6 + 2 Point Deductions

Trouble there won't be enough of this Arsenal fan below and will fall into tribalism where the issue of corrupt elite hide away.

*Arsenal fan - This is obscene, bearing in mind how top 6 clubs are able to flaunt ffp, why take this measure and essentially doom a club already struggling?? This is wrong and disgraceful. Chelsea an absolute sham, City, nuff said, maybe even my own team?? Fact is big clubs aren't subject to same laws. Unacceptable..."

Trouble there won't be enough of this Arsenal fan below and will fall into tribalism where the issue of corrupt elite hide away.

*Arsenal fan - This is obscene, bearing in mind how top 6 clubs are able to flaunt ffp, why take this measure and essentially doom a club already struggling?? This is wrong and disgraceful. Chelsea an absolute sham, City, nuff said, maybe even my own team?? Fact is big clubs aren't subject to same laws. Unacceptable..."

It seems like the harshness of the penalty is to do with the Premier league wishing to avoid being regulated by an external body.

Our local MP's and Andy Burnham should be campaigning for exactly this to happen. With the handling of our case (versus others) an example of how the Premier League can't govern themselves effectively.
I agree this could be the plan.
To avoid external regulation by showing how well and hard they can come down on transgressors without one - when needed to.
I wouldn’t be surprised if our complaints over the severity of the punishment now lead to the PL putting in place changes that mean other clubs avoid punishment.

Watched/listened to a lot of different channels this morning (up early) and they are more interested in us being sued by relegated teams now than us being badly done too.

This hasn’t floored me like I would have expected it to. Maybe it’s a case of laughing rather than crying because it’s so disproportionate. I just can’t see how this isn’t reduced on appeal. I’m no lawyer (and maybe someone with more experience than me has commented in this thread), but there’s so much that just doesn’t make sense.

Stadium costs unexpectedly increased due to war in Ukraine? Nah, doesn’t count.

Transfer market stagnating due to global pandemic, meaning we struggled to sell players? Nah, doesn’t count.

'Player X' essentially being written off as an asset due to reasons outside of the clubs control? Nah, doesn’t count.

Financial breach which, as the Premier League have confirmed, didn’t give us a sporting advantage? Your owners rich, so we’re gonna dock you more points than if you went into administration.

Crazy.

You'll get nothing from the local MP's.

As a staunch labour supporter, they're too comfortable having the safest seats in the country.

Isn't Alison McGovern the shadow of sport or something?

….Ian Byrne (West Derby) was quick to say ‘Everton wives and girlfriends should lock themselves away after a defeat’, it would be good if he was as quick to condemn this.

He won’t be getting my and my family’s vote despite us being Labour supporters. Not sure if McGovern is work and pensions.

Here’s a scenario:

Hit Everton with a disproportionate punishment for our offence.

Cause an outcry where the general consensus is that we’ve been treated unfairly.

Defend the sanction as “rules are rules and there’s nothing we can do in this case, but perhaps the rules are too severe.”

To prove they are listening, the Premier League change the rules for future offences, citing the outcry, letting City and Chelsea off the hook with a transfer ban and fine.

Ffp means we can never compete. It means the likes of Wolves, Villa etc won't be able to compete. Sure they might get one flash in the pan season but they're never getting champions league football on a regular.

We're in this situation because Bill sold the club to an oligarch. These are gangsters who have stolen whole industries from the people. Very bad judgement on his part. But also very unlucky for us. We lost £100m (or whatever) of sponsorship money over night. How can we get punished so hard for a situation totally out of our control with no means of recitfiing it quickly enough?

Throw in Sigurðsson and the stadium costs and it's an alost insurmountable task in the time given. It's amazing we managed to steady the ship. But we're down two decent players because of it.

Ffp is meant to stop clubs ruining themselves but it'll end up ruining us! Where's the logic in that!

This hasn’t floored me like I would have expected it to. Maybe it’s a case of laughing rather than crying because it’s so disproportionate. I just can’t see how this isn’t reduced on appeal. I’m no lawyer (and maybe someone with more experience than me has commented in this thread), but there’s so much that just doesn’t make sense.

Stadium costs unexpectedly increased due to war in Ukraine? Nah, doesn’t count.

Transfer market stagnating due to global pandemic, meaning we struggled to sell players? Nah, doesn’t count.

'Player X' essentially being written off as an asset due to reasons outside of the clubs control? Nah, doesn’t count.

Financial breach which, as the Premier League have confirmed, didn’t give us a sporting advantage? Your owners rich, so we’re gonna dock you more points than if you went into administration.

Crazy.
I think my anxiety has been tempered by the knowledge that if it was in the last two seasons it would finish us, and make no bones about it, that is what the PL wanted, they wanted the punishment rushed through last season to relegate us. God knows what goes on in that organisation that they would act with such desperation to prevent independent regulation.

As much as I agree with the appeal, I would hope on the playing side we operate like starting from 4 points is what will happen from here, because we have the team to get out of it.

Ffp means we can never compete. It means the likes of Wolves, Villa etc won't be able to compete. Sure they might get one flash in the pan season but they're never getting champions league football on a regular.

We're in this situation because Bill sold the club to an oligarch. These are gangsters who have stolen whole industries from the people. Very bad judgement on his part. But also very unlucky for us. We lost £100m (or whatever) of sponsorship money over night. How can we get punished so hard for a situation totally out of our control with no means of recitfiing it quickly enough?

Throw in Sigurðsson and the stadium costs and it's an alost insurmountable task in the time given. It's amazing we managed to steady the ship. But we're down two decent players because of it.

Ffp is meant to stop clubs ruining themselves but it'll end up ruining us! Where's the logic in that!

Thats the real reason for FFP. They want as closed shop as they can get for a number of clubs.

A definite change in tone from the media today, particularly sky. Clearly a lot of phone calls have gone in over night as the reaction yesterday was that the punishment is ridiculous, and the PL narrative all too obvious.

The only worry I have is that after the appeal they increase it to 12 points. I'm basing that on the stories from the other week.

Won't lie, terrible nights kip waking up every half hour and the deduction and manner of it right into my mindset.
One thing of deep concern to me is the time taken for any appeal verdict to be reached. Before the end of the season is all that's being spouted.
The longer it drags on the more the league table is established and in my opinion this could be a consideration if a points reduction were to be found appropriate. Can you imagine the bottle jobs reducing our penalty and getting points reinstated in say April and by doing so catapulted us away from relegation.

I'm actually the opposite, I honestly don't care that much.

I get live coverage of every EPL game and apart from Everton I don't think I've watched a full game all season. I have just lost interest in the premier league as a whole. I have watched 2 champions league games this century, and that is only because my son wanted to watch them with me.

A lot of people are saying they can see the day when football will eat itself, that day happened for me many years ago
Same here really. Have a subscription to Viaplay, so I can watch the Everton games. Not one bit interested in the Premier League besides that anymore. Haven't watched MOTD for a few years now and don't miss it one bit either.

Also loved the Championship before, probably my fave competition in the world, but in reality it's just a race to get into that corrupt institution called the English Premier League. So gave up watching that also.

Don't watch International football, Champions League, Europa League or Conference League, except for if one of the three clubs I have an affinity towards are in it. For two of them that's miles away at the moment.