18 months in

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 significant trophies in ten years would be a fantastic achievement assuming the current PL status quo remains. Obviously I'd hope for more and dream of bigger but I'd be delighted with that.

He's a fantastic manager who manages the fans as well as the players.

I just get the feeling us and him where made for each other.

I generally think the only poor signing has been Kone, but given the circumstances, how was Roberto to know that he'd do his ACL and be out for a year, at his age, he was never going to come back the same player. Things could have went differently but £5m was a lot for a lad who wasn't gonna ever be a 'worldy' for us. However, at the time, he had scored 11 in 33 league games for Wigan, and two more in the cup, we'd take that from Eto'o this season, so we would have for a far less talented Koné.

Aside from that £500k for Joel isn't anything to be upset about, the flourishing form of Coleman, Stones, Barkley, McCarthy is exciting if being modest, our squad has gone from paper thin, to being able to have players like Eto'o, Pienaar, McGeady, Osman, Oviedo, Kone, Gibson, Distin and Alcaraz to our disposal when at our strongest. Let's face it, he's done a cracking job at turning us around, and it's great. If you were feeling negative about his appointment, then you can truly raise your hand, and see what a cracking job at turning us around he's done.

We've gone from a strong workhorse side under Moyes, to a slick, high tempo, high quality team who wants to win every week, and yes, we had a tough start, but it happens, now we can build on it, and produce a great run from now until January, which might propel us deep into top 4 territory, where, should have have a period of growth like we have in the last 18 months before then, could easily compete, as for this 'rubbish' start, we're only 4 points off top 4, with United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool boxed off, and City x 2, Spurs and Southampton as the tricky games up until 31st January. Come on the Blues.

I generally think the only poor signing has been Kone, but given the circumstances, how was Roberto to know that he'd do his ACL and be out for a year, at his age, he was never going to come back the same player. Things could have went differently but £5m was a lot for a lad who wasn't gonna ever be a 'worldy' for us. However, at the time, he had scored 11 in 33 league games for Wigan, and two more in the cup, we'd take that from Eto'o this season, so we would have for a far less talented Koné.

Aside from that £500k for Joel isn't anything to be upset about, the flourishing form of Coleman, Stones, Barkley, McCarthy is exciting if being modest, our squad has gone from paper thin, to being able to have players like Eto'o, Pienaar, McGeady, Osman, Oviedo, Kone, Gibson, Distin and Alcaraz to our disposal when at our strongest. Let's face it, he's done a cracking job at turning us around, and it's great. If you were feeling negative about his appointment, then you can truly raise your hand, and see what a cracking job at turning us around he's done.

We've gone from a strong workhorse side under Moyes, to a slick, high tempo, high quality team who wants to win every week, and yes, we had a tough start, but it happens, now we can build on it, and produce a great run from now until January, which might propel us deep into top 4 territory, where, should have have a period of growth like we have in the last 18 months before then, could easily compete, as for this 'rubbish' start, we're only 4 points off top 4, with United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool boxed off, and City x 2, Spurs and Southampton as the tricky games up until 31st January. Come on the Blues.

Great post mate, although I dont like the Kone signing can be considered poor for the reasons youve outlined.

The future looks good.

I received a beautiful email from him today with a youtube video of him wishing me a Happy Birthday. Just beautiful. I love the man!!
Yeah, nice touch isn't it? Quite surprising as well, you just think it's the regular promo crap Everton send and BAM, "Happy Birthday Video from Martinez".

Boss.

In 18 months we've gone from being in the mind of the manager, proud "over-achievers" who perhaps had reached a ceiling to expecting greater things and the real prospects of silverware in coming years.

Expectations have risen enormously on the back of an incredibly positive manager, a stronger squad and an ever improving style of football (even with the variable results so far this season).

We travel in hope, the crucial difference being we are on an upward curve and genuinely closing the gap between ourselves and those with stronger squads and much greater budgets.

In addition we've re-found our belief, we're no longer over-achieving, we're currently under-achieving with the expectation of achieving more in the near future.

This isn't the only post that reminds me of this, but fair enough starting point--in another thread someone mentioned there are new songs. New songs after years of no new songs. Feels a bit Tolkienian to note this, but it's quite important.

Last edited:

......I honestly thought it would be a major achievement to keep the status quo once Moyes left. It was a critical appointment, a potential crossroads in our existence but RM has actually improved us. Delighted with him.

I'll should add, well done Chairman for the appointment (I am often critical of Bill).

This isn't the only post that reminds me of this, but fair enough starting point--in another thread someone mentioned there are new songs. New songs after years of no new songs. Feels a bit Tolkienian to note this, but it's quite important.

It's symptomatic
Not a ridiculous observation by any counts- Moyes years if anyone suggested songs on this forum they'd immediately get shut down. Mostly because the songs were utter jizzrags (what rhymes well with lars jacobson anyway?)
Now people want to sing. And that's good. Very good.

It's symptomatic
Not a ridiculous observation by any counts- Moyes years if anyone suggested songs on this forum they'd immediately get shut down. Mostly because the songs were utter jizzrags (what rhymes well with lars jacobson anyway?)
Now people want to sing. And that's good. Very good.

Another progression. We finally have a song list longer than 2 songs and it is all because of the feel good factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.