The threat of punishment for Villa unless they sell big in the next 12 months should highlight just how absurd these rules are for anyone but 6 clubs.
Our plight alone won’t get anything changed - that’s why it’s good to see other clubs potentially in trouble.
But isn’t the counter argument that 120m loss and an enormous wage bill on whatever their revenue is ISN’T sustainable. It’s as bad as our worst year and look how that turned out over time.

The rules could be better framed but they’re not JUST a conspiracy against the smaller clubs, there are reasons they exist otherwise they wouldn’t have been voted for.

And Plucky Villa aren’t the poster boys for FFP limiting success- they’ve thrown the absolute kitchen sink at their current position and fair play to them for succeeding but it’s been done off the back off some pretty wild, and yes unsustainable spending, and it’s not unreasonable they should sell a player or two to reduce their level of loss from the enormous one they’ve just posted.

From a business perspective, even if FFP didn’t exist, they should be looking at boosting their income with sales purely for financial health.

You've got to be in the Premier League to get a Premier League points deduction.

Fair enough. The headline says alleged breaches, as if they're already subjected to FFP allegations. Then the article speaks about a possible belief about a possible future in which they may possibly be the subject of alleged breaches.

I’ve noticed a bit of a pity party breaking out for villa fans among our support and TBH I can’t be bothered joining in- I remember arguing a lot with that Villa guy on here that they were doing all the things we did to get in trouble and he didn’t want to know, much like we didn’t want to worry about FFP before it suddenly came down on us.

They’ve done the same things as us- taking on a massive wage bill their revenue can’t justify, signing older players with little resale like Digne and Diego Carlos, it’s a short term strategy to buy success, they’ve done it better than us but it’s still a strategy that invites FFP issues. They could’ve learned that lesson from us.

Selling players at some point was an inevitable part of the strategy they played and they probably knew that all along, I don’t think it’s worthy of enormous sympathy.
No chance in hell that lad supported Villa I reckon

If Villa have breached why weren't they charged along with us and Forest? Or is it just that their numbers look bad for the future.
Its only Villas accounts for last year that were at the loss.

The season before they made 300k profit. So as long as they don't have losses the same next season they'll be fine..

I think. lol

But isn’t the counter argument that 120m loss and an enormous wage bill on whatever their revenue is ISN’T sustainable. It’s as bad as our worst year and look how that turned out over time.

The rules could be better framed but they’re not JUST a conspiracy against the smaller clubs, there are reasons they exist otherwise they wouldn’t have been voted for.

And Plucky Villa aren’t the poster boys for FFP limiting success- they’ve thrown the absolute kitchen sink at their current position and fair play to them for succeeding but it’s been done off the back off some pretty wild, and yes unsustainable spending, and it’s not unreasonable they should sell a player or two to reduce their level of loss from the enormous one they’ve just posted.

From a business perspective, even if FFP didn’t exist, they should be looking at boosting their income with sales purely for financial health.
What Villa are trying to do, and what we failed to do, is spend big in the short term in order to get long-term success (trophies, league position, Europe, and ultimately more revenue and fans).

It's almost impossible to do that without spending big. We've shown what happens if you try it and get it wrong - perilous league position and points deductions. Villa might end up showing what happens if you try it and get it 'right' - good league position and still the danger of points deductions or selling off the best players and returning to mediocrity.

Do the P&S rules force clubs to be sustainable? Well, you might be able to argue that, as you need to either spend within your means or suffer greatly because of it. In the world of sport - what's the point in being stable, if you are never going to even try to compete at the top?

I want to watch sport - where everyone is trying their best to win (a game, season, etc). I don't want to cheer for a business being sustainable.
I appreciate the two are inherently interlinked, but football is becoming more and more of a closed shop. P&S is helping it. It's not a conspiracy, but it severely affects anyone who doesn't already have large income streams. How do you get bigger income without either a) selling all your decent players, and never hoping to be near the top, or b) spend big, win things and become more appealing to global fans and sponsors. The rules, as they are, encourage clubs to do a).

Edit: I don't know what the answer is, but it doesn't feel like P&S is it.

Last edited:
Its only Villas accounts for last year that were at the loss.

The season before they made 300k profit. So as long as they don't have losses the same next season they'll be fine..

I think. lol
Need to know what the previous seasons profit was otherwise they should be in trouble for the period 21-23 as it’s a rolling 3 year period.
FYE 2021 they need to have posted around £15m profits.
2021 = ?
2022 = +£300k
2023 = -£120m
Total permitted losses for the period are £105m as I understand it.

Their next set of accounts look to indicate that they'll be riding very close to the edge and likely to tip if they don't bring a chunk of money in to balance it. A future charge could be based on their 'success' with that.

Need to know what the previous seasons profit was otherwise they should be in trouble for the period 21-23 as it’s a rolling 3 year period.
FYE 2021 they need to have posted around £15m profits.
2021 = ?
2022 = +£300k
2023 = -£120m
Total permitted losses for the period are £105m as I understand it.
@Tipp blue posted this

Villa have been loosing money for years they've just announced 120million loss for 2023..... they haven't made a profit for at least 12 years. Their numbers are as bad as ours.

View attachment 247995

Their next set of accounts look to indicate that they'll be riding very close to the edge and likely to tip if they don't bring a chunk of money in to balance it. A future charge could be based on their 'success' with that.
They also need to have posted a total profit of £15m or more across the two previous financial years too, it’s not just about next year.