25 Years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accepted that I'd never see Everton win the league the day that Rooney left at the age of just 18. Before then, I was able to tell myself that football was cyclical, and so eventually we'd see our own Gerrard / Scholes / Giggs come through the ranks and become the talisman that a great team could be built around.

Now, I'm just glad that I was at Wembley in '95, even if I wasn't old enough to enjoy it like I would have if we'd won in 2009. I'd be amazed if we managed so much as a Champions League group stage appearance at this point.

We're unlikely to win the title again for a long time so the cups are our chances of glory but since our last trophy we've been knocked out of the League Cup and FA Cup by a host of lower division clubs.

Since 1995 we've been beat by the likes of Millwall (twice), Port Vale, York City, Bradford,Sunderland,Oxford Utd, Bristol Rovers,Tranmere, Crystal Palace (then a Championship club), Shrewsbury, Oldham, Brentford, Reading, Leeds Utd and Norwich (then in the Championship).

All Premier League clubs suffer a 'giant killing' from time to time but that is an utterly shameful list.

Our performances the cups have been a joke for decades. Moyes was in charge nearly 6 years before we even reached a quarter final under him.

It really makes my blood boil when we get our annual early exit from the League Cup and some Blues just dismiss it with 'who cares it's only a mickey mouse cup' when it's one of only two shots at silverware for us every season.

Last edited:

I get that, and you're right.

But I think all Evertonians do feel that embarrasment and we dont need sky reminding us of it every 2 minutes.

My point is they could have chosen to highlight the fact we won a cup in 95. Instead they have chosen to highlight the fact that we HAVENT won a cup since 95
If they’d highlighted the fact that we won the cup Twenty Five years ago, most of us would have thought they were taking the p- - s.

Status
Not open for further replies.