Europa or none at all

• Europa League

Votes: 134 77.5%
  • No thanks, swerve it.

Votes: 39 22.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask me 6 weeks ago, i'd have said CL or nothing, the EL is a distraction, and to be fair, it is just that. But the EL brings the fans the opportunity for some great aways like Villarreal, Nurnburg, Kharkiv and Lisbons even though we may have lost some, the feeling being a blue on one of those must be great.

I say yes to EL as the fans need it. I've never seen us abroad, and would love to... can't do that if we're not in it.

I have just read online that the Europa League changes again at the start of the 2015/16 season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_UEFA_Europa_League

Format changes[edit]

The UEFA Executive Committee held in May and September 2013 approved the following changes to the UEFA Europa League starting from the 2015–16 season (for the three-year cycle until the 2017–18 season):[1]
The title holders of the UEFA Europa League will qualify for the UEFA Champions League, and therefore no Europa League berth will be reserved for them (however it is still possible for them to defend their title if they drop down to the Europa League after Champions League elimination).
All associations will have a maximum of three teams entering the Europa League (previously associations 7–9 have four entrants)
The number of teams directly qualifying for the group stage will be increased to 16 teams from the top 12 associations (from the previous six teams from the top six associations)
Should the domestic cup winners qualify for the Champions League, the cup runners-up will no longer be granted a spot in the Europa League, and the spot will be given to the highest-placed team in the league which have not yet qualified for European competitions.[2]

I think these changes could be important for us in the long run;

1. league places 5 & 6 are more likely to be Europa League places (due to cup runner up non longer being granted a place)

2. The team placed 7th in the league may also get a Europa League place, if the winner of both cup competitions comes from the top 5

There is a page on the Champions league changes from 2015 onwards which says that the limit of teams from one league will be increased, from 4 to 5, to account for winners of the competition finishing outside the qualification places within their own league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_UEFA_Champions_League

So in theory the Premier League could have 5 teams in the Champions League and 3 teams in the Europa League, from 2015 season ;)

If Liverpool get to the FA Cup final and play someone like Sheff Wed, and we finish 7th, would we need Liverpool to win to secure us Europa League qualification? Imagine that, omg

If Liverpool get to the FA Cup final and play someone like Sheff Wed, and we finish 7th, would we need Liverpool to win to secure us Europa League qualification? Imagine that, omg

Not this season though? Wouldn't it actually work in our favour if Wednesday won, as Liverpool would already be in CL so wouldn't qualify, smaller team go in as winners so the runner up spot to the league? Or am I getting confused there?

In future though, yes that's how it'd be!

Or we could get to two cup finals, lose them both and finish 6th and not get into Europe.

There are loads of different options.

The maddest one for me is that Premier League teams could win both the Champions League and Europa League. What happens if both of these teams finish outside the top 5?

I would presume 4th place would get bumped down to Europa League and 5th place could get nothing (depending on the cup winners)?

This is probably an improbable scenario for most leagues other than the Premier....

Status
Not open for further replies.